What's new

Who knows the Original Characteristics of the oldskool NL#5 (´89/´90)?

TheHatman

That's what Sensi Seeds says about it.....
okay it was the sensi NL.. I was surprised when I read you comment, because in my opinion sensi never sold a pure NL5. But in past sensi NL was great - no idea how the sensi NL is like nower days.

WIIIDZN

Schüler und Lehrer zugleich...
Yes, it wasn´t sold as NL#5, but it was (for me) the real NL#5 Cut in taste and......

There were 4 or 5 mothers, but this was the real one for me i had saved.

greets

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Northern lights was (at least in this piece of eu)a royal genetics, something fantastic to grow, and until the new wave of californian strains it was a must for many of us ...
Considering that sensiseeds used Nevil plants to do their job, I would most likely say their NL is (nl5 x nl2 (already made by Nevil) x nl1...
It would also be interesting to rummage through the versions of nirvana and kcbrain.
Just my opinion.

[Maschinenhaus]

The genetic ancestry of the various Northern Lights plants quickly becomes confusing, as the overall lineage is diverse, but also closely related and inbred.

Because of its complex ancestry, Jack Herer has a 50% NL#5 content, four main phenotypes, and don't forget good old Cinderella99.

I'll be looking for the NL#5 in my original Brother Grimm Cinderella that an old friend bought just before or after the 00s.

And then there's Silver Haze, which I've been growing for a long time and which I think would also be interesting in its old form?

Last edited:

RobertFripp

The Green Stash on Strainly has the Sensi Seeds version of the 90s NL5 for sale at F2. Its killer, and exactly as I rememebr the NL5 bling in the 90s. Also up until the mid 2000s I really didnt find any difference in the NL5 genetics from the 90s, but I think sometime around the later 2000s Sensi lost one of the original pants they used to make the NL5, and if you look at Sensi advertisments, they no llonger advertise it as NL5.

The NL5 I remember was a small-medium ized plant with intensly resinous buds of the highest quality. They were done in 60 days or les after flip. The had a pine skunky scent, and would blow your head clean off. And some of the phenos would cause paranoia, and a feeling of being overwhelmed by some people. It was not weed for the faint hearted. Some phenos weer extremely anxiety prone, which is what I liked.

AkBeanBrains also has the 90s NL5 genetics. NL5 X NL5. I believe his female comes from 90S Sensi stock, and the male was selected from 1990 genetics from Marc Emory.

I also believe AKBB has the original Durban Poison before it was crossed to Sk1. Its an 80+ days flowering strain, if its not sold out. Dave also has more strains available from him vs buying from seed vendors. He also has the 90s NL5 X Haze, and many others. Black Domina is another he has.

Last edited:

[Maschinenhaus]

The breeders in the Netherlands in the past, as far as I know, largely relied on American foundation work.

An example would be the Cinderella 99, a quite good, stable USA genetics. What stable genetics that are not based on USA genetics have the Dutch presented in the past?

Already in the late 1990s, it started with the wildest crosses that emerged faster and faster and where there is a lot of money, there is also a lot of envy and jealousy. So disappeared quite good work on genetics that once came quite from Holland.

Genetics like Haze, Skunk, Northern Lights did not fall from the sky, it took some time. Really stable genetics are lacking in the Dutch market! Feminized-F1 hybrids are developed faster and harder to copy, it was and is a money printing machine. Even today, someone comes out of nowhere, goes old hippy, crosses wildly everything the market in the Netherlands has to offer in seeds and throws it on the market with funny or important sounding names and at completely exorbitant prices.

Add a few cool sayings that the stoners like to hear, some gaudy colorful hippie layout and Krishna hype, mendacious, exaggerated descriptions and the hype is done.

Last edited:

Dime

I don't think they were growing any good weed before the introduction of the strains that the guys from the US brought over,they had nothing to work with,the US had a bigger market,more money,experience and better access to Mexico,S America and Holland just had relaxed laws . Northern Lights and Skunk#1 changed the scene and everything today has either or both in it somewhere along the line. What the Dutch knew about though was making money and growing and they took the given genetics to it's potential through crossing and growing them out properly under lamps to make a lot of it by strain selection/recombinations for a huge profit as the US penalties were insane fewer risked the penalties. The best weed was lost when the first prohibition came,before that it became a pharmaceutical companies domain with no legal barriers, a trip to Mexico or India got wicked weed for pocket change. I think NL ,SK#1 etc were perhaps salvaged from those days from remaining seed,losing a bit as time goes, as it still is. I don't think the best we smoke today was near the average of yester year. If new blood isn't introduced,people keep making polyhybrids,just letting plants screw and concern for bag appeal as top priority, the weed will keep losing uniqueness and fun quality as most strains have the same effect just different degrees of the effect,the commercial strains have replaced remaining landraces ,or hybridized in their own country, that are of any value beyond hope of a mutant or diversity and big stoney buds fetch the cash,and everybody wants a slice. Save your best and make quality copies for preservation because legalization is going to fuck it up even more and the pretty weeds' trichromes are more and more filled with placebo.

Tynehead Tom

I grew the Clone NL5 for several years in the 90's. This was the USA clone only not a seedbank version.
Can't say much other than from a clone, NL 5 grew into a bush with no main dominant cola and did so with no training required. She did require a lot of stripping to avoid plants full of larf.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Why not simply do what Neville did with a little selection of North Afghan MIS heirloom? :sneaky: Or do what Afghan did with BLDA x NLDA creation!

I think that the US/NL work and hype is so laughable from the Afghan breeders and paradoxically ridiculous i even would say! Take 1000 seeds from a North Afghan farmer and you will can rebuild 100 differents NLs and OGs Chems with of course better positive and spiritual happy high that is lost nowadays due to the early flowerings precipice.

Last edited:

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
She did require a lot of stripping to avoid plants full of larf.
What is 'larf' please?

I don't think they were growing any good weed before the introduction of the strains that the guys from the US brought over,they had nothing to work with,the US had a bigger market,more money,experience and better access to Mexico,S America and Holland just had relaxed laws . Northern Lights and Skunk#1 changed the scene and everything today has either or both in it somewhere along the line. What the Dutch knew about though was making money and growing and they took the given genetics to it's potential through crossing and growing them out properly under lamps to make a lot of it by strain selection/recombinations for a huge profit as the US penalties were insane fewer risked the penalties. The best weed was lost when the first prohibition came,before that it became a pharmaceutical companies domain with no legal barriers, a trip to Mexico or India got wicked weed for pocket change. I think NL ,SK#1 etc were perhaps salvaged from those days from remaining seed,losing a bit as time goes, as it still is. I don't think the best we smoke today was near the average of yester year. If new blood isn't introduced,people keep making polyhybrids,just letting plants screw and concern for bag appeal as top priority, the weed will keep losing uniqueness and fun quality as most strains have the same effect just different degrees of the effect,the commercial strains have replaced remaining landraces ,or hybridized in their own country, that are of any value beyond hope of a mutant or diversity and big stoney buds fetch the cash,and everybody wants a slice. Save your best and make quality copies for preservation because legalization is going to fuck it up even more and the pretty weeds' trichromes are more and more filled with placebo.
Really good post but hard to read as a textblock. ;)

Tynehead Tom

Why not simply do what Neville did with a little selection of North Afghan MIS heirloom? :sneaky: Or do what Afghan did with BLDA x NLDA creation!

I think that the US/NL work and hype is so laughable from the Afghan breeders and paradoxically ridiculous i even would say! Take 1000 seeds from a North Afghan farmer and you will can rebuild 100 differents NLs and OGs Chems with of course better positive and spiritual happy high that is lost nowadays due to the early flowerings precipice.
I dunno if I agree with this.
The source plants folks were working with to build the strains you mention would all have to be tracked down in a country so war torn now and ruled by folks that won;t be letting any stoners visit the hashishin any time soon. Back when the seeds of the building block strains were being discovered the world was a different place. 1000 seeds from where? Which farmer? Which region? I would say it would be near impossible to repeat the past , especially with a 1000 seeds even if they were from the exact cultivars the seeds were to come from. A lack of those identical seeds would then beg for the need to grow 10's of thousands of seeds and have an army of phenotype hunters searching for "the one". I say it can't happen, nature is too random and the parts of the world the hunt needs to take place in is pretty much offlimits to westerners. Strappin a canadian flag to your travellin pack will only get you shot, beheaded, burned alive in a cage...... when back when the folks were receiving the seeds that made the NL lines..... a hippy traveller would do well in those countries with a canadian leaf on his pack..... the world has changed.

Not to say that someone somewhere working with blending of landrace genetics from these areas and others can't come up with something new and exciting. It's being done I'm sure but with the millions of online weed users and growers, the pool is too big these days for new strains to be noticed unless they are rolled out by an already respected seed company or breeder.
We can't change the past and in many cases we can't bring it back..... but we can collectively work to preserve and improve the characteristics that we knew and loved about the plant.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ill post this here as well.

NL1 is the only good pure Afghan male line Nevile said he had. Since we don't know what was used to make NL other than the Afghan side.

The Maple Leaf line is what provided him with a plant that he labeled Afghan T female he used with SK#1 to make superskunk.. Mapleleaf(Ortega) is listed as a pure AFGH line. No other info

Purest indica was the backbone of the NL 1-11 seeds.. PI is an old school Afgh line acquired by Seattle Gregg. Nevile used (ML)Afghan T x SK#1 to make super skunk. NL1 is the closes pheno to the original Purest indica seeds that were found.

If I understand it correctly NL#1 is a close AFGH phenotype to PI. I know he used ML x SK#1 to make SS. PI x SK#1 could be a close representation of Superskunk?..

NL#1=AFGH..Strongest Indica Nevile had.
PI=AFGH X sk#1= Super skunk?.
ML=AFGH x SK#1 is Neviles original SuperSkunk
PI/NL#1 ARE RELATED

Last edited:

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Ill post this here as well.

NL1 is the only good pure Afghan male line Nevile said he had. Since we don't know what was used to make NL other than the Afghan side.

The Maple Leaf line is what provided him with a plant that he labeled Afghan T female he used with SK#1 to make superskunk.. Mapleleaf(Ortega) is listed as a pure AFGH line. No other info

Purest indica was the backbone of the NL 1-11 seeds.. PI is an old school Afgh line acquired by Seattle Gregg. Nevile used (ML)Afghan T x SK#1 to make super skunk. NL1 is the closes pheno to the original Purest indica seeds that were found.

If I understand it correctly NL#1 is a close phenotype to PI so PI x SK#1 could be a close representation of Superskunk?..

image.jpeg

From the 1989 Seed Bank Catalogue. Imagine what you could find in that pack of 50!!!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The info I posted above was what Nevile posted. He said "The Maple Leaf came from a guy known to me as Jim Ortega. The Maple Leaf line provided me with a plant that I labeled Afghan T. This plant is the mother of Super/Ultra Skunk and also crossed well with HzC. Let me say one more thing about ML AfgT. This plant had exactly the same smell as Sams best SK1 but more so. It is the true Skunk archetype. I do not believe for one N.Y. minute that Afghani#1 is behind the SK1. The Maple Leaf cultivar AfgT had a full sister, (ML)AfgS. She was a fruitier counterpart to (ML)AfgT.

Last edited: