What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what was the name or number of the cat piss smelling skunk through 80/90s?
Actually maybe it wasn't really skunk as @El Timbo said skunk become a generic term?

Does anyone know where I could find those cat piss terps?

I recently tried skunk special (Fem Nl) those had a bit cat piss but hermaphrodites aren't great
View attachment 19046574 View attachment 19046575 View attachment 19046576
I bought another pk but I lack enthusiasm for them now.
I find Cat piss terps regularly in Haze's and Thai's

For Haze it's the C Haze side ( Thai side )

the old Thai strains defo had it when grown ( not in taste from the Thai stick import flowers) but when i grew those same landrace Thai seeds 1st time from Thai sticks was pure Cat piss and shocked me how close was to some Cat piss Haze phenos.

and even Mullumbimby Madness x's I've found strong Cat Piss terps .
Australian Outback has some killer cat piss smell/taste

A new SSSDH I'm using has Extreme Cat piss Terps but Diesel Potency , very potent , more than my SSSDH OJD known cut , as this is Haze smell/taste but Extreme Diesel potency , where my cut is all Haze smell/taste/High

CharlesU Farley

You trolls love to try pull me into a fight then cry to admin afterwards 😆 🤣

I'm a long standing member and can have my say as anyone else.
I know my place here , it's with any other long standing members , no better or worse.

I love any icmag.com members but won't stand there and take shit either, wether your this Sam groupie or anyone
Ya know, when I first became active here on ICM, I think in our first interaction, I zinged you for using Nevil's name for one of your varietals, then we had a bit of back and forth and essentially agreed to disagree.

I also remember seeing your nym occasionally on the Mr Nice forum when I was doing the deep dive into the history of NL but never had a positive or negative impression of you.

Based on this thread alone, my opinion has now changed quite a bit. You are awe'rite (American slang for all right :) ) by me... respect.

CharlesU Farley

Time is working evolution whether or not you take notice.
As the kids used to say back in the day, "True that". ;) Remember, I'm a fucking dinosaur.

Once you've cultivated and developed this plant long enough, you understand that over a multiplicity of generations, with great environmental variability, cannabis plants can and do evolve.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
As the kids used to say back in the day, "True that". ;) Remember, I'm a fucking dinosaur.

Once you've cultivated and developed this plant long enough, you understand that over a multiplicity of generations, with great environmental variability, cannabis plants can and do evolve.
That they do and rarely how I want them to.
Easier to accidentally set a trait than it is to do it intentionally.

led05

Chasing The Present
Have you seen Purple City Genetics?? ...too broad a net cast to say that...many with passion more than greed/hype. I'd buy PCG and look...what constitutes a boofy bank label
Exceptions always exist in life, many of them I’m speaking in general

Boofy banks - fake origin stories, seed making contracted to some Spanish fella paying them Pennie’s on the dollar or similar such deal - Many banks are simply & sadly just contract manufacturers marketing a brand

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
An open pollination of seeds that came from just one male and one female will only ever contain the genes from those 2 individuals... we're talking about gene pools right?
Ideally, an open pollination of seeds that came from an open pollination.
But for true heirlooms, there shouldnt be much genotypic variation to keep to begin with.
Maybe source different batches from closeby farmers over time, but thats the best I can think of
The SDbx4 I grow right now gave some plants extremely stable with very little variations from each individuals, I had not seen so much regularity since my last pack of Super Skunk a long time ago
Your backcross is stable because you removed unwanted genes by backcrossing and selecting in the recessive outcome.
Unlike an F1 that is stable because of heterosis.

Try crossing your SDbx4 to, lets say, a super silver haze. I doubt it will show out it in the cross

kro-magnon

Veteran
That's not my back cross but Karma's work, it was to answer to your statement BX don't provide stability, that's just not true. And many people have used those plants and the Bx2 to make crosses with great results.

numberguy

Why don't you grow Skunk 1 anymore then if it's still special, or anyone EVER , because 1 day like many strains it turned to shit , mother was lost and that loud wall pentrating Funk disappeared like many strains do for a weaker , less smelly , less tasty mediocre plant of itself
I have grown skunk no1 since 85 and have not been without a cut of it since then, not the same cut mind you but a new one when it was better than the one I all ready had. Does it smell like skunk no it does not, to me it never has, and I went to cali in 1979 to find and try skunk no1 and it did not smell like skunk to me back then and yes I found the real skunk no1 there. It is the instant all most unbearable high that was its fame no other weed was like that and it is still like that today. When I here someone say they have been growing since the 70's or 80's but have not maintained the original seed lines or bettered them it is there fault not the state of seeds they could or can get. If you all follow the same recipe you will all have the same results, that is the current state of most seed making. I think the origin of the name is you got skunked, when someone handed you a joint of skunk and you took a hit it was to late you got skunked, and if you were a bogart you coughed up a lung too, and drunk you likely barfed. I was there.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
That's not my back cross but Karma's work, it was to answer to your statement BX don't provide stability, that's just not true. And many people have used those plants and the Bx2 to make crosses with great results.
Did you compare it to an F1 SD side by side?

CocoNut 420

That one variegated leaf is very intriguing to me; purpling is also a sign of a few different mineral deficiencies though it doesn’t appear to be your case - thx for sharing
Hey bud, thank you.
Tbh I hadn't noticed it was exactly half of the leaf coloured, I did see some was coloured and some not but assumed the rest would follow in a day or two, it was only after being brought to my attention I looked properly and seen it, now I'm curious about how that even happens and if it'll change in due course.

Its new to me i've never grown that before it's lemon cherry gelato my buddy @Synkra made.
It does smell promising tbf with a proper cherry aroma to it when I bent it down.

dilettante

Nice discussion everybody. Valid points stated. I think we have access to more than ever. Thanks to the internet. Who knows for how long? But it's well dilluted. Obviously the marekt is huge and completely untransparent for newcommers. Stocked chock full of white lable flavour of the month stuff. Up to here in new legal Germany people buying no name shit from no name people possibly rebranding birdfeed seed.

Anyway, I fucking hate cat piss terps (is it terpenoline?). Must be the memory of my wifes old cat. I hated the bastard. Can't remeber exactly where I encountered them cat piss terps, but it must have been Thai Haze Skunk or Satori x Thai Haze Skunk.

I want the sweet fruity stuff. That is why I will go and buy more seed. Buy again from the first source I used more than 17 years ago: Female Seeds Grapefruit and C99. I loved the high and I loved the smell in my apartment (no odor control).

And for a good measure some Gilgit/Hunza/Hopar/Karakoram just becouse it's amazing that they are available for purchase on the net. They will join the complete Ace Seeds catalogue in my fridge until I find a new guerilla spot to grow open pollinated, direct seeded hash crop.

Obviously it's up to the interested person to keep the diversity of cultivated crops alive. Can't expect that from commercial or state entities.