What's new

Who knows the Original Characteristics of the oldskool NL#5 (´89/´90)?

TheHatman

My question is short, but both short ans long answers are welcome.

What I plan to do:
I currently have 4 lines of Northern Lights #5 and will make a reproduction in the next weeks. In the following breeding steps, i would like to select according to the well-known characteristics of the NL#5 of the old days.

My question for you:
Are here in the forum old hands who remember of this old strain? Who can describe the plant characteristics / the weed / the effect / terpenes...? And does anyone of you have old photos of NL#5 plants?

Or maybe you have a link to more information about old traits of NL#5?

I look forward to your informative answers,

greetz
hatman
:tiphat:

Last edited:

FletchF.Fletch

420club
It was a very resinous Indica that closely resembled Mazar I Sharif. #2 looked like Hindu Kush.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

These are from the 1989 Seed Bank Catalogue.

TheHatman

Thanks @FletchF.Fletch for your information and pictures!!

I´ve found this NL5 pic in another The Seed Catalogue from ´86 as "Nothern Lights Hybrid" by Ed Rosenthal.
6.jpg

Then I´ve found in my Database pics from the High Times Cannabis Cup ´89 the NL5 has won. But you can't see any details in the photos..
NL5 Bud HTcup89.jpg

A NL5 sample of the ´pure indica´ section

NL5 Pflanze HTcup89.jpg

The winner: NL5 plant

NL5 Top HTcup89.jpg

Another bud of NL5

If one of you have more photos or information about the NL5 it would be awesome..

greetz
hatman

[Maschinenhaus]

Are here in the forum old hands who remember of this old strain? Who can describe the plant characteristics / the weed / the effect / terpenes...? And does anyone of you have old photos of NL#5 plants?

Gude The Hatman,

The original Northern Lights plants were pure Afghan Indica var indica and only later something from Asia, I think Thai was crossed in?

Are you interested in NL#5 or generally this line before it came to the Netherlands in the 1980s?

Kind regards
[Maschinenhaus]

TheHatman

So far as I know, there were 11 lines of northern lights. #1 to #5 were 100% afghani and #6 to #11 were crosses with different ´sativa´ strains. NL#5 was a cross between afghani and an hawaiian. The NL#5 that has won the cup was a cut, that was sent to nevil in 80s.

I´m interested in the variaty NL#5 and its characteristics in the late 80s: the characteristics of the variety as well as the legendary cut.

greetz,
hatman

[Maschinenhaus]

I´m interested in the variaty NL#5 and its characteristics in the late 80s: the characteristics of the variety as well as the legendary cut.

In the Swiss forum I wrote about it a few years ago what long, I mean you were there? It was also about Neville Schoenmaker, I'll see what I find in my data collection?

Are you going to the next Mary Jane or Cannafair? Then I can give you something very old from Afghanistan and Pakistan, 1966!

;-)

Last edited:

William76

The original indica nl 1 and 2 was/are stinky and strong,and can hang with anything around today,there was a few low odour phenos,obviously bad selection has led to nls gradual decline,but the originals are still around here and there.76

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bodhi seeds did a NL#5 release some years ago. He has been working on a Northern lights select line for a while. He released a mix of all their favorite phenos of bcsc northern lights 5 in an open pollination from the f3 generation. I have some of these seeds in my vault. A great source of info.

Also, Todd McCormick offers both NL#2 and NL#5. He has another called "Purest Indica" which he says is the original variety of the Northern Lights line. It was acquired in 1979 by Seattle Greg through the author Murphy Stevens as "Purest Indica" and became the backbone of all of the Northern Lights hybrids. He has all of these seeds available. I have some of his Purest indica seeds in my vault.

Seattle Greg told todd that after he got the seeds from Murphy Stevens, he inbred them and passed the seeds he made around to his friends who crossed it with their seed stock and created what is now known as the Northern Lights line of #1 through #11. The #1 is closest to this original "Purest Indica" and the #11 being the most tropical and furthest from this "Purest Indica".There's more info on his website. Here is a link to the history of Northern lights.

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Bodhi seeds did a NL#5 release some years ago. He has been working on a Northern lights select line for a while. He released a mix of all their favorite phenos of bcsc northern lights 5 in an open pollination from the f3 generation. I have some of these seeds in my vault.

Also Todd McCormick offers both NL#2 and NL#5. He has another called "Purest Indica" which he says is the original variety of the Northern Lights line. It was acquired in 1979 by Seattle Greg through the author Murphy Stevens as "Purest Indica" and became the backbone of all of the Northern Lights hybrids. He has all of these seeds available. I have some of his Purest indica seeds in my vault.

Seattle Greg told todd that after he got the seeds from Murphy Stevens, he inbred them and passed the seeds he made around to his friends who crossed it with their seed stock and created what is now known as the Northern Lights line of #1 through #11. The #1 is closest to this original "Purest Indica" and the #11 being the most tropical and furthest from this "Purest Indica".There's more info on his website. Here is a link to the history of Northern lights.

That's what Steve told me - there was the pure NL "purest indica"
And then they crossed that to other lines to make the numbered NL lines. NL5 being Hawaiian x NL.

As far as growth, NL5 is branch and explodes in flowering stretch almost over night just a couole weeks in.
Post #10 is a good reference of how branch the axial branches are, while maintaining a dense main cola. Really, a perfect sativa x indica hybrid.

[Maschinenhaus]

Sounds nice Mr. Maschine! Would be very interesting to take a look at the characteristics of your varieties from ´66. MJ next year - i´ll be there.

I'll give you a batch each of fresh and old seeds at the show. With you they are in good hands. At the Cannafair I have already given someone some, also other varieties from Africa.

In return, there was something for my Haze collection, you know my craziness in this regard.

Did you find the post in the Swiss forum about the Northern Light line?

Classification

I follow the discussions on the web about this very closely, I think the new assessment or classification is correct. But I find it hard to do so the old thinking with Indica and Sativa is so entrenched. ;-)

Last edited:

TheHatman

Did you find the post in the Swiss forum about the Northern Light line?

There are so may entries with NL an so that i couldn´t find the right one you´ve posted.. if you find it, would be nice you can post it here .. :)

I think the new assessment or classification is correct.
yea I´m not a friend of this oldschool ´indica / sativa´ classification, but when I talk with people often I say it too because - and you said it - eyeryone ist used to say it this way - it´s habit.. but i write as often as i can that the old criteria need to be reconsidered. maybe the way like in the paper you posted..

greetz
hatman

Latest posts

Latest posts