What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What music are you listening to?

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
If cops get involved, it's as often as not to ticket the tourists for harassing the game, assuming the tourists have already been warned. Not that there aren't typically signs in the Nat'l Parks telling people to keep their distance and to not feed or harass the wildlife.
I get that, don't venture into another guys backyard, super especially when they weigh 2000lbs

moose eater

Don't know how you guys do it up the Moose Eater..I grew up in the woods tracking, ect. But I'm not fucking around with no Grizzlies, that's where I draw the line.
So much respect to you guys
I haven't hunted -any- species of bear, on purpose, since July 1987.

Keep a clean camp, and don't eat in your tent... ever. Keep grub isolated away from your tent, or even away from the perimeter of your camp, and preferably where critters can't get to it.

When I worked on a Canadian fire crew the summer of 1978 near Atlin, B.C., near the Yukon Territory border, out off a sizable river system there, there was a crew that had a lot of 'urbanians' on it. Canadian fire crew then fed you really well, -REALLY WELL-, but paid for shit.

This one crew would take canned smoked oysters and clams and kippers into the woods, and during the workday when they took their lunch break(s), they'd leave a mess of oily cans dripping with fish oil in their aera they'd had lunch in.

There was an old silver tip grizzly out there, and the critters in general were in a panic, as that fire was burning in 'fingers' (meaning extensions where it ran out in lines from the central aera of the blazes). So the critters would panic at the fire (it was huge and hot) and they'd run/relocate, only to encounter more fire, thus likely leaving them panicked and confused.

Eventually the older large silvertip treed most of a crew one day. That story in itself was/is quite comical, as the chopper pilot flying in to pick them up thought all the orange hardhats in the trees were a gag and someone was playing a joke on him.

Later on, someone hung a handmade wooden sign in camp that read, "Anyone caught leaving food items in the bush will be sent deep into bear country with a club." Or something to that effect. It was pretty funny at the time.

Last edited:

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
I haven't hunted -any- species of bear, on purpose, since July 1987.

Keep a clean camp, and don't eat in your tent... ever. Keep grub isolated and preferably where critters can't get to it.

When I worked on a Canadian fire crew the summer of 1978 near Atlin, B.C., near the Yukon Territory border, out off a sizable river system there, there was a crew that had a lot of 'urbanians' on it. Canadian crew then fed you really well, -REALLY WELL-, but paid for shit.

This one crew would take canned smoked oysters and clams and kippers into the woods, and during the workday when they took their lunch break(s), they'd leave a mess of oily cans dripping with fish oil in their aera they'd had lunch in.

There was an old silver tip grizzly out there, and the critters in general were in a panic, as that fire was burning in 'fingers' (meaning extensions where it ran out in lines from the central aera of the blazes). So the critters would panic at the fire (it was huge and hot) and they'd run/relocate, only to encounter more fire, thus likely leaving them panicked and confused.

Eventually the older large silvertip treed most of a crew one day. That story in itself was/is quite comical, as the chopper pilot flying in to pick them up thought all the orange hardhats in the trees were a gag and someone was playing a joke on him.

Later on, someone hung a handmade wooden sign in camp that read, "Anyone caught leaving food items in the bush will be sent deep into bear country with a club." Or something to that effect. It was pretty funny at the time.
I can imagine a crew of loggers perched up trees, assholes so tight they couldn't fart even it made em explode

moose eater

I can imagine a crew of loggers perched up trees, assholes so tight they couldn't fart even it made em explode
The first guy to get treed that day with that crew was already nearing his "I'm quitting" point, turned around and saw the grizzly clawing at the moss and snorting, head down, and the guy tried to climb a tree, and his blue jeans cuff of his leg got hung up on a knot. He ripped the pants trying to get the thing unstuck, then finally got higher.

Very few (chopper pilots only) on that fire had rifles, and they initially brought in helicopters and chainsaws to make sufficient noise to scare the bear away. Too much noise in my opinion. The bear couldn't figure out which way to exit with that much noise.

They eventually convinced the bear to skedaddle for a bit.

The first treed guy came down and immediately got stung in the ass by a yellow jacket, He quit there and then.

Somewhere in there, earlier, the aforementioned chopper pilot that was first there before others knew of the bear issue, had landed on the cross-hatching of trees that had been dropped for a makeshift helipad, and one of the crew dove into the back seat of his bird, with the pilot looking like, "WTF?!" That was when he shared that he'd thought the orange hardhats in the trees were a joke. No joke for the guy who dove into the back seat.

Those were truly memorable and good times. -Good- grub any time of day or night, shit pay, but the clock started as soon as everyone was assembled in their crew area, even if fogged in, and mostly pretty decent people.

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
The first guy to get treed that day with that crew was already nearing his "I'm quitting" point, turned around and saw the grizzly clawing at the moss and snorting, head down, and the guy tried to climb a tree, and his blue jeans cuff of his leg got hung up on a knot. He ripped the pants trying to get the thing unstuck, then finally got higher.

Very few (chopper pilots only) on that fire had rifles, and they initially brought in helicopters and chainsaws to make sufficient noise to scare the bear away. Too much noise in my opinion. The bear couldn't figure out which way to exit with that much noise.

They eventually convinced the bear to skedaddle for a bit.

The first treed guy came down and immediately got stung in the ass by a yellow jacket, He quit there and then.

Somewhere in there, earlier, the aforementioned chopper pilot that was first there before others knew of the bear issue, had landed on the cross-hatching of trees that had been dropped for a makeshift helipad, and one of the crew dove into the back seat of his bird, with the pilot looking like, "WTF?!" That was when he shared that he'd thought the orange hardhats in the trees were a joke. No joke for the guy who dove into the back seat.

Those were truly memorable and good times. -Good- grub any time of day or night, shit pay, but the clock started as soon as everyone was assembled in their crew area, even if fogged in, and mostly pretty decent people.

I got one question, when Holmes quit, did he smash his helmet on the floor?

moose eater

I got one question, when Holmes quit, did he smash his helmet on the floor?
I wasn't there to see it first-hand. Just heard he was pretty thoroughly disgusted when he came down from the tree. I want to say he was a First Nations fellow, but I can't swear to that anymore, as my memory is 'graying' a bit these days.

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
I wasn't there to see it first-hand. Just heard he was pretty thoroughly disgusted when he came down from the tree. I want to say he was a First Nations fellow, but I can't swear to that anymore, as my memory is 'graying' a bit these days.
What does a first nations fellow, uh, mean exactly? For those of us forgot to read books

Latest posts

Latest posts