What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

MedResearcher

Veteran
People go to a grocery store, they pick out the red tomato, yellow banana, shiny green bell pepper etc....

Indoor is a shade prettier, the masses eat it up.

Imo, Indoor is way easier to grow. No rain, no freeze, no bugs (if your careful), not working in 100 degree sun, less water, less medium, etc..
Easier job, more pay, no brainer to me. Or do both^^

Dry as a bone around here, once it hit 1200 everything vanished.

musigny23

It makes me shake my head too.

I'd like to see 100 smokers get joint samples rolled from different buds of various clones grown indoors and outdoors to evaluate the quality of the high.

It's been my experience that longer flowering varieties grown under full sub-tropical sun with favorable weather during the last month of flowering have a better quality high than the same grown indoors.

The high from outdoor bud seems slightly clearer and "higher" with a little more duration, but is not more potent, if anything, indoor bud seems to be slightly stronger, it's just that the quality of the high is better with outdoors because it's slightly trippier, clearer, smarter.

But maybe it's just me believing that the sun makes it better so I score the quality of the high from outdoor buds higher?

Any one here tried comparing highs from indoor and outdoor grown clones? Please post your findings. In the past many said there was little noticeable difference, but some other sativa growers said the high from outdoor grown bud was better, not stronger, just a better high.

Earlier I declined to get into it but since there are several responses I'll offer my opinion. I feel qualified because I started smoking in 1973, moved to Nor Cal in 1978 and was very closely involved in the biz pretty much ever since. In the 70s and up to about 1987, indoor as a commercial product did not exist, at all, period.

The intense C.A.M.P. program did huge damage to production and going indoor was the response. At first it was fairly unimpressive but passable for business purposes. It really got going in the 90s and quality did improve in terms of "potency" and appearance.

I've had and tried countless examples and while I can certainly get what appeals to the proponents, it never won me over. In fact, I quit smoking it many years ago. I just don't enjoy the way it feels.

As far as the pricing goes, to say it costs more to produce does not actually justify the price. Market perception of value and how that affects demand is the thing. To me, the "market" seems to value superficial things and overlook more substantive ones.

It values the skin deep aspects while ignoring the deeper fundamentals. All the older life long serious consumers I know prefer classic full term organic outdoor, by far. But the vast number of casual users and younger folks whose experience is often limited almost entirely to indoor are captivated by the shiny glossy "perfection" attainable in a synthetic "environment". It's profoundly disappointing. Indoor has no soul.

I often say to people that the most important aspect of a bud can't be seen and is the last thing you will know about it. That is how does it smoke and how does it feel and for how long. Some of the best tasting and great feeling cannabis I've smoked in my life, like the best Columbians and Thai sticks, weren't the least bit bright green, fuzzy and sugary looking. I would take them any day over any indoor whatever ChemCakePlatinumDreamGlue hybrid super mutt you might have.

Indoor can be grown anywhere, all year round. It lends itself to industrial production methods. Full term outdoor, especially the great long flowering types, can only be grown in certain places and just once a year. That makes it far more scarce which should make the well grown, well processed examples much more valuable than any indoor, except the wider market, driven by what most average consumers think is good, prioritizes the wrong things.

Fine wine has been legal since 1933 and that market is very mature. There are very very rich wine collectors out there. Many of them get into owning vineyards and making wine. Grapes and cannabis require very similar climate conditions and share a number of disease problems, and yet not one wine obsessed billionaire has ever set up an indoor vineyard. And they certainly could. So why not? If indoor growing is superior, isn't that the thing to do? Sure it would be expensive but billionaires don't care if they want something bad enough. Because indoor grapes would make bland boring wine even if it was technically perfect.

OK I went on longer than I meant to and there's more I could say but I'll leave it at that.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please this thread is about Wholesale prices in California.... please stay on topic !!!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
IMO that was on topic, and a good read. I will briefly throw in 2 more factors in the equation:

1) It may take 30ac of Mendo hill land to get 1 ac of farm, and the rules kill you (a paved handicap parking spot?). A city warehouse with power is cheaper to acquire.

2) Outdoor is there mostly at the same time, give or take curing. Indoor can time the market.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The TOPIC is WHOLESALE PRICES IN CALIFORNIA. This thread is not about whether you like indoor or outdoor more .. it is about PRICES in California. If you have read the thread and want to talk more about comparing indoor or outdoor , or have some other opinions about cannabis please by all means start a new thread. But this particular thread is about Wholesale prices in California. Please respect that . If you have actually been following the thread you will see i have said this multiple times . Thanks

musigny23

The TOPIC is WHOLESALE PRICES IN CALIFORNIA. This thread is not about whether you like indoor or outdoor more .. it is about PRICES in California. If you have read the thread and want to talk more about comparing indoor or outdoor , or have some other opinions about cannabis please by all means start a new thread. But this particular thread is about Wholesale prices in California. Please respect that . If you have actually been following the thread you will see i have said this multiple times . Thanks

My post compared indoor to outdoor in terms of the big difference in their WHOLESALE PRICES and why the market has it wrong, which requires some explanation.

Dankwolf

Earlier I declined to get into it but since there are several responses I'll offer my opinion. I feel qualified because I started smoking in 1973, moved to Nor Cal in 1978 and was very closely involved in the biz pretty much ever since. In the 70s and up to about 1987, indoor as a commercial product did not exist, at all, period.

The intense C.A.M.P. program did huge damage to production and going indoor was the response. At first it was fairly unimpressive but passable for business purposes. It really got going in the 90s and quality did improve in terms of "potency" and appearance.

I've had and tried countless examples and while I can certainly get what appeals to the proponents, it never won me over. In fact, I quit smoking it many years ago. I just don't enjoy the way it feels.

As far as the pricing goes, to say it costs more to produce does not actually justify the price. Market perception of value and how that affects demand is the thing. To me, the "market" seems to value superficial things and overlook more substantive ones.

It values the skin deep aspects while ignoring the deeper fundamentals. All the older life long serious consumers I know prefer classic full term organic outdoor, by far. But the vast number of casual users and younger folks whose experience is often limited almost entirely to indoor are captivated by the shiny glossy "perfection" attainable in a synthetic "environment". It's profoundly disappointing. Indoor has no soul.

I often say to people that the most important aspect of a bud can't be seen and is the last thing you will know about it. That is how does it smoke and how does it feel and for how long. Some of the best tasting and great feeling cannabis I've smoked in my life, like the best Columbians and Thai sticks, weren't the least bit bright green, fuzzy and sugary looking. I would take them any day over any indoor whatever ChemCakePlatinumDreamGlue hybrid super mutt you might have.

Indoor can be grown anywhere, all year round. It lends itself to industrial production methods. Full term outdoor, especially the great long flowering types, can only be grown in certain places and just once a year. That makes it far more scarce which should make the well grown, well processed examples much more valuable than any indoor, except the wider market, driven by what most average consumers think is good, prioritizes the wrong things.

Fine wine has been legal since 1933 and that market is very mature. There are very very rich wine collectors out there. Many of them get into owning vineyards and making wine. Grapes and cannabis require very similar climate conditions and share a number of disease problems, and yet not one wine obsessed billionaire has ever set up an indoor vineyard. And they certainly could. So why not? If indoor growing is superior, isn't that the thing to do? Sure it would be expensive but billionaires don't care if they want something bad enough. Because indoor grapes would make bland boring wine even if it was technically perfect.

OK I went on longer than I meant to and there's more I could say but I'll leave it at that.

Vary well put

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Although I appreciate your point here and we agree on some things, especially your stance on long term outdoor, the vineyard argument is somewhat invalid. Cannabis is harvested and does not come back and produce another crop. We dont have “50+ year old vine” cannabis. Many producers have vines that go so deep into the ground you could never imitate that indoors. Now coming back to where we agree. I do think “terroir” which is the natural environments impact on the vineyard and vinification can relate to cannabis. If you grow the same clone at different elevations outdoors you will see differences. This applies to grapes immensely and is why burgundy cuttings produce a completely different product in russian river valley than the core d’or in burgundy. Now back to the expense, indoor expenses are nuts, your space is limited and trying to emulate indoor production for vines is just impossible.

Latest numbers - Top ins 26-28 Outs - cant find them but saw garbage ones for 11-12.

F

Fermented

You're right Babba....you've got a tough job trying to keep stoners from going off topic. Keep up the good work, without you this great site would be muddy.

What does a pound of 100% Haze or other long flowering landrace sativa cost in California now? What's available? I would imagine it's rare as , but Cali is a big place and I'm sure there are growers in the south that can finish long season plants in January and February in commercial qtys

Are there any growers offering wholesale quantities of "Malawi cob style" vacuum/fermented cured bud?

BYF

Where is that? I see $80 1/8's in downtown LA from the "good" brands. I assume you are talking about "bottom shelf" flower.

This is a wholesale price thread.

Legal weed is sold to retailers in 1/8th prepackaged now.

Average price for wholesale flower is 12-17

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So BYF your getting roughly 1500 per pound for light dep to the dispensary wholesale ? Sounds pretty good for a large volume farm.