What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

xtsho

I need to learn it ? I know it means large, that’s why I’m telling you what your doing in your tent has zero effect on the genepool. So all you guys talking down about what available “at large” , what are you doing besides complaining ?

You're out there. Of course what I do as one man out of billions on this planet isn't having any negligible effect.

Seriously though, what point are you trying to make? All you're doing is trying to denigrate me in a round about way.

Me thinks you an unhappy soul. Find something you're passionate about and run with it. Trying to be King Kong Keyboard Warrior isn't working out.

You're arguing without having a valid argument. Makes no sense.

Old Piney

But those original landrace strains/selections are long gone, so without time travel we are here pissing in this current drug cannabis pool! Can new selections from landraces be done? Sure but will they be integrated into pool? Who knows...
They aren't all gone far from it and you can get them . There's so much out there to explore. For me the “ pool” selections and hybrids take a second place to preserving landraces. First I do a controlled open pollination to do my best to preserve all the genetic diversity. So we have something to select from down the line. Like I said before ,Angus of TRSC has collected so many that apparently no has grow yet So get some seed of one or two and give them a go if you can . If we all could preserve just one and we communicate, collectively a lot could be acomplished

eastcoastjoe

Why would I release anything to anyone? I'm not doing anything for money or recognition. I'm doing it for myself.

And I've never bragged about being in any special circles. I've merely stated that some of us are sharing things with each other. There is nothing special about what I'm doing. Many others are doing the same thing. I just happen to know some of them. If you don't know anyone willing to share with you other posters have already addressed that issue so I won't get into that.

And I don't want to make this work. I have an occupation. I've tapered back the amount of time I actually work but I still work. This is more of a hobby and educational endeavor for me.

Why are you so desperate to try and discredit me? This is the 4th or 5th thread you've done this in. Focus on things that can benefit you. Because I'm not it. I don't understand what you're end goal is by engaging me the way you have been.

Then why complain 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dime

Here where I am nearing 52N , acre lots are going for roughly 45 to 60 thousand Canadian. Farmland acreages are a little cheaper per acre but then there is buildings ect.
I thought about buying a 160 acre "farm" not long ago, down in more southern area near the 49 that is an excellent growing climate. It was 540,000 at the time, with a house, a big barnwith attached shop and a 60 x 20 greenhouse frame only.(needed work) . Now that same property is assessed at 1.1 million LOL
Elsewhere in Canada land can be bought alot cheaper but growing climate matters if it is outdoor farming a guy has in mind. Landrace preservation would be very tough though..... with the right selections for sure but the scope would be
Farmland is 20k an acre where I live and still rising and it's clay. Serviced building lots in the small town near me are 100k. It's insane.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Farmland is 20k an acre where I live and still rising and it's clay. Serviced building lots in the small town near me are 100k. It's insane.
I don't understand how the farmland got so expensive in North America compared to France, yet Canada and USA are so much bigger, the price for farmland should be less expensive?
It varies a lot depending on the region but i's on average 4/5K an hectare, 2/3 being the lowest and 10/12 the highest(maybe a bit more for specific wine regions)

Dime

I don't understand how the farmland got so expensive in North America compared to France, yet Canada and USA are so much bigger, the price for farmland should be less expensive?
It varies a lot depending on the region but i's on average 4/5K an hectare, 2/3 being the lowest and 10/12 the highest(maybe a bit more for specific wine regions)
Neither do I since machinery,ferts,taxes etc are so high here plus low wages considering the meager buying power of the dollar.

xtsho

Hiddenjems

I for one have never had access to genetics like I do today... I have almost unlimited genetics from inbred lines to landraces to true wild genetics.... I've read and skimmed this post and comments quite a bit and I disagree with 99% of whats said, some may become angry at me for saying this, but I feel like most of the information given has just been parroted from others who are also on the outside of the growers circles due to unlikable personalities.
Taste is an individual thing, not just actual taste, but desired effect etc.
For me, good haze hybrids that don’t make me tired, and pure skunk/gas reek indicas with zero hint of any other smells are hard to find now.

Part of it may just be stuff getting lost in all the other choices we have now.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Modern hybrids have their place but if you're talking of memorable highs that have stood out in my life, most of them are landrace. The original thread post talked of unique. That's what many hybrids miss as far as a high goes. Some of those like true Thai stick you cannot seem to get anymore, although there are plenty of Thai options.

I like that I can buy landrace from somewhere like TRSC. In the old days though we essentially got imported landrace along with seeds you could grow yourself. Not sure that the modern world is better than that tbh. I select seeds now based on recommendations, whereas in the past I selected directly from experience.

Great thread and some interesting views.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Taste is an individual thing, not just actual taste, but desired effect etc.
For me, good haze hybrids that don’t make me tired, and pure skunk/gas reek indicas with zero hint of any other smells are hard to find now.

Part of it may just be stuff getting lost in all the other choices we have now.
The small scale operations are harder to find than the big sellers of course, they don't use the same amount of money to be seen as much as possible. Finding seeds who differs a bit of the average hybrid is possible with a bit of research and recommendations.

mudballs

There is a huge project in Africa to reclaim some growing grounds on the desert, they use a old technique dating from antiquity times, they create some half moon who are bit more elevated than the soil and it makes a water trap,they can grow some trees making lots of fruits without watering them thanks to this method.
This is an idea for the poor americans who can't afford to water cannabis plants.
They're called "swales" and kudos to you.

xtsho

Modern hybrids have their place but if you're talking of memorable highs that have stood out in my life, most of them are landrace. The original thread post talked of unique. That's what many hybrids miss as far as a high goes. Some of those like true Thai stick you cannot seem to get anymore, although there are plenty of Thai options.

I like that I can buy landrace from somewhere like TRSC. In the old days though we essentially got imported landrace along with seeds you could grow yourself. Not sure that the modern world is better than that tbh. I select seeds now based on recommendations, whereas in the past I selected directly from experience.

Great thread and some interesting views.

I cringe when I think about all the seeds I tossed back in the late 70's and early 80's from the Thai sticks, Hawaiian, Colombian, Jamaican, etc... Had I kept them they likely wouldn't be viable today but just knowing that I threw away something that would be special today leaves me feeling like I did something wrong.

xtsho

This study includes a series of experiments to establish an efficient cryopreservation system for Cannabis sativa. Based on these results, it was determined that standard vitrification-based cryopreservation can be effectively used to cryopreserve nodal explants from in vitro plants, representing an efficient and sanitary protocol for long-term germplasm conservation. While the protocol worked across all 13 genotypes evaluated, there was significant variation in both survival and regrowth. While further optimization of the cryopreservation protocol may improve outcomes, it is likely that it results from variable responses to in vitro culture in general and it may be more effective to address the basic culture system to improve the results rather than further refining the cryopreservation methods. Regardless, the final protocol was successful in all 13 commercial genotypes tested and could be used for long-term preservation.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I cringe when I think about all the seeds I tossed back in the late 70's and early 80's from the Thai sticks, Hawaiian, Colombian, Jamaican, etc... Had I kept them they likely wouldn't be viable today but just knowing that I threw away something that would be special today leaves me feeling like I did something wrong.
Yes, I hate to think what was thrown out.

When I first discovered seed banks I thought I'd be able to get all that old stuff. How wrong I was.

A trip to Thailand and Laos about a decade ago convinced me of two things;
I found very similar highs to Thai stick (although not quite the same) so I know that my memory wasn't faulty.

After decades of buying seeds (hybrids) I found the best high I'd had in ages came from a third world village. Seed banks have not necessarily improved cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts