What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What to do do to get more males?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If a 5 seed germ produces more than 1:5 males it tells you little of value .
Statistics and odds fall apart at low number heads or tails.

Almost 400 of one seed batch grown out over last ten years are 60% female overall with individual ten plant runs haveing all female or all male and everything in between.
Expect the 50% ratio to be closer if i manage to grow out a few hundred more.

mudballs

Im saying to tent growers, if you are getting more than 1 in 5 in your restricted population of attempts, maybe look for another line...i know more than most how and when the numbers game applies in cannabis...right now we are working with a grower that's worried about his 5 seeds...remember

mudballs

50/50 is the guaranteed output in meiosis, between P1 x P2...the seed pile itself and how it should germ out is not, and should not be, 50/50

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The seeds are already male or female, so concentrate on getting as many as possible to pop. The chances of all 5 being the same sex (given a 50/50 chance) is 1 in 32 so you should be fine.
(this presumes an x/y sex determination rather than x to autosome )

VG

couchlockd

Nothing nothing you can do will get more males those plants genetics are programmed before they're even popped.

Now there are myths and old wives towels that say you can get more female or male due to certain conditions during germination in early growth.

To increase females they say to give it more blue light keep him a little bit wetter.

To make the likelihood of Mel's increase it said to germinate and do early growth under sodium light spectrum and keep them on the more dry side. But I believe that's all bullshit and the plant's genetics are preset and determined

mudballs

If a plant makes 400 seeds, example purposes only, it isn't pre-programmed to precisely make 200 male seeds and 200 female seeds...there's some stuff at play that gives it a lean to females...i don't remember where i came to that conclusion, i know we're in bro science territory

mudballs

It mixes chromosome parts 50:50 at meiosis (P1 x P2)...that we know...but things can tell the seed "yoos gonna be a male" ...yoos gonna be this pheno expression...it gets weird like quantum mechanics and gravity cant be resolved

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
I drop a dozen seeds every month and have done so for a long time.
There is no rhyme or reason sometimes its a split sometimes it 70\30 a couple times its been 100% both ways........crapshoot.

that’s a job for an actuary..

growing cannabis is such a fun and interesting hobby

from weekend hobbyists to PhD’s , cannabis covers the entire spectrum

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Males seem slightly more vigorous from germination , the best looking plants turn out to be male with depressing frequency.

With some 15 year old seed poorly stored i get 80% males from the 20% that germinate.

radioman

I used to grow lots of weed outside with standard seeds. I'd be late on picking out all the males or miss one. I made a ton of seeds. The same strains were grown out year after year with the seeds produced. Anyway I have noticed that one of the strains always seems to put out more males than females. I actually put out a few of that strain this year after not growing it for around 5 years or so. Maybe it produces more males because it's an outside strain and it's trying to make sure it makes seeds for the next year...