What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

Mithridate

When I was growing outdoor the part of the plants who got purple were the part less exposed to the light not the opposite, there is some pictures of a few outdoor plants in my album, check media on my profile, you can see the purple ,is where the plats are in the cold not in the sun.(I can't tkae them from my album anymore to post my pictures)
16757796-ae300c6a225d4385b551854d6a5c9325.jpg
17255179-96ee228feab0514e854f12e94642a098.jpg

Mithridate

One of the main complaint I hear is not so much that we lack diversity but rather that modern stock is "diluted" or too "bastardized/ multi polyhybrid"

At first glance the muddied genepool is a definite negative, but what if we or at least some of us turned it to our advantage..

"We look for the extremes in the f2 or bc1 et al, all original recombination. The phenomenon will continue over several generation but is most extreme in those first. Correct. The f1 has been abused, it is a wonderful predictable scenario but brought to the extreme only when two transgressive relatively divergent homozygous individuals are mated"

"Transgression is the tendency of progeny upon recombination to surpass the extremes of either parental line. This is beyond heterosis which merely masks weaknesses in parental lines. Transgressive segregation is the beginning of all genetic improvement"
-ghost protocol (😉)

Rocket Soul

When I was growing outdoor the part of the plants who got purple were the part less exposed to the light not the opposite, there is some pictures of a few outdoor plants in my album, check media on my profile, you can see the purple ,is where the plats are in the cold not in the sun.(I can't tkae them from my album anymore to post my pictures)
Its tricky with sunlight cause it has so much infra and heat so what you describe is of course possible but generally ive seen it more on the sunniest side, where midday and afternoon sun hits, on the new shoots, but never on the few cannabis plants ive grown outdoor. But maybe ive just been lucky enough to have them all very well exposed and in a warm climate.
Anyways lets leave purple for a thread on purple as peeps seem to finally gotten back to the genepool :)

kro-magnon

Veteran
Its tricky with sunlight cause it has so much infra and heat so what you describe is of course possible but generally ive seen it more on the sunniest side, where midday and afternoon sun hits, on the new shoots, but never on the few cannabis plants ive grown outdoor. But maybe ive just been lucky enough to have them all very well exposed and in a warm climate.
Anyways lets leave purple for a thread on purple as peeps seem to finally gotten back to the genepool :)

This discussion sadly lack real substance, people whining because they don't find the buds who live only in their memory is terribly boring. I started smoking in the 90's in EU and there was no awful stinking skunk, the first pack I grew was Afghan#1 in 96 and most of the female were lemony. We don't have the same interest for foul smelling plants here compared to the US and I would not be surprised those awful smelling plants were taken out deliberately because they sucked.

midwestkid

Veteran
What do you think of the current state of the cannabis genepool in 2024 on a macro scale? I know there are a lot of people in their own lanes doing new things, some not so much. What's your opinion? Where would you like to see it go? What can be done for more variety?

i think the genepool is pretty DEEP
I think there are lots of uniquely different choices out there these days. But you definitely have to do the research to figure out the actual lineage.
and research to find actual breeders. and/or honest and transparent seed makers.

Im not super fond of the hype x hype but i believe that is driven by the uniformed buyer. And seller. (ive also found myself chosing what to grow based on how it machine trims) for this i apologize...

i sold a pound from a haze hybrid a couple months back and the buyer called me the next day and asked if he could swap for something else.
i exchanged with him. it bothered me. i asked him if it didnt get him high and he told me his buyer didnt even try it. it just didnt have the look.
they didnt even try it. it was pretty righteous smoke! i really felt like i was hooking him up with something unique that can rarely be found in a dispensary.

I would like to see a bigger emphasis on improving the effect of the high.

kro-magnon

Veteran
What do you think of the current state of the cannabis genepool in 2024 on a macro scale? I know there are a lot of people in their own lanes doing new things, some not so much. What's your opinion? Where would you like to see it go? What can be done for more variety?

i think the genepool is pretty DEEP
I think there are lots of uniquely different choices out there these days. But you definitely have to do the research to figure out the actual lineage.
and research to find actual breeders. and/or honest and transparent seed makers.

Im not super fond of the hype x hype but i believe that is driven by the uniformed buyer. And seller. (ive also found myself chosing what to grow based on how it machine trims) for this i apologize...

i sold a pound from a haze hybrid a couple months back and the buyer called me the next day and asked if he could swap for something else.
i exchanged with him. it bothered me. i asked him if it didnt get him high and he told me his buyer didnt even try it. it just didnt have the look.
they didnt even try it. it was pretty righteous smoke! i really felt like i was hooking him up with something unique that can rarely be found in a dispensary.

I would like to see a bigger emphasis on improving the effect of the high.
the majority of the smokers today wants something easy to consum, that's why that's the majority of the sales but there is many type if high easily accessible to anyone, you can really get anything you want today(except the unicorns from your mind)

xtsho

The good thing is that you can still get the building blocks and make your own. I mean people were just making crosses using Afghan, Thai, Columbian, Mexican, etc... Many people like to drop names of these legendary breeders but what did they really do? They crossed some different strains. It's not rocket science.

Hell I have a cross I've made using Pakistani Chitral Kush, Durban, and Mazar-i-Sharif. I started with the PCK/Durban and worked that for a few years getting the purple out as I prefer the green pheno. I took that to F8 and I had achieved that goal of no purple just green plants. I then crossed that with the Mazar-i-Sharif. The end result is a strain that comes as close to the taste and smell of some of the stuff I was getting back in the 80's.

What's strange is that the purple showed back up with the PCK/Durban + Mazar-i-Sharif cross. It was around 50/50 green to purple. The green is better than the purple. I'm not a fan of purple weed. It's lacking in my opinion. Anyway, the green is as close to what we were calling skunk bud back when I was in High School as I've had since that era of time. I've grown several different Skunk strains from several different vendors. They all claim this and that, the original, blah blah blah. While it was good weed it was definitely not what it was claimed to be and I think mine is better.

That's why I'll likely never buy anymore genetics. I already have genetics from all across the globe. I can pollinate a plant and make my own crosses. There are very many people just like me dabbling in breeding and creating stuff as good as any of the legendary breeders or new guys and gals these days. It's not as complicated as many make it out to be and there is no single super special strain that you can't live without.

The strains to be buying are landraces not some hybrid from the 90's. The building blocks are disappearing as they're being contaminated and lost forever. I don't care about some famous strain someone made back in the 80's, 90's, 2000's, etc... I'm more concerned about the Thai, Afghan, Indian, Mexican, etc... The stuff where all modern hybrids came from. Stock your pantry with those and start cooking.

:plant grow:

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
The good thing is that you can still get the building blacks and make your own. I mean people were just making crosses using Afghan, Thai, Columbian, Mexican, etc... Many people like to drop names of these legendary breeders but what did they really do? They crossed some different strains. It's not rocket science.

Hell I have a cross I've made using Pakistani Chitral Kush, Durban, and Mazar-i-Sharif. I started with the PCK/Durban and worked that for a few years getting the purple out as I prefer the green pheno. I took that to F8 and I had achieved that goal of no purple just green plants. I then crossed that with the Mazar-i-Sharif. The end result is a strain that comes as close to the taste and smell of some of the stuff I was getting back in the 80's.

What's strange is that the purple showed back up with the PCK/Durban + Mazar-i-Sharif cross. It was around 50/50 green to purple. The green is better than the purple. I'm not a fan of purple weed. It's lacking in my opinion. Anyway, the green is as close to what we were calling skunk bud back when I was in High School as I've had since that era of time. I've grown several different Skunk strains from several different vendors. They all claim this and that, the original, blah blah blah. While it was good weed it was definitely not what it was claimed to be and I think mine is better.

That's why I'll likely never buy anymore genetics. I already have genetics from all across the globe. I can pollinate a plant and make my own crosses. There are very many people just like me dabbling in breeding and creating stuff as good as any of the legendary breeders or new guys and gals these days. It's not as complicated as many make it out to be and there is no single super special strain that you can't live without.

The strains to be buying are landraces not some hybrid from the 90's. The building blocks are disappearing as they're being contaminated and lost forever. I don't care about some famous strain someone made back in the 80's, 90's, 2000's, etc... I'm more concerned about the Thai, Afghan, Indian, Mexican, etc... The stuff where all modern hybrids came from. Stock your pantry with those and start cooking.

:plant grow:
Some landraces might be endangered because local farmers harvest more with modern strains, you can't blame them for wanting to have better yield. There is many programs to preserve the original landraces, anyone can buy most of them now. Or go get them straight from growers hands in foreign countries.

Rocket Soul

This discussion sadly lack real substance, people whining because they don't find the buds who live only in their memory is terribly boring. I started smoking in the 90's in EU and there was no awful stinking skunk, the first pack I grew was Afghan#1 in 96 and most of the female were lemony. We don't have the same interest for foul smelling plants here compared to the US and I would not be surprised those awful smelling plants were taken out deliberately because they sucked.
I agree on EU weed, bought plenty of things called skunk and super skunk in Christiania and never ever smelt something like what is described. I dont think i coul ever smell anything that smelled more than generic weed smell. Got high though, wnd laughed my ass off. But where i was then there was always more hash.

Genepool being deep/shallow: is it possible that its just another effect of people liking to smoke, grow and breed? A normal person cannot grow infinite amount of strains. The way a really deep genepool looks to someone growing doesnt have to be experienced in that way. Say we have 2000 strains currently, just for example, with 1900 of them being meh and a 100 being great. And back in the 90s we had 100, of which 50 being great. Again just examples. But to a grower the way back when will look so much better/deeper: half of what you could grow was great while half ok. Compared to the today example where only 5% are great. Today is objectively deeper: more great stuff and more meh, yet today would seem like its hard to find a great smoke. Does that make sense? That our own interest spawns more interest which spawns more strains which makes it harder to find the needle in the haystack? I dont know what growing was like then so i cant say where people got their seeds from but it seems like there were more passing of strains from people to people and that makes it easier to find the needle since more people where looking for the same thing together.
Some of the best smoke i had once removed from nostalgia times i still cant find and never seen available all seeds, or even mentioned on forums. Does anybody know Kate Mate? Now im pretty sure that id be able to find it if the scene looked more like a tight secret brotherhood than what we have today.

Also tolerance: who actually takes 3 weeks off from smoking today, like it was when you were a teen? I recently did and the first smoke was like rocket lift off, high like way back when. But it also was some completely non comercial genetics, with a "steward breeder" having bred it from hippie seeds, with real full spectrum, beyond any hid or led of todays offering. I rec abstinence to anyone missing the old day. Actually im on smoking break again and will try some more trendy club type weed as my first smoke and try to compare the experiences.

Personally i like the emphasis on the type of high myself but in comercial grow you have to make something marketable and with a good total value: g x price /weeks in flower room has to be good. And real good quality tend to push up weeks and push down weight - it never really changes price more than a few points so why would comercial be into pushing quality of high; the most you can say when you look at the gear in a club is if it smells and look good, there really isnt much benefit to try to find that unicorn high for comercial, though there is in maxing out terp quality cause it informs the buyer when buying for the first time.

Ill hop off this thread for now, sweet smokes everyone

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Wow, this is going fast, will take me some time to read.
But i got to say - i love todays gene pool. So many options, so many breeders, so many awesome projects.
Shit genetics are more common than ever, but there also more good stuff than ever.

Even if I dont like cookies, for example, today i think its easier to avoid.
Info is much more accessible

xtsho

Some landraces might be endangered because local farmers harvest more with modern strains, you can't blame them for wanting to have better yield. There is many programs to preserve the original landraces, anyone can buy most of them now. Or go get them straight from growers hands in foreign countries.

I have nothing against the local farmers that are trying to feed their families and growing more productive strains. But the fact remains that the old genetics in many regions are being compromised with the introduction of modern hybrids into areas where they didn't exist before. It is what it is. People have to do what they need to do.

You can't stop change but you can keep pieces of the past.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
I have nothing against the local farmers that are trying to feed their families and growing more productive strains. But the fact remains that the old genetics in many regions are being compromised with the introduction of modern hybrids into areas where they didn't exist before. It is what it is. People have to do what they need to do.

You can't stop change but you can keep pieces of the past.
Today there is a lot of preservationists dedicated to keep all the landraces they can get alive. I have seen a few like the Vibes collective who has spread a lot of old genetics around the world. You have the landrace collective, the real seed company ; Khalifa and many other who sell mostly old world strains.

eastcoastjoe

Today there is a lot of preservationists dedicated to keep all the landraces they can get alive. I have seen a few like the Vibes collective who has spread a lot of old genetics around the world. You have the landrace collective, the real seed company ; Khalifa and many other who sell mostly old world strains.

You’re right. This day in age, we have access to more landraces than ever before.