What's new

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

Allendawg

Daub Marley you gotta blow people away, you gotta impress. When you walk in a garden or view pics of a Cali grower 1st thing outta your mouth should be a jaw dropping "Holly Shit" &/or " OMG"! Same goes for HI pros too.

I know 2 guys tried to start nutrient companies. Forget about it. They were both both bright and successful in other ventures and threw in the towel.

Yesonprop215 is pretty much right on about having the cheapest. Anybody want to buy some gas at last years prices? Not to get too off subject but we are talking economics. A barrel of oil is about 45 dollars right now. It costs 75 dollars to produce a barrel from shale. So the shale guys in Canada are not in business right now and that is just what OPEC wants. Unlike oil, we produce a renewable resource so you will never be in business if you can't compete with the cheapest producers. Quality is great but you can't make the consumer buy it or make a living with small batch top shelf competing against larger producers of top shelf if they can drive the price down on you and force out.

A wise grower told me a long time ago that no matter what happens just grow more. Price drops, grow more. Get robbed, grow more. Get busted, grow more. Having a baby, grow more. Thats held true for over a decade of ups and downs in this industry and will continue to into legalization. I am for legalization but not regulation like washington has done and to a lesser extent Colorado. I want to blow it out and spread my grow wings so to speak and that means acres of greenhouses and not worrying about the po po. I get excited when I think about what the future holds in Cali. 40 million people and tourism is gonna make for a lot of lungs to feed.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/growers-struggle-glut-legal-pot-washington-state-061115131--finance.html

Growers struggle with glut of legal pot in Washington state

View Image

SEATTLE (AP) — Washington's legal marijuana market opened last summer to a dearth of weed. Some stores periodically closed because they didn't have pot to sell. Prices were through the roof.

Six months later, the equation has flipped, bringing serious growing pains to the new industry.
A big harvest of sun-grown marijuana from eastern Washington last fall flooded the market. Prices are starting to come down in the state's licensed pot shops, but due to the glut, growers are — surprisingly — struggling to sell their marijuana. Some are already worried about going belly-up, finding it tougher than expected to make a living in legal weed.
"It's an economic nightmare," says Andrew Seitz, general manager at Dutch Brothers Farms in Seattle.
State data show that licensed growers had harvested 31,000 pounds of bud as of Thursday, but Washington's relatively few legal pot shops have sold less than one-fifth of that. Many of the state's marijuana users have stuck with the untaxed or much-lesser-taxed pot they get from black market dealers or unregulated medical dispensaries — limiting how quickly product moves off the shelves of legal stores.
"Every grower I know has got surplus inventory and they're concerned about it," said Scott Masengill, who has sold half of the 280 pounds he harvested from his pot farm in central Washington. "I don't know anybody getting rich."
View gallery
[URL=http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/rnfc2DmWfD.XFJedNKqMZA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE5NDtxPTc1O3c9MzAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/65f0257c94845e026b0f6a7067007e53.jpg]View Image

[/URL] In this photo taken Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015, company partner Sean O'Leary displays how cloned mar …

Officials at the state Liquor Control Board, which regulates marijuana, aren't terribly concerned.
So far, there are about 270 licensed growers in Washington — but only about 85 open stores for them to sell to. That's partly due to a slow, difficult licensing process; retail applicants who haven't been ready to open; and pot business bans in many cities and counties.
The board's legal pot project manager, Randy Simmons, says he hopes about 100 more stores will open in the next few months, providing additional outlets for the weed that's been harvested. Washington is always likely to have a glut of marijuana after the outdoor crop comes in each fall, he suggested, as the outdoor growers typically harvest one big crop which they continue to sell throughout the year.
Weed is still pricey at the state's pot shops — often in the $23-to-$25-per-gram range. That's about twice the cost at medical dispensaries, but cheaper than it was a few months ago.
Simmons said he expects pot prices to keep fluctuating for the next year and a half: "It's the volatility of a new marketplace."
View gallery
[URL=http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/QztjBwn0oJbA2APwvkTqEQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQzMjtpbD1wbGFuZTtxPTc1O3c9MzAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/7bc8b32894845e026b0f6a7067000598.jpg]View Image

[/URL] In this photo taken Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015, young plants stand under grow lamps at the Pioneer Nugge …

Colorado, the only other state with legal marijuana sales, has a differently structured industry. Regulators have kept a lid on production, though those limits were loosened last fall as part of a planned expansion of the market. Colorado growers still have to prove legal demand for their product, a regulatory curb aimed at preventing excess weed from spilling to other states. The result has been more demand than supply.
In Washington, many growers have unrealistic expectations about how quickly they should be able to recoup their initial investments, Simmons said. And some of the growers complaining about the low prices they're getting now also gouged the new stores amid shortages last summer.
Those include Seitz, who sold his first crop — 22 pounds — for just under $21 per gram: nearly $230,000 before his hefty $57,000 tax bill. He's about to harvest his second crop, but this time he expects to get just $4 per gram, when he has big bills to pay.
"We're running out of money," he said. "We need to make sales this month to stay operational, and we're going to be selling at losses."
Because of the high taxes on Washington's legal pot, Seitz says stores can never compete with the black market while paying growers sustainable prices.
View gallery
[URL=http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/KhhGXum5wo2QehZawGn.SA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTIwMTtxPTc1O3c9MzAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/b400d79a94845e026b0f6a7067004455.jpg]View Image

[/URL] In this photo taken Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015, young plants stand under grow lamps at the Pioneer Nugge …

He and other growers say it's been a mistake for the state to license so much production while the rollout of legal stores has lagged.
"If it's a natural bump from the outdoor harvest, that's one thing," said Jeremy Moberg, who is sitting on 1,500 pounds of unsold marijuana at his CannaSol Farms in north-central Washington. "If it's institutionally creating oversupply ... that's a problem."
Some retailers have been marking up the wholesale price three-fold or more — a practice that has some growers wondering if certain stores aren't cleaning up as they struggle.
"I got retailers beating me down to sell for black-market prices," said Fitz Couhig, owner of Pioneer Production and Processing in Arlington.
But two of the top-selling stores in Seattle — Uncle Ike's and Cannabis City — insist that because of their tax obligations and low demand for high-priced pot, they're not making any money either, despite each having sales of more than $600,000 per month.
View gallery
[URL=http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/btlDcnSrgO69NRwEzfvYVA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE2MDtxPTc1O3c9MzAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/ee98412594845e026b0f6a706700b049.jpg]View Image

[/URL] In this photo taken Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015, John Yin moves a marijuana plant as he prepares to trim …

Aaron Varney, a director at Dockside Cannabis, a retail shop in the Seattle suburb of Shoreline, said stores that exploit growers now could get bitten in the long run.
"Right now, the numbers will say that we're in the driver's seat," he said. "But that can change. We're looking to establish good relationships with the growers we're dealing with."

Nothing more comical than to watch a bunch of stoners trying to re-invent the wheel. Similar to giving a monkey a blunt and a football...cc

Stinkymutt

I havnt kept up with this whole thread but going by the title things around here are right as normal. We are always behind the rest of the country when it comes to economics. It takes a long time for things to trickle in to our state technology or money . But What I have noticed as an outdoor grower is that the price in the last 3 years has plummeted from over $200 oz down to $100 or so and even less for quantity . Real good indoor can still fetch a proper price in the right circles. There are so many " care givers" growing and selling now the market is flooded . But as was said already it comes down to staying one step ahead of the next grower in quality. Ok Im going to end my senseless stoned babble haha Oh yeah Im a med card holder and I didnt mean to place "care givers" in a negative place .
Peace
Mutt

Rolando Mota

I'm up in Oregon thinking about these issues. Legalization seems like a big opportunity but I think it will be a tough market. We've already got some of the cheapest product in the country and I imagine prices will just keep dropping. Plus with a small population not that many customers. The two big op growers I know both ship out of state and they've been bitching about prices too.

It's good people will no longer be thrown in jail. Plus we will be able to grow our own so I will still be able to take care of myself. But I think in the end there will be a lot fewer people here making $$ than before.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Bottom line, he's 100% right in the end.
100%?
ill dissagree. why?
because its not that simple.
i am pro legalization. i say that knowing full well it may mean i have to make a living at the rate the rest of working class america does. thats fine. if weed is legal and people stop going to prison for it id gladly take a job at whatever factory is hiring for that reality.
however if you look at how its rolling out it almost seems in some states growing will become more illegal and the only legal aspect is going to be purchasing or growing with a permission slip and a big vice tax bill.
the same will be true as before. if someone tries to grow herb for a living and they arent allowed they get a felony.
thats not legal.
legal stores are not the same as legal. it is a step in the right direction and ill take it over total prohibition. the truth is, this baby step in legalization is going to open the door to prosecutorial retreat. once the laws are barely enforced due to the onslaught of people doing whatever they want, then we will see the laws loosen further. the one thing though is once the state starts getting a paycheck we will see them grip tight. states can be far more effective than the feds in ensuring compliance in med and or rec states.
if people wanted to see legalization they should have written better laws. the bills got passed because no one wanted to see it legal the ywanted it to be regulated for money for the state. its more than semantics if you get caught growing it out from under the state revenuers.
i believe there will be a whole new generation of convicts under these laws.
itll be less, and it wont be so many poor folks getting felonies for supplementing income selling small baggies. ill take that. but it aint legal. growers will either be granted a liscense or itll be business as usual with getting caught.

oldchuck

Veteran
You guys are getting at the reason I loath the Marijuana Policy Project's popular party line: "Regulate pot they way we regulate alcohol." This is bad because alcohol is regulated to enforce a government/big corporate monopoly with high taxes and tightly controlled production. It is also bad because weed is not like alcohol in any way. Weed has a much broader and different set of uses than alcohol and I include hemp. People will grow weed they way they want no matter what the government says. And if they really want to eliminate the "black market" then government weed had better be a lot cheaper and better than bootleg.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
100%?
ill dissagree. why?
because its not that simple.
i am pro legalization. i say that knowing full well it may mean i have to make a living at the rate the rest of working class america does. thats fine. if weed is legal and people stop going to prison for it id gladly take a job at whatever factory is hiring for that reality.
however if you look at how its rolling out it almost seems in some states growing will become more illegal and the only legal aspect is going to be purchasing or growing with a permission slip and a big vice tax bill.
the same will be true as before. if someone tries to grow herb for a living and they arent allowed they get a felony.
thats not legal.
legal stores are not the same as legal. it is a step in the right direction and ill take it over total prohibition. the truth is, this baby step in legalization is going to open the door to prosecutorial retreat. once the laws are barely enforced due to the onslaught of people doing whatever they want, then we will see the laws loosen further. the one thing though is once the state starts getting a paycheck we will see them grip tight. states can be far more effective than the feds in ensuring compliance in med and or rec states.
if people wanted to see legalization they should have written better laws. the bills got passed because no one wanted to see it legal the ywanted it to be regulated for money for the state. its more than semantics if you get caught growing it out from under the state revenuers.
i believe there will be a whole new generation of convicts under these laws.
itll be less, and it wont be so many poor folks getting felonies for supplementing income selling small baggies. ill take that. but it aint legal. growers will either be granted a liscense or itll be business as usual with getting caught.

I agree, that is what is happening. I'm actually in IL, so I see it happening first hand. But most people consider it progress, to slow arrests. CO, arrests have dropped by 84% since 2010, 41% in the last two years. 80% of all those arrests were for possession alone. That is progress. That's also legalization. It sucks that many eastern states are limiting growing, but things can change later. I do hear about how some in the legal CO industry have been lobbying against relaxing laws, though. This is disturbing.

By not supporting progressive changes, one is supporting the status quo. The status quo, in most places, including CA, is that bottom line, in the end, these laws work by using the disincentive of possible incarceration. This incarceration happens, to real people, all the time. If one thinks that it isn't progressive to allow stores to sell herb to people, and eliminate the possibility for consumers to be put in cages or their lives upended, then I just dno man.

Never would have thought Cali to be the last place on the west coast to legalize.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
+ The last legalization drive in Cali, the initiative was in no way as restrictive as any non-grow med states. People were bitching about a DUI law. It came down to lost revenue in the black/grey market, in terms of stoneheads voting no.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
California is, in total, a great deal more conservative than most people know. The opposition to herb even in norcal can be strong, believe it or not. Oldsters are the problem.

I hope the gummint figures it out soon, cause watching these E and Midwest money-people who have never even smoked pot reinvent the wheel is painful. Or the "Pay to Play" scenario in IL. So arrogant, you would not believe the absurdities I have encountered in my Consultancies. Like pathetic comedy with Douchebags starring in ALL roles. There will be MASSIVE crop failures, due to the blustering growers that often will have found their way to the handles on the Nutrient taps. I do not expect that will change for years. It is - after all- cannabizness.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
A friend was on onioun markets surveying for price reports.

He said it seems BC, CA, WA growers are dumping (via market brokers/sellers) *!!lots!!* of of A+Grade greenouse/outdoor for ~$1200 per unit. Buying in bulk it gets cheaper. AAA+ grade indoor of killer strains are $280 OZ for sellers with top reputation. Extract prices are all over the place.

They ship everything stealth triple wrapped and tripe washed with isopropyl baths and the delivery rate worldwide shipping is 99.9% successful USPS. Absolutely craziness the amount of commerce going on in these markets. One goes down, three more pop up- sound familiar??

IMO there is going to be a long ten or twenty year period where everything transitions from blackmarket to graymarket to full legality. Eventually there will be difference between "boxed wine" and "fine wine" etc.

Anyways, I am just happy people will stop going to jail over this. At the end of the day don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited:

Allendawg

I would question what their definition of A grade is. I've been selling mine @ 3 to 32 for quite awhile now & I'm not happy with that price. Furthermore I've consulted for many massive indoor grows & many large outdoor whom supply the brokers, no way is that shit A grade, OG Girl Scout they are growing it all its not A grade, it is better than anything grown eastward. Of course if they need my help its my opinion they can't grow A grade! Clumping BC WA & Cali together should be an indicator that network is Ghetto. If anything it's infested with mold & bugs it just looks good on the outside but when you break it open you'll see the damage!

Allendawg

That show pot baron they paid 4k for lbs guessing it was the good stuff cause some also went @ mid 2's that in flooded CO! Now that I think of it dark net probably a scam just like breeder marketing, Nute marketing, etc....

RetroGrow

Veteran
It's a lot more complicated than that. That's oversimplifying it.

Really?
Keeping Cannabis criminalized means all growers, and users are criminals under the law, and as such are subject to incarceration, just as the founder of this site is in prison right now, along with lots of other people.
Nothing simplified about it.
Illegal= prison.
Legal = no prison.
That's the main issue here, NOT whether Krunchbubble or others can make piles of money if it stays criminalized.
That's been the whole reason for the decades old movement to decriminalize, or maybe you missed that part. It's what most of us have been fighting for.
The personal greed of individuals is trumped by the need for freedom for those incarcerated for Cannabis, and frankly, the opposing opinion is both selfish, greedy, and a bit sickening.
The people who want to keep it criminalized are the Prison guard unions, the police unions, the pharmaceutical and beer companies. In other words, all the people who are in business locking us up and killing any potential competition for their actually dangerous drugs. If you're down with them, all I can say is, "what are you, a cop?"
The growers who want to keep their "brothers" in jail so that they can profit more, are not "brothers" at all. They are just greedy and selfish.

Latest posts

Latest posts