What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

Mithridate

"The seeds which produced this amazing Cannabis were coveted. As a result,
scientifically uninformed growers began to indiscriminately breed the Afghani varieties
into the existing gene pool. At first, this met with stunning success, producing first generation (F,) hybrid plants of astounding vigor and marijuana with unique flavors,
powerful effects, and novel appearances. Hoping to continue the strain they had created, inexperienced, greedy growers bred these hybrid super plants with each other, which is the wrong way to go (see the book Marijuana Botany for a more thorough explanation of Cannabis genetics and breeding). By the third generation in California, much of the marijuana produced from the original Afghani seeds was garbage ."
From hashish! By Robert Clarke

We're 40 years late guys lol

kro-magnon

Veteran
All along agriculture we have taken plants from their native grow areas and acclimatize them to new growing environments, we do the same with cannabis we have done with many other plants.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
The corn blight of 1970 is proof that genes are in the right hands.

I think we are in for a real treat, delivered by the best in everything.

xtsho

Today there is a lot of preservationists dedicated to keep all the landraces they can get alive. I have seen a few like the Vibes collective who has spread a lot of old genetics around the world. You have the landrace collective, the real seed company ; Khalifa and many other who sell mostly old world strains.

Guilty.

But I'm keeping them alive in a circle of like minded people that are all sharing the different genetics they have.

H e d g e

Weed died in the early’90s. I remember going to visit a friend for a smoke, usually people jamming, giggling, talking about the meaning of life, the universe ect. It stank in there like I’d never experienced with any import and everyone was gone, still there physically but no interaction, no vibrations, I’ll never understand why it was so popular.
These days I don’t think people know any different, haven’t been able to get the imports for decades now.

Two things I reckon caused it, delta9 and cbd. Industrial hemp near the production areas and the sticky stink weed or exodus that for some strange reason everyone loved so much.
There were cannabinoids/effects in the imports that don’t exist in modern genetics, as if delta9 has some sort of deleterious effect on cannabinoid diversity over time. Delta9 isn’t the only kind of thc, I don’t think it’s quantity of delta9 that causes the stupefying effect, you can smoke Thai all day and it doesn’t do that.

So now instead of the massive diversity of cannabinoids and effects we used to enjoy, you get delta 9 and just enough cbd that after being knocked out and stupefied for a week, builds up on the back end of the cb1 receptor and then it does nothing at all, might as well be smoking hemp.

I reckon anything crossed with cheese skunk or og will end up going the same way, a diversity of 250+ cannabinoids eventually become 2.

Last edited:

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seed market as we know it is gonna collapse

nearly everything is gonna be tc clones for dirt cheap and most people aren't gonna grow seeds so it'll be even more homogeneous than it is now

what's that old Tom Hill post lol... "weed is gonna go the way of the strawberry"
I think the opposite, clone market is going to lose a big share to the seed game as so many diseases in clones these days that many are sticking to there own clones and or new clones they find from seeds.