What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

eastcoastjoe

There is some great weed today for sure. I am simply saying that in 1992 everything was great. Even Mexican brick weed was tasty slow burning. Great buzz. It was hard to find bad weed back then. Now it's the other way around.

So your saying in the 90’s there was no junk to sort through in seeds and everything was great ?

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hard to beat a selected cut or elite for $15 a snip lol. if im considering a personal grower i'm buying a cut of something someone already selected or an "elite" for $15 a snip rather than some random seeds for $150 lol

if you trade with dirty people expect dirty results.

Totally agree.

Past few years for me I've been moving more towards cuts than popping seeds and it's easier to find clean cheap high quality plants now than ever before

linde

So your saying in the 90’s there was no junk to sort through in seeds and everything was great ?
No nearly as much junk but of course it was there. Most shit had flavor right to the roach. Very little stuff today has that. A couple hits with flavor and that's it. Very little dope today has the pungent flavor that it did.

mudballs

No nearly as much junk but of course it was there. Most shit had flavor right to the roach. Very little stuff today has that. A couple hits with flavor and that's it. Very little dope today has the pungent flavor that it did.
I had real fkn blueberry circulating NYC/NJ in 90s, mid 2000s it disappeared...real fkn blueberry, every fkn hit

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys are crazy, not growing good weed or not trying.

I love old and new school plants.

If anything I've heard people complain modern plants are more about smell and taste than effects.

Here we are with folks arguing the opposite. Lol

linde

The shit back then you clear your throat an hour after you smoked a joint you could still taste it. Nothing today has that lingering flavor. The tastiest stuff that IVE found is without a doubt a good Runtz pheno for today's stuff. Definitely really tasty. Good stuff.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Skunk#1 has never been a mediocre plant neither the Super Skunk made with Sk#1.All the buds who were of high quality were called Skunk for a reason , this hybrid Skunk#1 had a huge impact on the cannabis.
And now way you had access to american skunk in the UK in the 90's.
We had access to the Same Skunk sam brought to Europe as all of Holland/UK and I'm sure many other European country's.

Once sam let the Skunk out in Europe everyone had it in Holland, all the shops, it was everywhere , there was no other Skunk , that was the first time we had seen special hybrid weed , before that was Jamaican, Thai and other types just call weed with no name.

Sam's first Skunk 1 releases was of course very good , but then the new version was born and the Original lost.

Why don't you grow Skunk 1 anymore then if it's still special, or anyone EVER , because 1 day like many strains it turned to shit , mother was lost and that loud wall pentrating Funk disappeared like many strains do for a weaker , less smelly , less tasty mediocre plant of itself

linde

Why don't you grow Skunk 1 anymore then if it's still special, or anyone EVER , because 1 day like many strains it turned to shit , mother was lost and that loud wall pentrating Funk disappeared like many strains do for a weaker , less smelly , less tasty mediocre plant of itself
Ding ding ding yahtzee! Wow for a second I thought I was the only one who realized that. Well said.

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you guys are seasoned smokers now and can barely smell your breath .

Ask a non smoker to do the test. Weed still smells like skunk to them.

My non smoker siblings have a game called weed or skunk that they play in public.

Young kids on ski lifts have asked their parents why it smells like skunk when I've sat next to them.

That's my take .

led05

Chasing The Present
The Green, zero purple here in cold upstate NY

IMG_1418.jpeg

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you guys are seasoned smokers now and can barely smell your breath .

Ask a non smoker to do the test. Weed still smells like skunk to them.

My non smoker siblings have a game called weed or skunk that they play in public.

Young kids on ski lifts have asked their parents why it smells like skunk when I've sat next to them.

That's my take .
That's because when we were young every weed ( non landrace) in early 90's everyone called Skunk in UK, probably Europe also( any light green not brown or fermented import) as new hybrids smelled crazy strong compared to import weed , so some people still call all cannabis skunk

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's because when we were young every weed ( non landrace) in early 90's everyone called Skunk in UK, probably Europe also( any light green not brown or fermented import) as new hybrids smelled crazy strong compared to import weed , so some people still call all cannabis skunk
I live in the US and people here smell skunks all the time. If they aren't as familiar with weed , it's hard for them to know the difference.

I think as we get used to weed we pick up more nuisances and the overall skunk factor seems less.

If I had a gram of weed in my mom's car in a baggie , (she doesn't smoke) . I guarantee she would describe it like some of these memories people post of her seats smelling like it for weeks.

El Timbo

Not in my part of Europe - that used to bug me rotten when UK people used to ask me if I had skunk when all that meant to them was homegrown weed.

Mithridate

Plenty of time passed since Sam last sold skunk1 publicly, chances are the line isn't what it used to be in its prime...

Another thing is while he was selecting smell wasn't the main focus. The male chosen to sire skunk1 final form just happened to be much sweeter but brought other traits forward he was actually looking for.

From my own work with an old local skunk, I can't help but notice that seeds grown from my original open pollination about 1% will show up with a mango/cantaloupe type smell while the rest.. well.. stink hah

Skunk could be a base smell in cannabis and deteriorate into all kinds of fruits.

My 2 cents

CocoNut 420

So what was the name or number of the cat piss smelling skunk through 80/90s?
Actually maybe it wasn't really skunk as @El Timbo said skunk become a generic term?

Does anyone know where I could find those cat piss terps?

I recently tried skunk special (Fem Nl) those had a bit cat piss but hermaphrodites aren't great
_20220510_102609.JPG _20220511_171327.JPG _20220511_171627.JPG
I bought another pk but I lack enthusiasm for them now.

mudballs

The cat pee thing I've only smelled briefly once late flower...genuinely thought something must've sprayed my plant overnight. Then it was gone never to be smelled again...think it was from OG Chem line, some bagseed i grew out...yeah it was that..my chemdawgs are just always fuel

led05

Chasing The Present
So what was the name or number of the cat piss smelling skunk through 80/90s?
Actually maybe it wasn't really skunk as @El Timbo said skunk become a generic term?

Does anyone know where I could find those cat piss terps?

I recently tried skunk special (Fem Nl) those had a bit cat piss but hermaphrodites aren't great
View attachment 19046574 View attachment 19046575 View attachment 19046576
I bought another pk but I lack enthusiasm for them now.
Pee really wasn’t in the American Skunk of the 80’s / 90’s, pee is more common in Haze work, Nevil & others have mentioned it many times over the decades….

Nice big flowers above but definitely far from the old skunks, skunk flowers were Limey green, rock hard & shaped like golf balls and stank up your neighborhood… my buddies pops was in biker gang & first time I saw it growing was in his basement back late 80’s, the bikers made a killing with their skunks @ here at least - upstate NY, definitely skunk country @ here too

I got an Amnesia Haze cross that has anise in it...trying for that too. Old times are just that, memories...make new ones

Anise is definitely still @ in many things & I completely agree with your second part; nostalgia can never be caught up to but we can absolutely create magic today just like yesteryear, the breeding tools are all @ us we just gotta act, many are & have been…

The best seeds you’ll ever get will be way of gifts & trades, never from some boofy bank….

Last edited: