What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What to do do to get more males?

kro-magnon

Veteran
This was talked about in length. I can't say it any other way. the 1st limited release was not fem seeds. !!!.Hee is a post from Charlie AKA Kaki. The seeds I got were direct from him. They were not sold anywhere else. Any other thread where he talks about fem/s1 seeds were not the 1st releases. Some thought PP is more like Bubba Kush Katsu. Lots of confusion because they released both Reg and fem seeds. Also, Charlie did not speak English well. I'm sure you can find my posts in all of those PP threads

https://www.icmag.com/threads/peyote-purple.188641/page-4#post-5685642
I have shown pictures from this same thread who explain how it was made and it was never real regular seeds, even your own posts say you had only females out of those seeds and got one male after poping 20 seeds, this can't be the result of regular seeds. The turn of phrase sold as regular would not be used if it were just regular seeds.
He used a male coming from S1 seeds that didn't produce regular seeds.
I ordered the seeds from Cannabiogen directly but I have to check my old grow logs to know when it was exactly, I can't say what batch of seeds I had.
The fact he used a "male" coming from S1 plants is what is causing the ambiguity about regular or feminized seeds, the first batch was made as regular seeds are done, i.e with a "male" but this male was a XX plant if coming from feminized seeds that's why I think you can't call them regular seeds and they certainly didn't behave as regular seeds for the vast majority of growers. I had 10 females from the 10 seeds I've grown, it's a ratio I never had with any other seeds except recently with Cherry Gorilla F2, from 5 seeds I had 4 females and one didn't make it. It would have been nice to send the "male" he used for a DNA analysis to see what really comes out of a plant behaving like a male from feminized seeds. Logically it should be XX so the seeds he produced were feminized as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMT

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The querkle seeds I used were 16 years ago. I don't remember
I have shown pictures from this same thread who explain how it was made and it was never real regular seeds, even your own posts say you had only females out of those seeds and got one male after poping 20 seeds, this can't be the result of regular seeds. The turn of phrase sold as regular would not be used if it were just regular seeds.
He used a male coming from S1 seeds that didn't produce regular seeds.
I ordered the seeds from Cannabiogen directly but I have to check my old grow logs to know when it was exactly, I can't say what batch of seeds I had.
The fact he used a "male" coming from S1 plants is what is causing the ambiguity about regular or feminized seeds, the first batch was made as regular seeds are done, i.e with a "male" but this male was a XX plant if coming from feminized seeds that's why I think you can't call them regular seeds and they certainly didn't behave as regular seeds for the vast majority of growers. I had 10 females from the 10 seeds I've grown, it's a ratio I never had with any other seeds except recently with Cherry Gorilla F2, from 5 seeds I had 4 females and one didn't make it. It would have been nice to send the "male" he used for a DNA analysis to see what really comes out of a plant behaving like a male from feminized seeds. Logically it should be XX so the seeds he produced were feminized as well.

My posts were referring to the 2nd release. It is not that complicated. When A MALE PLANT IS USED THEY ARE REG SEEDS!!. I can't add any more info. People can read and make up their minds. My opinion will not change

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to ask you which pheno of Querkle you used i've got a test tent for my current batch of males, and I have 3 Querkle I can select from.

Ranging from fast onset (green) grape soda to slower more squat (purple) grape taffy pepper funk and one in the middle.

View attachment 19042831

My querkle seeds are 16 years old. I dont remeber that far back. I still have a lot of those original Querkle seeds

kro-magnon

Veteran
Why did you edit your post in the old PP thread ?
A male plant coming from S1 has still the genetics from the plants who produced it, female. It produced more than 90% females in the progeny except for a few person apparently,this is really strange.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why did you edit your post in the old PP thread ?

If you read the thread from the beginning all were reg seeds. In my later posts, I used fem seeds but forgot to add the 2nd, and on releases were fem versions. That thread is in the ACE forum which were the later released seeds. I don't need to help confuse people reading those threads. This isn't hard to grasp. The man who sold the 1st limited seeds said they were reg seeds. Anyway, I think I've said all I can. I'll leave the rest to you.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Agree to disagree on this one Kaiki said multiple times on different threads the first batch was done by a friend with plants coming from Bubba Kush S1, a freaky pheno and a "male".

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got my PP seeds 2010. Yes, wesos made the seeds. Kaki sold the seeds.
Fem x Male=REG SEEDS LOL. Seeds made after were sold as S1 seeds. @JetLife175 posted he got 80% males. That would be impossible with S1 seeds.

kro-magnon

Veteran
A male coming from S1 as it is described multiple times is not a male genetically. It can't transform itself in XY having been bred by two XX. And the seeds were sold as regular because the "males" occurence problem, you won't find a pack of PP written FEM

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1st off I don't believe in males from a fem line or S1. Were harry potter when you need him lol. The odds it was from male contamination are far greater than finding a male in a female line. Let's just get back to you disagreeing and move on. There are already 4 pages of nonsense.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Last year I've grown a pack of Rocky Melon and other fem seeds, only fem seeds yet one of the plants showed male flowers and only male flowers. I culled it 8/10 days after the first pre-flowers appear and there was only male flowers;
It could be some type of super hermi getting out to ensure propagation as it is the only goal of a plant to make seeds. A super hermi disguised as a male.

Last edited:

Nspecta

Veteran
I don't know if the PP was a pure Bubba Kush S1, I know it was described as one but the metallic smell and narrow leaves some plant had were pretty out of place for a straight BK S1. Maybe it was a Bubba hybrid with something else bringing the weird traits. I'd like to see a grow of CSI Humboldt Bubba K S1 to compare with the 10 Peyote Purple females I've grown, if there is some pheno with narrow leaves and metallic smell.
If memory serves...as this was almost 20 years ago...Wesos bred PP for 2 or 3 generations before passing it to Charlie Garcia...Peyote Purple started with a Bubba Kush S1 male (most likely from pollen contamination) from a pack of Orgn Kid Bubba Kush S1's seeds....that male was crossed to the Katsu Bubba Kush clone...and then those seeds were crossed to the original Bubba Kush clone that I sent Wesos. I'm not sure if he bred it another generation before giving it to Cannabiogen.

kro-magnon

Veteran
If memory serves...as this was almost 20 years ago...Wesos bred PP for 2 or 3 generations before passing it to Charlie Garcia...Peyote Purple started with a Bubba Kush S1 male (most likely from pollen contamination) from a pack of Orgn Kid Bubba Kush S1's seeds....that male was crossed to the Katsu Bubba Kush clone...and then those seeds were crossed to the original Bubba Kush clone that I sent Wesos. I'm not sure if he bred it another generation before giving it to Cannabiogen.
That's not really how the creation of PP was explained by Charlie, from his posts 2 plants came out of the BK S1, one male and one female who were used to make the first gen of PP. The questions remaining are was the male from really from S1 or contamination and same for the female, was she from the S1 or anther pollen donor. Both cases are possible.
With the high % of females coming from those PP the chances the male was a real male are pretty slim, the experience Jetlife175 had with his PP seeds giving him 80% males is the first of its kind I've seen in all the years PP existed, there is many options possible, it could have been a PP cross with another reg line sold as pure PP because the demand was too high for their prod possibilities.

Last edited:

red eye joe

We don't know yet..just a bunch of hints zeroing in as finite as possible, but we don't have the answer

Yes we do. Long term growers and breeders know that ALL cannabis plants contain the genetics to become either male or female. If there even is an actual Y chromosome (I don't know; don't have a lab to study this) it is NOT required for a plant to become male. The plants determine what sex they will become while still in early veg. So to get more males, stress the plants in their early life. Heat and light stress works fine.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Yes we do. Long term growers and breeders know that ALL cannabis plants contain the genetics to become either male or female. If there even is an actual Y chromosome (I don't know; don't have a lab to study this) it is NOT required for a plant to become male. The plants determine what sex they will become while still in early veg. So to get more males, stress the plants in their early life. Heat and light stress works fine.
Stressing your plants will make them herm not real male or female. The sexual plasticity of cannabis is an extremely complex subject you can't summarize as simply as you do here. Many think the sex is determined way before germination other think it's only determined after germination and depending on the environment; so far there is no definitive answer to the question , that's where our knowledge stop and assumptions begin.
The Y chromosome is not needed for plants to create pollen but it doesn't make them "male" because they drop pollen, we have a nomemclature for this type of plant, hermaphrodite.