What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

led05

Chasing The Present
IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

For you sativa lovers

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes but who has the Original building blocks from 70's-80's , near nobody, and those that do hold clones report growth/Health issues and if people really had those old seeds why they not revived the strain until now.

Alot of reports over last few years of people finding old stash of seeds from 30 years ago , 90% probably bullshit or stretched the story's but hopefully that 10% do find some old legendary building blocks.

Also anyone tried any of the Afghan landrace strains from the new landrace companies that showed up over last 3 years ?

You have to find those genetics in other's work. Finding them all in one is rare like Gooey Breeder's dark cross project.. Lots of diferant old school landrace from him. Those recessive traits are bound to show up eventually. Gooey is a good one. It's not possible to find those original genetics today.

gooey more than 30 years old plant...More like 50 years old today
Gooey is:
Cambodian (70's landrace)
Mex gold (70's landrace)
Lumbo gold (70's landrace)
Thai ( 80's landrace)
Maui (1972 wowie from the developer)

SNOWHIGH also has lots of old genetics.

Last edited:

CannaZen

It's all about dominant and recessive genes. Look at America. 100 yrs ago over 50% of people had blue eyes. Now within 100 yrs less than 10% of people do. Blue eyes are recessive and easily bred out. Skunk and pine terps, pink pistils are recessive and easily bred out. Heck in another 50 yrs everybody in America will be brown. Genes are genes. Plants and animals,
Nah man that's like saying all us redheads were inbreeding there's more than ever. From small populations, itsvonly true to a degree. Eventually if we're not killed from the gene pool we'll swoop back over we still pass one copy. Anyone know anything else about this? It may take a thousand years but we'll be the 50% soon heheh. Back then gene pool circulated, eventually it could had become 75%. Anyhow. No guarantee about that but a circulation going back to 10,000 bc and olderand it's good go have circulation.with D r it's 50:50 right? Chance of passing it on. I dont know. A lot longer possibly. So.. multiplication by numbers divided by half and ethnic choice. Mc1r btw only makes us express it, it's a different allele that produces it. And there are variation because of this, I've seen people and Irish guy with dark hair but still had it. Anyway back to plant. It comes down to personal choice and may be there are variations I know there are 2 different kinds of terpenes with different pine aromas like with the different kinds of pine trees there are lots, even cedar. Just FYI the world population typically circulates and if it doesn't those pockets are inbreeding too and it could take a million years, if ever. It would still be a ratio of 50 50 at random chance I think with a North and South polarity. I have no idea why blue eye population went down but it did.

Last edited:

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Skunk 1 is great weed best ever cultivar for bud to leaf ratio. Great yilder that had phenos from Sweet indica ,buterry,flowery sometimes herbaly and mostly fruty overripe fruit bit hazy and citrusy....I literally grew around 2000 fem and reg seeds from Sensi Skunk 1.
Best phenos where longest flower ones 10-11 weeks. Lemon skunk is Skunk 1 pheno...
Skunk 1 Nevile in his catalogues in 80 also call fruty. People that say that skunk is lost dont know nothing and are just ingnorants.

Cheese is Shiva skunk or Big bud so hybrid of skunk 1.
Big bud,Shiva Shanti and Silver pearl were most grown strain comercialy in 90s in Europe yes they were called skunk...cuz skunk 1 change entire cannabis game in the world.

SKUNK 1 = always fruty
Afghan sk,NL5 SKUNK= pungent afghan
Big bud is queen for that (afg sk x nl5 sk)
There are many of cheese like phenos there but which are not so sweet more oily or meaty cheese. In shiva skunk there are just like cheese phenos that go from citrusy cheese to berry cheese...

And I think that weed today is the best and the strongest ever. But all of us high tolerance smokers sometimes thinking about old times...girls were pritier,life was easier...and with that same tone weed was better to...but its just imagination and our toughts.

Hoss_Beardman

I think the gene pool is still very diverse. I agree with a lot about what has been said in reference to fem and auto breeding. Now pollen chuckers are trying their hand at autos and it's only a matter of time before the gene pool gets really hard to find decent stock in.

I've closed the doors to any incoming strains. I've had one outside seed enter my grow from outside in the last 8 years. I don't want to risk any jumbled up cookie something or auto something making it's way in.

The strong smelling skunk cannabis is still around. With so many strains coming from Skunk, it isn't hard to find something interesting by breeding to them. The pine smells that someone mentioned are still around. I've got pine like kerosene smells that come off a NL seed line.

I strongly believe there is an private army of individuals out there just like me that work on their own projects and don't do the hype chasing. This is what will protect the genepool for years to come.

Dime

I think there were many more skunk renditions than the supposed one and only that Sam made. I think we give that guy more credit than he deserves. In his own words he said his skunk was sweet and not roadkill. Well ok there you have it right from the horses mouth. The skunks I've grown up with in mid 80s to early 90s in northern Michigan were indica skunks. So definitely not Sam's creation. My father grew them outdoors at 45th parallel. Harvested mid to end of Sept at 45th parallel. Roadkill as hell Indica not 75% sativa. Definitely not Sam's creation.
If it didn't smell like skunk,why did he name it that? I grew sk#1 from sensi well over 30 years ago and it smelled like skunk and kicked ass.

CannaZen

I think the gene pool is still very diverse. I agree with a lot about what has been said in reference to fem and auto breeding. Now pollen chuckers are trying their hand at autos and it's only a matter of time before the gene pool gets really hard to find decent stock in.

I've closed the doors to any incoming strains. I've had one outside seed enter my grow from outside in the last 8 years. I don't want to risk any jumbled up cookie something or auto something making it's way in.

The strong smelling skunk cannabis is still around. With so many strains coming from Skunk, it isn't hard to find something interesting by breeding to them. The pine smells that someone mentioned are still around. I've got pine like kerosene smells that come off a NL seed line.

I strongly believe there is an private army of individuals out there just like me that work on their own projects and don't do the hype chasing. This is what will protect the genepool for years to come.
I'm one of them but it's not my own place. May be not my own work, what sold me was that there were i thought different species like giant leaf squat indica and then sativa and even ruderalis and then there were so many different varieties to choose from. Found out that's not true and they're the same species not sub species exactly. Just genes. Anymore... May be I will not continue cannabis.

CannaZen

If it didn't smell like skunk,why did he name it that? I grew sk#1 from sensi well over 30 years ago and it smelled like skunk and kicked ass.
Smoking? Covid? Over time we have to fight to keep our senses sharpened. After living in a house where the animals go potty many years and smoking mine are not so good. And the pot isn't anymore for me either for some reason. I'm getting older I started being a pot smoker 9 years ago. I think the buds were adulterated but I grew my own. That's when I remembered some things about myself and I went down that rabbit hole. The strain was labeled/called sweet skunk I think it was the island sweet skunk just amazing. It's label of the clone was Issi on the cup.

Last edited:

Dime

Smoking? Covid? Over time we have to fight to keep our senses sharpened. After living in a house where the animals go potty many years and smoking mine are not so good. And the pot isn't anymore for me either for some reason.
I think the skunk odor isn't easy to retain and it faded away over time,like trying to breed a rose ,if you have noticed they don't have the overpowering heavenly fragrance like they used to and you have to go up and smell the flower directly to get it and they have been breeding roses for 100's of years and they get more faint each generation ,with only a few standouts . When I was kid there was a lady in my small town who had a rose garden you smell at the other end of town and I have roses in my yard that hardly smell in comparison.Vegetables have lost their rich and distinct flavor to the point where one tomato tastes the same as the next and if you want a different one you have to order heirlooms and still hope for the best..Most countries citizens don't like that smell of skunk either,maybe it's about the money that no one kept looking? The skunk genes are rare ,especially if the deliver a strong favorable effect because everyone is looking for them and no one is delivering. I think things have to click and it's a blending of genetics,environment, and luck that makes it happen, not single varieties that breed true for it. JMO

Dime

That’s pretty interesting. According to Mr Watson, that was long bred out by then.
Not taking away anything from anyone but perhaps it's easier to say it was deliberate than to admit you lost it and risk your breeding rep? Other than the $ factor why drop it? People in Holland were allowed to grow for seed so why care what it smells like if it sells? I dunno, but I wouldn't name a strain that smelled like womens perfume or fruit punch, skunk. Also doesn;t he claim he has seeds of skunky skunk? Why not give the people what they want?

Dime

I have a batch of widow seeds that produce skunk odor,not overpowering but skunky and not just faint,from veg to flower. Anyway i knew De Sjamaan seeds have been breeding with widow for ages and I emailed them and asked if they had dominant skunk odor seeds I could buy to perhaps breed for the odor , narrow it, and with any luck make it dominant over time.. They responded with no,why would anyone want to smoke weed that smells like a skunk?

led05

Chasing The Present
I think the skunk odor isn't easy to retain and it faded away over time,like trying to breed a rose ,if you have noticed they don't have the overpowering heavenly fragrance like they used to and you have to go up and smell the flower directly to get it and they have been breeding roses for 100's of years and they get more faint each generation ,with only a few standouts . When I was kid there was a lady in my small town who had a rose garden you smell at the other end of town and I have roses in my yard that hardly smell in comparison.Vegetables have lost their rich and distinct flavor to the point where one tomato tastes the same as the next and if you want a different one you have to order heirlooms and still hope for the best..Most countries citizens don't like that smell of skunk either,maybe it's about the money that no one kept looking? The skunk genes are rare ,especially if the deliver a strong favorable effect because everyone is looking for them and no one is delivering. I think things have to click and it's a blending of genetics,environment, and luck that makes it happen, not single varieties that breed true for it. JMO
I still have plenty of stinky roses, heirloom tomatoes, all types heirloom vegetables, fruits, herbs - they are widely available … you just have to grow them yourself, roses lost their olfactory funk cuz some breeders focused on the visual & ease of growth vs the odors, sad for sure damn double knockout swag rose shit - ha

Here’s a few Tommy’s, numerous different heirloom varietals

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

Tomatoes need natural sun & earth to taste proper, there’s no exceptions

Last edited:

Dime

Nice tomatoes,most people don't grow their own though and only have the choice of what's at the grocery store so those varieties dominate. When you got buy a bouquet of roses they are bred for large flowers,color, and how long they stay in bloom at the store to sell,the fragrance is secondary and I certainly believe you have fragrant roses but roses in general are not near what they were. It's usually the sell that determines where breeding will go .

eastcoastjoe

Not taking away anything from anyone but perhaps it's easier to say it was deliberate than to admit you lost it and risk your breeding rep? Other than the $ factor why drop it? People in Holland were allowed to grow for seed so why care what it smells like if it sells? I dunno, but I wouldn't name a strain that smelled like womens perfume or fruit punch, skunk. Also doesn;t he claim he has seeds of skunky skunk? Why not give the people what they want?

We both know why. He’s just not in the mood to make millions of dollars to release something he bred out on purpose. Makes sense right 🤣🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

led05

Chasing The Present
HatNice tomatoes,most people don't grow their own though and only have the choice of what's at the grocery store so those varieties dominate. When you got buy a bouquet of roses they are bred for large flowers,color, and how long they stay in bloom at the store to sell,the fragrance is secondary and I certainly believe you have fragrant roses but roses in general are not near what they were. It's usually the sell that determines where breeding will go .
TY - Some of us accept what their offered, others create & do as they wish, to each their own :tiphat:

haze*ekiel420

Hey guys, Nice Diskussion 😍

I too think the Genepool Today is larger and more accessible than ever.. But Off course there Are so many greedy lyars selling Bad knock offs and lying about the parents/flowering time/ harvest … people get hyped and then dissapointed .. maybe there is more garbage then in the 90 s but there is a Lot more of good stuff too..

I Like Most flavours from fruity to gas to roadkill and catpiss..

Had catpiss phenos in Sensiseeds super skunk and the roadkill in bcn Seedstockers moby dick.
Autoflowers may be inferior to regular photos but they deserve their niche.. Breeding with them and selling „Fast Versions“ is fucked up in my Book, cause people will breed with that plants and fuck up the Gene Pool.. keep Autos and regs separated!!

I honestly believe that all you guys complaining about the weak high should do a smoke braue and then reevalueate.. i was thinking the same before i was in prison for a year and a half and wouldnt smoke cause i wanted to See my parents without a Glass wall between us..

After that time i got high Like the First times.. because of drug screening i could only smoke for 2/3 days and then Pause for the Rest of the month.. still getting high Like the First times..

After i had no Screenings anymore i continued Like before Prison, and Build up a tollerance super fast..

Now i do 2-3 days vape break a Week and allways am excited to consume again, as it Hits way harder then on day 4 or 5 of the vaping days..

But it would be Even better to just vape at the Weekends😅

If you consume multiple Grams of flower/hash/extract Daily how can you expect your high to be the same as in the time you started Smoking?

A good start in the Week to all 💚

Edited: insert random Drama

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Hey guys, Nice Diskussion 😍

I too think the Genepool Today is larger and more accessible than ever.. But Off course there Are so many greedy lyars selling Bad knock offs and lying about the parents/flowering time/ harvest … people get hyped and then dissapointed .. maybe there is more garbage then in the 90 s but there is a Lot more of good stuff too..

I Like Most flavours from fruity to gas to roadkill and catpiss..

Had catpiss phenos in Sensiseeds super skunk and the roadkill in bcn Seedstockers moby dick.
Autoflowers may be inferior to regular photos but they deserve their niche.. Breeding with them and selling „Fast Versions“ is fucked up in my Book, cause people will breed with that plants and fuck up the Gene Pool.. keep Autos and regs separated!!

I honestly believe that all you guys complaining about the weak high should do a smoke braue and then reevalueate.. i was thinking the same before i was in prison for a year and a half and wouldnt smoke cause i wanted to See my parents without a Glass wall between us..

After that time i got high Like the First times.. because of drug screening i could only smoke for 2/3 days and then Pause for the Rest of the month.. still getting high Like the First times..

After i had no Screenings anymore i continued Like before Prison, and Build up a tollerance super fast..

Now i do 2-3 days vape break a Week and allways am excited to consume again, as it Hits way harder then on day 4 or 5 of the vaping days..

But it would be Even better to just vape at the Weekends😅

If you consume multiple Grams of flower/hash/extract Daily how can you expect your high to be the same as in the time you started Smoking?

A good start in the Week to all 💚

By the way , am no Fan of the skunkman too.. These cheap lies about is machine for 99% and all the Blabla about his seeds.. he would surely Sell them if he had them😂

Conspiracy Theories anyone? Is the skunkman Head of bedrocan in the netherlands? 🧐😂
Like the guy or not I don't care but without him we wouldn't have had the pleasure to enjoy the Skunk#1 who had an incredible impact on the cannabis world and allow many people around the world to grow their own buds. I agree for the most part with you but you should have stop before dropping Sam's name, this only create useless drama.

Latest posts

Latest posts