What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

moose eater

I recently saw a documentary about trawler fishing and the by-catch, shameful how it is wasted and then the piracy fishers with their radar shut off. There's a lot more of that going on now than ever.
It's too bad for the salmon now that many dams are being demolished so they can get back home but now the waters are too warm so they're going further north? Crazy stuff.
I pay $14 / pound for sockeye, usually they are 1.5 lb. fillet.

edit; sometimes they have coho, how is that compared to the sockeye?
I managed to miss your last question.

Wild-caught coho, like other salmon, the oil content depends on the river it's taken from and how far that particular fish is traveling. The further the journey up a river the more fat/oil they carry with them for the trip. Ma Nature's pretty amazing in that regard.

Hatchery fish (coho) from Valdez, for example, are only going back to the hatchery, with no long trip upstream to spawn, so far less oil in them. That hatchery, which is right at the salt water, and next door to the infamous oil terminal, produces some huge silvers much of the time, but again, the oil is more limited. I've smoked some of them when we lived down there, and they're not bad, but they're not my preferred salmon at all.

I also find the Valdez hatchery silvers/coho to be 'grainy', too.

Their somewhat larger size I attribute, hypothetically, to human tendency to be drawn to larger or more unique items in their view. If a person squeezing sperm from the harvested hatchery silvers (yes, that's a job, or used to be, maybe still is) sees an abnormally large fish in a mass pile of fish, I think they're prone to grabbing that one first. Same-same for females.

Thus, over time, it stands to reason that one might encounter larger hatchery-produced fish as a matter of unintended 'breeding' that involves high-grading of larger fish, simply because of the eyes being drawn to such phenomenon. At least that's been my conclusion for a number of years now.

-----------------------------
After I start a load of laundry I'm headed out to light the charcoal grill (I'm a stickler for actual charcoal here), and grill a 3-day marinated boneless chuck roast done the way my mother used to do them many years ago; a homemade French dressing, lots of flipping over and over in the marinade over a course of several days, with stabbing the roast with knives and a meat fork at each flipping in the sauce, to let the marinade soak in better, then slower grilling with lots of turning to try and minimize the charring from becoming too heavy.

Comes out like a sweet kabob meat, but with a large-ish roast to work with over the next couple days.

Last edited:

right

Opa!!
20240910_132544.jpg

shithawk420

Veteran
Damn that meats still alive, hahaa, my ol man liked it that way. Good cooking @shithawk420
well as a general rule of thumb ribeye shouldnt go past medium rare. definitely not past medium.some chefs are very particular about that. id say it was just right. not too rare at all. but to each his own.i dont wanna chew on an old leather boot. hope you liked the pics sir! wish you could taste it. its supposed to be prime. could pull it apart with my fingers easily

right

well as a general rule of thumb ribeye shouldnt go past medium rare. definitely not past medium.some chefs are very particular about that. id say it was just right. not too rare at all. but to each his own.i dont wanna chew on an old leather boot. hope you liked the pics sir! wish you could taste it. its supposed to be prime. could pull it apart with my fingers easily
Damn man you know just how to cook it.

moose eater

Freshly dug, minimally microwaved, quickly cooled in COLD water to arrest the starch transitioning when they're hot out of the microwave, and fried in piping hot uncured bacon grease and avocado oil in a cast iron skillet, French Fingerling and German Butterball potatoes from the garden, browned crispy, but tender and nice on the inside, with coarse black pepper, table salt, and Tapatio Sauce.

Pulled the last of the second batch of traditional style salmon strips from the smokehouse this morning, and my daughter stopped by on her way to prep for moose hunting and dropped off some cottonwood from down in South Central Alaska for the next couple batches of fish in the smoker; one sizable batch of traditional style salmon strips and 1 very modest size batch of conventional white man-style fillets along with a BUNCH of sockeye bellies done in the same conventional brine as the fillets.

Though after eating a couple of the traditional style strips this morning, my daughter told me she still has about 40-lbs of sockeye fillets at her house, and asked if I would turn those into strips for her. I told her that if we can connect to get them here before I lose the necessary weather, then I can do that.

moose eater

Some nice meaty beef sausages in natural sheep casing, made with white Mexican cheese and black chilis. First one on a keto hotdog bun, with ketchup and Tapatio sauce, and the second one plain, so I could just taste the sausage. Along with 2 smaller ears of really nice multi-colored peaches and cream style of sweet corn, some snow peas (raw) picked from the garden when I was walking the dogs, and maybe a small bite of large curd cottage cheese. A pretty substantial lunch, really.

Last edited:

right

Some nice meaty beef sausages in natural sheep casing, made with white Mexican cheese and black chilis. Fiorst one on a keto hotdog bun, with ketchup and Tapatio sauce, and the second one plain, so I could just taste the sausage. Along with 2 smaller ears of really nice multi-colored peaches and cream style of sweet corn, some snow peas (raw) picked from the garden when I was walking the dogs, and maybe a small bite of large curd cottage cheese. A pretty substantial lunch, really.
That sounds great. When I used to butcher sheep and goats I would clean the intestines with a funnel and water .May I ask what is a black pepper?

Latest posts

Latest posts