What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

shithawk420

Veteran
oh man! this conversation made my day! you too pops! for some reason i was reminded of this kid i saw on tv.i think it was in Arizona or something. this 12 year old kid caught an armidillo with his bare hands and then they cooked it and put the meat right back in its shell and served it up. it was fucking wild to see. kinda looked like pulled pork! lol

moose eater

oh man! this conversation made my day! you too pops! for some reason i was reminded of this kid i saw on tv.i think it was in Arizona or something. this 12 year old kid caught an armidillo with his bare hands and then they cooked it and put the meat right back in its shell and served it up. it was fucking wild to see. kinda looked like pulled pork! lol
In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we'd harvest snapping turtles, big ones, and hang them by their tails to bleed out, which could take the better part of a day, then cook them until the shell separated. There's around 9 different textures and shades of meat in a snapping turtle. Norma would make planters and other things out of their shells, which look a bit like abalone shell when they're cleaned and polished a bit.

shithawk420

Veteran
In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we'd harvest snapping turtles, big ones, and hang them by their tails to bleed out, which could take the better part of a day, then cook them until the shell separated. There's around 9 different textures and shades of meat in a snapping turtle. Norma would make planters and other things out of their shells, which look a bit like abalone shell when they're cleaned and polished a bit.
yeah im not big on turtle. i remember one time fishing i caught an Ancient Snapper. this fucker had to be close to 70 years old and weighed 50 pounds at least. cuaght him right in the cheek. i was a young dumb drunk kid. he could of bit my finger off but i swear if i didnt know any better it knew i was trying to help him.i couldnt get the damn hook out though.i still feel bad i couldnt help him. i had to let him go with the hook in his mouth.never seen a bigger snapper before or since. man was i stupid and lucky

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
yeah im not big on turtle. i remember one time fishing i caught an Ancient Snapper. this fucker had to be close to 70 years old and weighed 50 pounds at least. cuaght him right in the cheek. i was a young dumb drunk kid. he could of bit my finger off but i swear if i didnt know any better it knew i was trying to help him.i couldnt get the damn hook out though.i still feel bad i couldnt help him. i had to let him go with the hook in his mouth.never seen a bigger snapper before or since. man was i stupid and lucky
i have never had turtle meat but i have seen jewelry made from their shells
those snapping turtles are no joke and can get pretty big man and easily take off your finger or toe
so what does it taste like?

moose eater

First one I harvested, I was driving Jojo's pickup truck home to the cabin from Graham's wood mill in Big Bay with a load of our freshly milled lumber, and it was crawling across the one-lane, 2-track sandy road that went to the cabin and beyond. I pulled over and got the .22 rifle from behind the seat of the truck and put a round though her head. She kept snapping at me when I'd try to grab her, so I put another round through her head. Little left of her snout, and she was still being aggressive (as I would be also, I guess, were it me in her shoes/feet), so I picked her up by her tail and put her in the truck on the passenger side floorboards and went home with her.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
First one I harvested, I was driving Jojo's pickup truck home to the cabin from Graham's wood mill in Big Bay with a load of our freshly milled lumber, and it was crawling across the one-lane, 2-track sandy road that went to the cabin and beyond. I pulled over and got the .22 rifle from behind the seat of the truck and put a round though his head. She kept snapping at me when I'd try to grab her, so I put another round through her head. Little left of her snout, and she was still being aggressive (as I would be also, I guess, were it me in her shoes/feet), so I picked her up by her tail and put her in the truck on the passenger side floorboards and went home with her.
turtles are bad ass m'f.rs

shithawk420

Veteran
yeah i heard of people putting .22s in turtles. god damn thats a tough turtle moose.eh im not a killer.went squirrel hunting as a kid. i dont wanna kill dumb squirells.humans now piques my interest. that would be fun. bet humans taste like shit though. you know what they say.humans taste like pork. if humans taste like pork belly i might just get in line! just kidding. or am i? nah im kidding

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
armadillos were called "Hoover hogs" (after Herbert Hoover) during the Great Depression. LOTS of folks ate them. gotta be careful handling/eating them though. they, along with humans, can carry the leprosy virus...:eek:

moose eater

yeah i heard of people putting .22s in turtles. god damn thats a tough turtle moose.eh im not a killer.went squirrel hunting as a kid. i dont wanna kill dumb squirells.humans now piques my interest. that would be fun. bet humans taste like shit though. you know what they say.humans taste like pork. if humans taste like pork belly i might just get in line! just kidding. or am i? nah im kidding
My common reference to pesky people is, and has been for years, "Humans; can't eat 'em, can't live with 'em."

But imagine the shit humans eat. I doubt very much they'd be tasty.

As far as our red squirrels go, they're 'edible', more or less, and you'd need several for a modest meal, though I haven't eaten one in decades. But more than that, they're outrageous insulation thieves and destroyers of construction. Kill all of them you wish. One summer my younger son and I killed close to 60 of the bastages here on our property. Tossed the carcasses over the drop to the south of the house, on the hill down toward our lower property, into the spruce trees. The ravens thought I was Santa Claus that year. They loved me. :)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
RE red squirrels...we've got them here, but in very limited numbers restricted to higher elevations/conifer forests. there is NO hunting of them allowed, i don't think, and the little bastards act like it too. they'll bark & raise hell as long as you are visible if they spot you...:mad:

CharlesU Farley

RE red squirrels...we've got them here, but in very limited numbers restricted to higher elevations/conifer forests. there is NO hunting of them allowed, i don't think, and the little bastards act like it too. they'll bark & raise hell as long as you are visible if they spot you...:mad:
In the area I live, there is a city that is known for having a _white_ squirrels. They are not albino, they are offspring of a white squirrel that a carnival worker displayed that escaped. They're pretty well tame now so they are major tourist attraction.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
had a true albino gray squirrel that used to live in my parents neighborhood. pink nose, eyes etc. he'd come right up on our porch and decimate the sunflower seed we put out for the birds...
In the area I live, there is a city that is known for having a _white_ squirrels. They are not albino, they are offspring of a white squirrel that a carnival worker displayed that escaped. They're pretty well tame now so they are major tourist attraction.

moose eater

had a true albino gray squirrel that used to live in my parents neighborhood. pink nose, eyes etc. he'd come right up on our porch and decimate the sunflower seed we put out for the birds...
The buggers, the red squirrels, steal our black oily sunflower seeds from the feeders we leave out for the birds, hanging next to the 7' tall moose fence around the garden. Makes a perfect 'bait station'.

Most of the red squirrels I dispatch are shot from that area of the top of the 7' garden railing, from our top floor deck off the master bedroom. Many a time when I've seen a squirrel out there, I've still been in my undies, I've grabbed the antique 1935 Remington Model 33 from the gun cabinet in the bedroom and slunk out there in my skibbies and wool socks to put another insulation thief down.

"....smells like.. victory..."

CharlesU Farley

The buggers, the red squirrels, steal our black oily sunflower seeds from the feeders we leave out for the birds, hanging next to the 7' tall moose fence around the garden. Makes a perfect 'bait station'.

Most of the red squirrels I dispatch are shot from that area of the top of the 7' garden railing, from our top floor deck off the master bedroom. Many a time when I've seen a squirrel out there, I've still been in my undies, I've grabbed the antique 1935 Remington Model 33 from the gun cabinet in the bedroom and slunk out there in my skibbies and wool socks to put another insulation thief down.

:ROFLMAO: Completely understand that!

We can't leave anything out for the birds because of this, taken a couple of weeks ago:

When we did leave out seeds and stuff for the birds, we got to where we started naming them. The Cardinals, of course were Lou and Mrs Lou for the Louisville Cardinals, we had mourning doves Phil and Mike (from the HBO series many years ago) in addition to Secret Squirrel, Roger Rabbit, Rocky Raccoon, Sammy the Snake and many others I can't remember right now. ;)

What a simple life we live after retirement!!!! Our kids were probably say _pathetic_ but what the fuck, we don't care.:p

Last edited:

moose eater

:ROFLMAO: Completely understand that!

We can't leave anything out for the birds because of this, taken a couple of weeks ago:

When we did leave out seeds and stuff for the birds, we got to where we started naming them. The Cardinals, of course were Lou and Mrs Lou for the Louisville Cardinals, we had mourning doves Phil and Mike (from the HBO series many years ago) in addition to Secret Squirrel, Roger Rabbit, Rocky Raccoon, Sammy the Snake and many others I can't remember right now. ;)

What a simple life we live after retirement!!!! Our kids were probably say _pathetic_ but what the fuck, we don't care.:p

We get a variety of birds here, some very beautiful, and the reason they get a pass is that they eat some of the less-than-helpful bugs and ants from the garden, including mosquitoes. They're like poorly paid mercenaries.

A former friend in the bush is good with birds, identifying species, having some of them (especially gray jays/whisky jacks) land on his hand and eat from his fingers, etc., and has had names for some of the birds at times. Maybe the magpies, too.

Last edited: