What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What to do do to get more males?

therevverend

Veteran
Considering you can pay to have your seedlings sexed immediately after sprouting, with 99.99% accuracy, I reckon it's determined at birth. If not earlier. (Herms are the exception. A female that throws balls is counted as female; a male that throws hairs is male) There is absolutely nothing you can do to change this.

You can stress the plant, heat, bad lighting, etc. and it could throw balls. But that's a hermaphrodite and I don't recommend that type of breeding except as a last resort.

You can order a test kit, just google 'cannabis sex test kit' and see what pops up. Here's an example.

I'm not vouching for them because they're a random example I found. But they look legit to me. You can also have your plants tested for various diseases. The price isn't bad when you consider how much light, space, and soil you waste waiting for your plants to sex. When you could cull the males. Or give them substandard treatment to save a buck.

(Males require far less light, nutrients, root space, etc. to successfuly flower. As soon as I determine a plant is male I stick it in a shady spot away from the girls in a tiny root bound plant. For the last few days I'll move it indoor into the garage. It's male abuse and it's a cruel thing..)

JetLife175

Veteran
There is nothing that would improve the odds of getting more male plants. Reg seeds should be 50% male.

Male plants are always more vigorous in my garden.

I grew a lot of PP seeds. Most were female. I still have some of those projects in the refer
You must have been one of the lucky ones. I popped 100 seeds got 82 males. A few others I know too.

That bei said, the fems I did get were proper.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a lot of the seeds from the 1st release. I don't remember but I could swear he listed them as fems?. I think I posted about finding a male. I liked those PP seeds.

kro-magnon

Veteran
The Peyote Purple were first listed as feminized but after some growers had some "males" popping they were listed as regular. The seeds I had became female at 100%, it's the first time I see someone report so much males from those seeds. I knew some growers had sometimes some plants who had only male flowers but 80% males that's huge , it shows how unstable this line was. Many crosses were made with PP females I wonder how stable they are.

JetLife175

Veteran
I got a lot of the seeds from the 1st release. I don't remember but I could swear he listed them as fems?. I think I posted about finding a male. I liked those PP seeds.
He did list them as fems. But there were a lot of us that pulled mainly males out of the packs which is why the issues ensued.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got some really good feedback from Purplefrostbyte. Peyote x Qurkle. (The last project PPxQxMAC were freebies)
Hammerhead_-_Purple_Frostbyte.jpg

kro-magnon

Veteran
I remember some metalic smells in the PP buds, did you have some in yours as well? I really don't know where it was coming from and what was the genetic make up of this Peyote Purple.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I don't know if the PP was a pure Bubba Kush S1, I know it was described as one but the metallic smell and narrow leaves some plant had were pretty out of place for a straight BK S1. Maybe it was a Bubba hybrid with something else bringing the weird traits. I'd like to see a grow of CSI Humboldt Bubba K S1 to compare with the 10 Peyote Purple females I've grown, if there is some pheno with narrow leaves and metallic smell.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going over some of my old PP posts. I was wrong. The 1st release was sold as Reg. I would guess there were some reg and fem seeds that got mingled together in later batches..

Peyote Purple is being sold as a regular job developed by a good friend and released as limited edition by CannaBioGen from a freaky/funny pheno of Bubba. Now available the first batch of Purple Peyote in limited edition is at your disposal until the end of stock. Earlier this year, and the following lots will be larger. Feminized version.

JetLife175

Veteran
Going over some of my old PP posts. I was wrong. The 1st release was sold as Reg. I would guess there were some reg and fem seeds that got mingled together in later batches..

Peyote Purple is being sold as a regular job developed by a good friend and released as limited edition by CannaBioGen from a freaky/funny pheno of Bubba. Now available the first batch of Purple Peyote in limited edition is at your disposal until the end of stock. Earlier this year, and the following lots will be larger. Feminized version.
This right here is something I was not aware of and makes complete sense. That's such a trip. Thanks for narrowing that down hammer.

Zeta Reticuli

Polen that is long time keeped in refrigerator have tendency to give more males than females if
you work regular seeds.

kro-magnon

Veteran

There has never been real PP reg seeds, they have always been feminized seeds but sold as reg because of the males poping sometimes. It was explained on the Cannabiogen website.
You can check the old sub forum of Cannabiogen , there is a thread Peyote Purple and even posts of Hammerhead saying he had only females from his seeds they were always S1. Hammerhead finally had a "male" after poping more than 20 seeds so it was rare to get one. It's really strange to see 80% of "male" out of those seeds.
I've read a post from Kaiki in the PP thread where he explains how it was done, it's Katsu Bubba Kush S1 who produced a specific female and a "male', this was the first release who produces feminized seeds but sold as regulars. And after Kaiki add the Pre 98 Bubba Kush and work the line but always with feminized who could produce "males". It's not very clear in his post and I can't quote it. It is the first example of a seed line produces with a "male" coming out of S1(feminzed) seeds I think. It was quite a mess the creation of this hybrid.
I don't know if the Bubba Kush S1 were really pure BK because there is many narrow leaved plants in the thread and I had some as well. The metalic smell is in the cross description from Kaiki this also could hint at a contamination from a sativa .

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There has never been real PP reg seeds, they have always been feminized seeds but sold as reg because of the males poping sometimes. It was explained on the Cannabiogen website.
You can check the old sub forum of Cannabiogen , there is a thread Peyote Purple and even posts of Hammerhead saying he had only females from his seeds they were always S1. Hammerhead finally had a "male" after poping more than 20 seeds so it was rare to get one. It's really strange to see 80% of "male" out of those seeds.
I've read a post from Kaiki in the PP thread where he explains how it was done, it's Katsu Bubba Kush S1 who produced a specific female and a "male', this was the first release who produces feminized seeds but sold as regulars. And after Kaiki add the Pre 98 Bubba Kush and work the line but always with feminized who could produce "males". It's not very clear in his post and I can't quote it. It is the first example of a seed line produces with a "male" coming out of S1(feminzed) seeds I think. It was quite a mess the creation of this hybrid.
I don't know if the Bubba Kush S1 were really pure BK because there is many narrow leaved plants in the thread and I had some as well. The metalic smell is in the cross description from Kaiki this also could hint at a contamination from a sativa .
Nope, The 1st releases were reg seeds. It was a small limited release—that's why I posted Kaki's posts. The info is here.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Nope, The 1st releases were reg seeds. It was a small limited release—that's why I posted Kaki's posts. The info is here.
I went to read the old thread and it clearly says the first release was made with the progeny from Bubba Kush S1, I can't quote this old thread but I'll take a picture of Kaiki's post if you want. And the quote you posted says "sold as regular" because they were fem seeds but producing sometimes makes.

kro-magnon

Veteran
This is the posts explaining the origin of PP, they were always fem seeds

Attachments

• CD9C9591-2F8F-45D6-981E-EBE7A96C3100.jpeg
    CD9C9591-2F8F-45D6-981E-EBE7A96C3100.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • F31E8D3E-823C-430C-A877-344B74F282F3.jpeg
    F31E8D3E-823C-430C-A877-344B74F282F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 5D54D09A-9866-4DD8-8073-291F365D0C73.jpeg
    5D54D09A-9866-4DD8-8073-291F365D0C73.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the posts explaining the origin of PP, they were always fem seeds
This was talked about in length. I can't say it any other way. the 1st limited release was not fem seeds. !!!.Hee is a post from Charlie AKA Kaki. The seeds I got were direct from him. They were not sold anywhere else. Any other thread where he talks about fem/s1 seeds were not the 1st releases. Some thought PP is more like Bubba Kush Katsu. Lots of confusion because they released both Reg and fem seeds. Also, Charlie did not speak English well. I'm sure you can find my posts in all of those PP threads

https://www.icmag.com/threads/peyote-purple.188641/page-4#post-5685642

Last edited:

Shua1991

I got some really good feedback from Purplefrostbyte. Peyote x Qurkle. (The last project PPxQxMAC were freebies)
View attachment 19041916
I was going to ask you which pheno of Querkle you used i've got a test tent for my current batch of males, and I have 3 Querkle I can select from.

Ranging from fast onset (green) grape soda to slower more squat (purple) grape taffy pepper funk and one in the middle.

IMG_20240803_205921.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts