What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

Old Piney

I don't know the prices in the us and when I ask how much a project would cost there is no real answer. The requirements to grow landraces are not the same than fragile hybrids and don't need so much water or work done on them to produce seeds. Can you tell me roughly a grow like this could cost in the US?
Not really but if you're really thinking about moving and doing it I believe you should look into Vermont , it has a nice climate and good laws and political environment for cannabis. I believe there are several legal seed producers using hemp farming licenses there now. If you do ,hay you might as well sell the seeds ,make a buck and reclaim some of your investment

kro-magnon

Veteran
Here where I am nearing 52N , acre lots are going for roughly 45 to 60 thousand Canadian. Farmland acreages are a little cheaper per acre but then there is buildings ect.
I thought about buying a 160 acre "farm" not long ago, down in more southern area near the 49 that is an excellent growing climate. It was 540,000 at the time, with a house, a big barnwith attached shop and a 60 x 20 greenhouse frame only.(needed work) . Now that same property is assessed at 1.1 million LOL
Elsewhere in Canada land can be bought alot cheaper but growing climate matters if it is outdoor farming a guy has in mind. Landrace preservation would be very tough though..... with the right selections for sure but the scope would be narrow
There is a huge difference of prices between constructible land and agricole land in my country, what I got is a piece of land where no construction is possible and for a field it's small that's why it was cheap, I bought more than 10 years ago also.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Not really but if you're really thinking about moving and doing it I believe you should look into Vermont , it has a nice climate and good laws and political environment for cannabis. I believe there are several legal seed producers using hemp farming licenses there now. If you do ,hay you might as well sell the seeds ,make a buck and reclaim some of your investment
Thanks but for now I have no intention to move out of my country, in fact I would like to move back to my family's farm in the south in a few years. Hopefully the law will be different here or I'll keep growing illegally at a smeller scale than I would legally.

xtsho

You're being a smart ass here ,that's not the direct parents of the Super Skunk but distant relatives, not really the same. But again I never pretended to be a preservationist just asking you who say you are why you don't do it at a bigger scale as it is legal for you to do it.

What the hell are you talking about? Nobody is being a smart ass. You asked a question I gave you an answer. Depending on which Super Skunk you're talking about the direct parents vary. But if you trace it back all the way the parents were Afghani, Columbian, and Mexican.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that your plan of just buying some land, planting a bunch of plants, and making seeds is not feasible. You have to isolate different strains when making seeds. You can't do that outdoors.

You also don't understand the laws here. It might be legal to grow for personal use but their are plant limits. Once you go over a certain amount of plants you have to obtain a commercial license. Where I live they are not issuing any new licenses. The moratorium on issuing licenses was recently extended last April indefinitely.

And if you're not a preservationist then why complain about those of us that are actually preserving stuff are not doing enough? It's not difficult but it's more than just growing a bunch of plants outdoors. I have separate rooms I use for different plants when I'm making seeds so that there is no chance of unwanted cross pollination.

Your thought process doesn't make sense.

Have a good day.

eastcoastjoe

What have you "preserved" so far?

Of course you put the onus on others to prove something you feel you’ve done yourself lol. It was a fair question he asked you.
And before you say free Leonard, just realize you had no hand in creating that and it was commercially sold on attitude for years

kro-magnon

Veteran
All I said is don't complain of the current offerings if you don't do anything to make it different than the average seed line when you have the opportunity. It seems you prefer to do your little things alone despite it having almost zero impact instead of creating a real preservation movement.
And to have different strains outdoor to avoid cross contamination you can keep males in frames with anti-pollen tissue, or isolate them in a different site, there is many options.

Last edited:

eastcoastjoe

You're not doing any actual preservation work. You're just saving your favorite hybrids. Preservation of the gene pool would be preserving the strains that were used to make that Super Skunk.

It’s funny to see people throw the term “preservation” around when in reality, what your doing has zero effect on the genepool. If your not contributing material to the actual pool for people to access and continue , it just means your a hobby chucker

eastcoastjoe

You can get Afghani from ACE or the Real Seed company. Ace has some central American Sativa's that are likely going to be as close as you can get to the Mexican and Columbian.
What the hell are you talking about? Nobody is being a smart ass. You asked a question I gave you an answer. Depending on which Super Skunk you're talking about the direct parents vary. But if you trace it back all the way the parents were Afghani, Columbian, and Mexican.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that your plan of just buying some land, planting a bunch of plants, and making seeds is not feasible. You have to isolate different strains when making seeds. You can't do that outdoors.

You also don't understand the laws here. It might be legal to grow for personal use but their are plant limits. Once you go over a certain amount of plants you have to obtain a commercial license. Where I live they are not issuing any new licenses. The moratorium on issuing licenses was recently extended last April indefinitely.

And if you're not a preservationist then why complain about those of us that are actually preserving stuff are not doing enough? It's not difficult but it's more than just growing a bunch of plants outdoors. I have separate rooms I use for different plants when I'm making seeds so that there is no chance of unwanted cross pollination.

Your thought process doesn't make sense.

Have a good day.

Come on now, there was one real super skunk. You mean to tell me a preservationist like yourself doesn’t know what super skunk was made from ?

xtsho

It’s funny to see people throw the term “preservation” around when in reality, what your doing has zero effect on the genepool. If your not contributing material to the actual pool for people to access and continue , it just means your a hobby chucker

I never said I wasn't. But there is absolutely nothing special about anything you're doing. You go around bragging but you're just a legend in your own mind. For that matter 90% of the people making seeds that people are buying are just glorified chuckers. Just because you sell seed or clones doesn't mean anything.

What university did you obtain your degree in plant science from? Did you do any graduate studies? PhD?

eastcoastjoe

But there is absolutely nothing special about anything you're doing.

I’m not sure what it is you think I’m bragging about ? I don’t even talk about what I’m doing on here. What exactly do you think I’m doing that isn’t special ?

eastcoastjoe

I never said I wasn't. But there is absolutely nothing special about anything you're doing. You go around bragging but you're just a legend in your own mind. For that matter 90% of the people making seeds that people are buying are just glorified chuckers. Just because you sell seed or clones doesn't mean anything.

What university did you obtain your degree in plant science from? Did you do any graduate studies? PhD?

My main point I’ve been making for weeks is this. Why do you guys keep complaining about the genepool is suffering but you offer nothing to it to make it better ?

Before you redirect it to me, realize I haven’t said the genepool needs “saving” because I think it’s going to be just fine the way it is

xtsho

Come on now, there was one real super skunk. You mean to tell me a preservationist like yourself doesn’t know what super skunk was made from ?

Unlike you I don't follow the soap opera of who bred what, what year, etc... On Seedfinder there are 18 different Super Skunks listed. Plus dozens of other variations and reproductions. I don't know which if any is the original and I don't really care.

I'm not reproducing hybrid seeds. I'm reproducing Ethiopian, Highland Thai, Kerala, Mazar i Shariff, Kumaoni, Nepalese, etc...

I will say one thing. You sure have a thing for me. If it wasn't so creepy I'd be flattered.

xtsho

Knowing history of important varieties is not a soap opera. It’s simply knowing history. If the general idea is that we need to go back to the building blocks to start over, how can you do that without knowing where it started ?

It didn't start with Super Skunk. Super Skunk is not the beginning. The Afghani, Columbian, and Mexican are the beginning. Not a hybrid made from them.

And actually Columbian and Mexican are not the beginning either since cannabis was introduced by the Spanish centuries ago and spread throughout Mexico, Central and South America before making it's way north. Same thing with Africa where it arrived over 1000 years ago and spread across the continent. The beginning would be Central Asia.

You talk about history and then call some modern day hybrid the building block where it started. If there was an in depth book written by an actual historian using all of the historical data available on the history of cannabis, Super Skunk would be mentioned in the last few pages of the last chapter if it was mentioned at all.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Knowing history of important varieties is not a soap opera. It’s simply knowing history. If the general idea is that we need to go back to the building blocks to start over, how can you do that without knowing where it started ?
Cept you are wrong about quite a bit of what you are saying.
I think the reason no one is sharing with you is pretty obvious by now but keep on squawking.
😆

eastcoastjoe

It didn't start with Super Skunk. Super Skunk is not the beginning. The Afghani, Columbian, and Mexican are the beginning. Not a hybrid made from them.

And actually Columbian and Mexican are not the beginning either since cannabis was introduced by the Spanish centuries ago and spread throughout Mexico, Central and South America before making it's way north. Same thing with Africa where it arrived over 1000 years ago and spread across the continent. The beginning would be Central Asia.

You talk about history and then call some modern day hybrid the building block where it started. If there was an in depth book written by an actual historian using all of the historical data available on the history of cannabis, Super Skunk would be mentioned in the last few pages of the last chapter if it was mentioned at all.

LOL. what came from super skunk ? Some of the same cultivars were growing today. It’s not like sour diesel came from it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Latest posts