What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What to do do to get more males?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would it be possible for a stressed or nutrient deficient plant to favour the production of one sex.
The male has a larger dna content if that is relevant.

mudballs

Yeah probably...hormones signal plants to hermi...signals never stop, from the moment the germplasm gets wet...enzymes...yeah it's a mystery wrapped in an enigma

mudballs

The larger male DNA may be a contributing factor in the vigor most of us agree males have over females...i have no evidence for that, but it sounds right

CharlesU Farley

Males seem slightly more vigorous from germination , the best looking plants turn out to be male with depressing frequency.

With some 15 year old seed poorly stored i get 80% males from the 20% that germinate.
I can only speak to my experience, but my staminate seedlings are _much_ more vigorous then the pistillate, almost always.

That's one of the main reasons I think chemical manipulation of sexuality will ultimately lead to inferior plants.

SunnyListon

Intermediate result: 5 out of 5 came, one problem child, but made it.

This is how its made:
12 hours in water peroxide 3%, then sprout between kitchen cotton, then sterile potting soil, then normal normal potting soil

mudballs

Somewhere between meiosis and seed set something from mommy plant tells it to make a male or a female seed...all natural selection wind polinated angiosperms display this bias. There are plants that bias to male but ours doesn't, it prefers females.

CharlesU Farley

When you want them, you can’t get them ..when you don’t want them they’re all over the place (males)
Isn't that the truth! I think this is the best batch of staminate plants I've ever had, could only keep one and for what I was trying to accomplish at the time, that was the one on the far left.

I _so_ wanted to keep the one on the far right but just didn't have room, knew I wasn't going to be making any more seeds for a year or two, so I knew the pollen wouldn't last.

If I could have only found this one when I had first isolated the Type II/Indica portion of Northern lights, it would have made my life so much easier back then.
the_boys-jpg.19041146

Attachments

• the_boys.jpg
    the_boys.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155

Maria Sanchez

My first reaction to the question, was to answer "Fervently pray for females".

My first thought for 'more males' was to offer free drinks to the ladies.
No, wait, that's for more of a different kind of male ...

If you want more males, plant more seeds.
With a five pack, drop them all, only 3% chance you get all ladies.
Otherwise 97% chance you'll have some boys.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In practice, the natural female/male ratio is more like 65:35."
Google search
I said it's not supposed to be 50/50.

Books about this have not changed. It's still 50/50.. While it’s best to use a 50:50 ratio, "the actual distribution is often closer to 65% female and 35% male". I don't agree with the cannabis training university statement. They're using this based on air pollination. From my experiences and what I've read in books 50/50 still holds for me.

mudballs

It's cool...you know how experienced structural engineers read blueprints and demand changes, due to 'real world' conditions? ...books prepare you for real life

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is real life.. Expecting to see the same ratio from a pile of seeds isn't gonna happen. The sex we get is random. The ratio will change in every batch we grow. Male cannabis plants have one X and one Y chromosome (XY). This is where the 50/50 ratio comes into play. His pollen will determine the sex of a seed. Female cannabis plants have two X chromosomes (XX).

Last edited:

mudballs

It is real life.. Expecting to see the same ratio from a pile of seeds isn't gonna happen. The sex we get is random. The ratio will change in every batch we grow.
Yes any given seed is a 50/50 lotto M or F, sans femminized, yet my point standing is that the female doesn't produce 50/50 M/F in utero, in vitro, watever, then you account for in field, feral, natural selection population sex ratios and you see the bias...in action.

Latest posts

Latest posts