What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Those same thai seeds grown in a western environment will take a long time to acclimatize and won't make the same type of high, the seedbanks made seeds who would grow in climates much difficult than their original environments, you have to trade something to have the possibility to grow in your basement or backyard.

xtsho

Yes, I hate to think what was thrown out.

When I first discovered seed banks I thought I'd be able to get all that old stuff. How wrong I was.

A trip to Thailand and Laos about a decade ago convinced me of two things;
I found very similar highs to Thai stick (although not quite the same) so I know that my memory wasn't faulty.

After decades of buying seeds (hybrids) I found the best high I'd had in ages came from a third world village. Seed banks have not necessarily improved cannabis.

Those Thai Sticks from the 70's were something special. People were getting baked from smoking that weed. I've found similar effects from some of the heirloom strains I've grown in recent years.

The best weed to be found is not some modern day hybrid. It's an heirloom that nobody grows except for a small number of us.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Those same thai seeds grown in a western environment will take a long time to acclimatize and won't make the same type of high, the seedbanks made seeds who would grow in climates much difficult than their original environments, you have to trade something to have the possibility to grow in your basement or backyard.
I disagree. I've grown landrace and sativa crosses both inside and out and got pretty much the same highs. Plus I'm in a hot sub tropical area quite similar to Thailand, ideal for sativa. I assume by Western environment you're talking of Northern climates of North America or Europe.

JetLife175

Veteran
Question to anyone in the know?

Is the Band-Aid Haze similar to what we would consider top shelf in the 90s????

xtsho

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Just stop with the nonsense. If anything we're growing these strains better than they've ever been grown.

The high is the same or better.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I disagree. I've grown landrace and sativa crosses both inside and out and got pretty much the same highs. Plus I'm in a hot sub tropical area quite similar to Thailand, ideal for sativa. I assume by Western environment you're talking of Northern climates of North America or Europe.
Maybe you have a good climate for this type of cannabis but if I try to grow some thai where I was growing outdoor before the result would be catastrophic, my uncles tried some bagseeds from many places but the results were clearly not at the same quality than the original buds could be.

kro-magnon

Veteran
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Just stop with the nonsense. If anything we're growing these strains better than they've ever been grown.

The high is the same or better.
Let me be doubtful, you can't take a plant from her native climate and expect the same results in a different one even with years of acclimation.
it is the basic of biology:
-phenotype= genetic + climate, changing the climate change the phenotype expression.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Maybe you have a good climate for this type of cannabis but if I try to grow some thai where I was growing outdoor before the result would be catastrophic, my uncles tried some bagseeds from many places but the results were clearly not at the same quality than the original buds could be.
I grow very good sativas and landrace indoors mainly. The difference in the high between my indoors and occasional outdoors is so minor you can hardly tell. There are a few threads on here where growers are achieving great results outdoors in what look like awful climates, so I'm not sure it's so simple.

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
Let me be doubtful, you can't take a plant from her native climate and expect the same results in a different one even with years of acclimation.
-phenotype= genetic + climate, changing the climate change the phenotype expression.
Bipedal kromag sumbitch gonna a hug, been a while since I made dinner with another caveman

Old Piney

Ok with the Thai you may need a long season a green house or light deprivation but this statement isn't true. I've been growing Morrocan beldia from Khalifa genetics, it's an old school Moroccan sativa semi-auto hash plant ,with great success in soaking wet humid New Jersey in contrast it's home in North African desert mountains. Another example quite a few Hindukush strains with stinky fuel sent and tight bud are very mold resistant in wet climates. the only way to know is to just give it a go, it's not all in that biology book

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Ok with the Thai you may need a long season a green house or light deprivation but this statement isn't true. I've been growing Morrocan beldia from Khalifa genetics, it's an old school Moroccan sativa semi-auto hash plant ,with great success in soaking wet humid New Jersey in contrast it's home in North African desert mountains. Another example quite a few Hindukush strains with stinky fuel sent and tight bud are very mold resistant in wet climates. the only way to know is to just give it a go, it's not all in that biology book
I don't say you can't grow some landraces out of their original environment with more or less success, I say it can't be the same phenotypical expression in a different climate than their original;

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
This thing about plants needing years of acclimation to show the proper effect is complete bullshit.

Anyone that has grown the same clone indoors and outdoors knows you can't tell a difference in the effect.

Same thing when you harvest the same clone outdoors in spring, summer, autumn or winter. Completely different environmental conditions. Plant morphology will change, resin coverage will change, calyx to leaf ratio will change. Effect will stay the same.

Edit - I've grown my favourite maple leaf clone easily over 25-30 times, in 3 different houses, under LEDs, fluos and HPS, outdoors in every season, small pots, big pots, in the ground. Effect was exactly as expected every time.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

Cept you are wrong about quite a bit of what you are saying.
I think the reason no one is sharing with you is pretty obvious by now but keep on squawking.
😆
Not liking someone online and not liking them in person are two different things.

I know some people in real life that the kids these days would call “beta cucks” that are super aggressive social media trolls.

On the other end, my brother is the nicest guy on Facebook, but will punch somebody right in their shit in a hot second.

cbotany

Veteran
Taste is an individual thing, not just actual taste, but desired effect etc.
For me, good haze hybrids that don’t make me tired, and pure skunk/gas reek indicas with zero hint of any other smells are hard to find now.

Part of it may just be stuff getting lost in all the other choices we have now.
I'm not a fan of angus, but if you want gas reek check out the real seed company the afgani landraces are where the reek comes from, if you really want to up the reek check out katsu bluebird (hes a nice guy) ask him about gas/reek combining the landrace afgani with some of katsus work would give you quite a nice stank. I get "skunky plants" and even what I remember for rks but after going around a few wild skunks lately, none have smelled just like the skunks I've been smelling... I'm not doubting plants can smell just like that, but its hard to have it completely down

The effect of non tired can be your own personal chemistry, with me, most strains pulled early will be more up lifting, but look into africans, thai, thcv 1/1, most of these plants come with a trait that causes them to throw nanners when not kept humid, or happy, you have to feed a higher n, and don't push nutes even if the plant likes it.

I breed "haze" type plants, but I'm not gonna self promote... Tom hill, ag seed co, and a few others have amazing haze plants, I promote zomia seeds quite a bit because they're lesser known, I'd email them or go on their discord to find what you're looking for. (sorry I forgot to mention ACE, they have very good seeds, but I've only grown their jap)

kro-magnon

Veteran
It works, you can tell spots that hold more water from the hieght, thickness, and health of surrounding vegetation compared to vegetation outside the swales influence. Swales have huge impact
It's something I found by hazard on youtube and I think it's a fantastic way to collect water and use it for your crops, whatever you want to grow in those it should work. Once I'm back in my family farm I'll build one to see if I can make it work. Fantastic technic who is apparently very old.

haze*ekiel420

There is also a significant amount of foreign entities using land in the USA to grow crops and ship those crops back to their home countries. They're willing to pay more and that's driving prices higher.
R u serious? What Are you Talking about?

Hiddenjems

PetePrice

How does that matter? Some still exist in very similar form as they did decades ago when these modern hybrids you put so much value on were created. It's probable that if more people started working with these strains that hybrids surpassing the ones you put so much emphasis on would be created.

And integrated into what pool? Todays ridiculous strain and seed market?

My philosophy regarding cannabis differs from yours but is similar to many others. You're looking at a small segment of the overall gene pool based on popular hybrids over the last few decades. Some of us look at the gene pool in it's entirety worldwide. That's fine. You can focus on a small subset of the big picture. But the gene pool is more than just the latest hybrid made from other hybrids.
How does that matter hahahaha.... So now only some still exist so that bit of the genepool is eroded or changed forever! Hard not to get away from that, just like with human populations things change and nothing stays the same forever!! Now it's today's ridiculous strain and seed market hahaha what are you moaning about it for? If you don't use it?
You state if people work with these strains then they can surpass the current hybrid selections we have, well who is doing it? Who is shifting thru thousands of seeds and doing the work?
I think you're out to lunch with your thinking, where's all the Acapulco gold etc ??
It's not me putting value on modern hybrids it's the friggin world ffs, go see what sells on the streets.
How you looking at the genepool in its entirety then? You going round farmer to farmer, country to country? Are you fuck....

It's like you don't understand how we and strains/seeds got to were we are ffs ..

Actually come to think of it that must be some good shit to smoke to get you like that, pass it on...

Latest posts

Latest posts