What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

(I never comprehended the name til now, and I thought elk and moose were the same beast, they're different?
In Norway, elg is very similar to our moose, but a bit smaller.

I used to hitchhike with a Norwegian elkhound I bought when I got released from a juvenile facility in Pennsylvania in 1973 or so. In Norway they were moose hounds that dated back to the Viking days and were used to hunt moose in packs. A lot of history behind them if you look into it.

Edit: 'elghund'

moose eater

Somewhere in the middle 70" range (antlers), picture taken from the open door of a low-flying Super Cub by a former friend of mine in the bush, in a friend's (of his) Super Cub.

This is a trophy bull moose by -any- standards.

Aerial Moose Big Boy 04.jpg

Last edited:

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
In Norway, elg is very similar to our moose, but a bit smaller.

I used to hitchhike with a Norwegian elkhound I bought when I got released from a juvenile facility in Pennsylvania in 1973 or so. In Norway they were moose hounds that dated back to the Viking days and were used to hunt moose in packs. A lot of history behind them if you look into it.

Edit: 'elghund'
I'm alright with Elghunds, prefer em over humans

whiteberrieS

WWJDFAKB
Veteran
I could eat it. I could eat a bear. I could eat a shoebill. I'll be damned if any of em like within my zone of solitude. Never actually had one but when I do, anything that intrudes on my acre is now food

moose eater

We have herds of elk up here, some domesticated for domestic meat or 'private ranch hunting'.

There are herds in the Yukon Territory of Canada that run in the wild, out near the Takhini River, and herds on Islands near Kodiak Island in Alaska, such as Raspberry Island. People put in applications for drawing hunts for the 'wild' herds.

The pic below isn't mine but is representative of Alaska elk.

1723607804498.png