What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Did you compare it to an F1 SD side by side?
Not side by side but I've grown other seeds from Karma where he used his SD mother, Headbanger and Acid Dawg, the buds I get from the SD Bx4 are better than the AD and as good as the HB, for me anyway. I will soon try some seeds I've made with 2 Sowahh males next to some clones of the Sowahh(SD Bx4)

JockBudman

Not taking away anything from anyone but perhaps it's easier to say it was deliberate than to admit you lost it and risk your breeding rep? Other than the $ factor why drop it? People in Holland were allowed to grow for seed so why care what it smells like if it sells?

Because the skunkier version didn't sell, it was too bait. I know that with legalisation in the states and Canada its hard to grasp people would let the roadkill smell go, but for those of us living under prohibition its too much of a liability. Check out the discussions on cheese, here or particularly on the uk 4 twenty site - lots of people saying the early skunk lines got them years in jail, that it stank whole streets up, permeated brick walls and overtook filters. Same with other lines like the old school white rhino from London, it led to busts or rips.

I'm sure the stench was fine when Sam was part of a crew growing valleys of the stuff in remote canyons, but as soon as it hit the closets and attics of Europe it was a liability. Bear in mind as well, that pre forums and grow gear being common, some people grew without filters even. Older heads online can attest to that.
Cheese, psychosis, roadkill, rhino, old widow etc all nearly or totally disappeared because anyone who held them for too long got their door kicked in one way or another. Other lines from that era, like amnesia haze or Northern lights, are still around because they were easier to control in terms of smell.

Under prohibition this is all a no-brainer and its amazing that people are still wondering why the Dutch bred the stench out.

kro-magnon

Veteran
If it didn't smell like skunk,why did he name it that? I grew sk#1 from sensi well over 30 years ago and it smelled like skunk and kicked ass.
I have grown some Sk#1 from Sensi in 98 and there was no foul smell who could be close to skunk spray thankfully, they had a very powerful smell of strong cannabis mixed with some kind of lemon but nothing disgusting and the high was so strong it was such a pleasure to smoke those buds. In EU the Sk#1 would not have sold if they gave some awful stinky buds

El Timbo

A few have mentioned that the gene pool is larger than before - I would imagine that it is smaller than it was 100 years ago. Is it not the case that a gene pool can only grow through mutations? And that it will be reduced when alleles are lost?

goingrey

A few have mentioned that the gene pool is larger than before - I would imagine that it is smaller than it was 100 years ago. Is it not the case that a gene pool can only grow through mutations? And that it will be reduced when alleles are lost?
Semantics are a boring debate but if we go with the Britannica definition:
gene pool, sum of a population’s genetic material at a given time. The term typically is used in reference to a population made up of individuals of the same species and includes all genes and combinations of genes (sum of the alleles) in the population.
So a gene pool can be widened also by creating novel combinations of genes aka hybrids. And in addition to natural mutations there is GMO..

But at least I was referring to what is actually available on the open market. For sure better than ever.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Cannabis has 20 chromosomes but in any case I'm talking about individual alleles - they will be lost if they are not passed on to the next generation right?
That's an unanswerable question, to know if there a real loss of genetics we would have needed a DNA analysis of the global gene pool 100 years ago and the same thing today, this will never happen so it's open to speculations only, no provable answer.

mudballs

Cannabis has 20 chromosomes but in any case I'm talking about individual alleles - they will be lost if they are not passed on to the next generation right?
Shit, my bad...yes they are lost but it doesn't deteriorate the gene pool...cuz of n2=20...you'd be surprised to know we can get blueberry back...just takes time and talent to recreate the plant

El Timbo

Semantics are a boring debate but if we go with the Britannica definition:

So a gene pool can be widened also by creating novel combinations of genes aka hybrids. And in addition to natural mutations there is GMO..

But at least I was referring to what is actually available on the open market. For sure better than ever.

Novel combinations don't produce new genes though do they?

I was referring to the op
the current state of the cannabis genepool in 2024 on a macro scale

I agree with you on what is available to buy.

mudballs

New genes require duplication, mutations, insertions, deletions, DNA substitutions...that can make new genes.

mudballs

Because alleles can only occupy loci locations, that's what makes a gene trait get "lost"...

3. Genetic recombination: If the loss of the allele occurs due to recombination during sexual reproduction, the allele from the other parent may replace the lost allele at that locus in the offspring

So mithri is digging through 20 chromosome plants looking for the right combo. What blueberry had that was lost, technically isn't lost in "gene pool", just "lost" in that line...just needs to put it back in a combination that makes everything we want dominant, co-dominant, watever...but there's always that number of gene material...you know the length of DNA and stuff, just same ingredients over and over and over...only the cook changes

Hoss_Beardman

I think there are a lot of outlandish claims right now like "blueberry" lost something or "skunk" is gone forever. I've seen this type of discussion in the past only to see the Dbag breeders with flat billed hats suddenly pop up to save the day with their "lost genetics" suddenly rediscovered with (insert outlandish story here).

Latest posts

Latest posts