What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

CharlesU Farley

i fucking hate eggs and only use them for cooking. i dont know how you guys can eat eggs.scrambled, fried whatever i cant stand them.i wont even eat fried rice
I'm that way with sliced tomatoes. I absolutely love everything related to tomato _sauce_, use tomato paste all the time, and can make some of the best chili and Italian meat sauce (not fucking gravy like they called it on The Sopranos :rolleyes:) but I can barely _look_ at a sliced tomato. I'm almost 70 years old now and I _still_ can't put one of those slimy, seeded pieces of shit in my mouth. :eek:

But let me crush up some some Roma tomatoes, saute in some olive oil, add some paste, sausage and ground beef, a bunch of onions, garlic, oregano/basil, and a bunch of beef stock and I can eat that shit cold, in the morning, for breakfast. ;)

If I tried to put a slice tomato in my mouth, in the morning or any other time for that matter, and I'm pretty sure I would gag and/or probably puke.

:puke:

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm that way with sliced tomatoes. I absolutely love everything related to tomato _sauce_, use tomato paste all the time, and can make some of the best chili and Italian meat sauce (not fucking gravy like they called it on The Sopranos :rolleyes:) but I can barely _look_ at a sliced tomato. I'm almost 70 years old now and I _still_ can't put one of those slimy, seeded pieces of shit in my mouth. :eek:

But let me crush up some some Roma tomatoes, saute in some olive oil, add some paste, sausage and ground beef, a bunch of onions, garlic, oregano/basil, and a bunch of beef stock and I can eat that shit cold, in the morning, for breakfast. ;)

If I tried to put a slice tomato in my mouth, in the morning or any other time for that matter, and I'm pretty sure I would gag and/or probably puke.

:puke:
i love tomatoes.i could have a blt without the bacon. but yeah old tomatoes are gross. oh yeah and your right its not gravy its called Ragu. im learning more italian lately.gonna make pasta soon i think soon

moose eater

Early (currently) half-dried smoked traditional-style salmon strips.

Dogs are getting the skins after they're cut into shorter bits (the strip skins, not the dogs).

My wife better hurry home. Yes, there was close to 30-lbs wet weight before hanging and drying last night... but STRIPS!! OH, MAAAAANNN!!!

Last edited:

moose eater

An organic Scarlet Nantes carrot from the garden with incredible flavor and crispness, and a store-bought ear or 2 of a peaches-and-cream type of variety of sweet corn in butter and salt.

And some television with the pups.

I've boxed myself into a corner, food-wise. I've got a package of hamburger thawed to make burrito filling with organic refried beans, sweet onions, jalapenos, and sweet peppers, as well as a boneless beef chuck to marinade in a homemade French dressing sort of affair, to grill over charcoal in a day or 2, and some chicken gizzards that I probably ought to just freeze. And 3 decent size choice ribeye steaks that ought to get wrapped in freezer paper and frozen as well.

"When it rains it pours!"

But first, that television with the pups. And a black cherry hard seltzer.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

i was like that once. but, halfway through the best damn barbecue sandwich i had eaten at that time, i realized there was a VERY thin slice of ripe red tomato under the meat. and i can't imagine BLTs with no tomato in there... i'm CURED! :woohoo:
Some of us might say, you're _infected_. :)

Just can't get past those seeds and, most assuredly, the slime.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Tomatoes are my favourite fruit/vegetable - whatever it is. I eat them year round. In the winter, it is cherry tomatoes and those slightly bigger ones that still have a remnant of tomato taste.

Tonight: Small pork loin roast with Yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes and gravy, of course. I am just resting the roast - and my back - before I slice.

moose eater

Tomatoes are my favourite fruit/vegetable - whatever it is. I eat them year round. In the winter, it is cherry tomatoes and those slightly bigger ones that still have a remnant of tomato taste.

Tonight: Small pork loin roast with Yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes and gravy, of course. I am just resting the roast - and my back - before I slice.
The meal sounds delicious.

Hoping things are better for/with your wife, tbd. Apologies if this was an awkward place to mention that.

While I didn't see the merit of tomatoes as a youngster, other than on blt's or on cold cheese sandwiches with lettuce or alfalfa sprouts, mayo and cheddar, it was only a few short years before walking through the garden with a saltshaker and a napkin or paper towel became a form of ad hoc dinner, and freshly picked tomatoes with salt were AOK. Along with broccoli side-shoots, snow peas, radishes of all sorts, carrots, etc.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Hoping things are better for/with your wife, tbd. Apologies if this was an awkward place to mention that.
Not a problem. She was given an all-clear on her last scan. And she has finally gotten her appetite and she is eating more than I am. Of course @ 103 lbs, she could stand to gain a few. We joke that it is very rare in a woman’s life when she actually wants to gain weight . . . ;)

On the subject of tomato slime . . . of course, it is a very necessary part for many uses. However, if you are truly tomato slime adverse, you can throw it away and just use the tomato outer flesh. Chop it up and throw it in guacamole, in an omelet or pizza or a Greek style gyro etc etc etc

moose eater

Not a problem. She was given an all-clear on her last scan. And she has finally gotten her appetite and she is eating more than I am. Of course @ 103 lbs, she could stand to gain a few. We joke that it is very rare in a woman’s life when she actually wants to gain weight . . . ;)

On the subject of tomato slime . . . of course, it is a very necessary part for many uses. However, if you are truly tomato slime adverse, you can throw it away and just use the tomato outer flesh. Chop it up and throw it in guacamole, in an omelet or pizza or a Greek style gyro etc etc etc
That's 2 women I know of recently, one closer to me and more personally familiar, who've gotten really good news from their oncologists.

I'm truly happy -anytime- decent people kick that beast's ass. It's a heartbreaker and life-stealer, and not just for the patients. Every person who has sat next to someone they care about who is contending with it has been sucked partway down the tubes of anxiety and grief, tiredness, uncertainty, fear, and despair. It robs life long before it even finally takes it for way too many people.

Tell her that despite our not knowing each other well, I'm truly elated for her. I mean that.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I'm truly happy -anytime- decent people kick that beast's ass. It's a heartbreaker and life-stealer, and not just for the patients. Every person who has sat next to someone they care about who is contending with it has been sucked partway down the tubes of anxiety and grief, tiredness, uncertainty, fear, and despair. It robs life long before it even finally takes it for way too many people.

Thank you, moose. Over the last year, I have spent hours and hours in the 'cancer wing' of two different hospitals. There are a lot of brave people fighting back.

moose eater

Thank you, moose. Over the last year, I have spent hours and hours in the 'cancer wing' of two different hospitals. There are a lot of brave people fighting back.
I've met some of them, can describe brief moments of beauty and joy expressed by people that, from the outside and circumstances, had no real reason other than love, hopefulness, and life.

But I also know that for patients and loved ones, that sterile environment, as helpful and hopeful as it is in the outset, and sometimes a bit later on, even, eventually can become a reminder of the purpose and the ongoing battle that takes over life sometimes for so long that sometimes it feels like it's what life has been reduced to. An all-encompassing struggle from one appointment of unknown benefit, and onto the next.

I'll pour a glass of homemade wine and toast to her remaining cancer-free for the rest of her time.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
And on topic . . .

My spouse and I went on a date yesterday. She is recovering and I am drifting south with more stenosis . . . but we braved downtown Toronto. We went to the museum and we had dinner in the high ticket part of Toronto around Bay and Bloor.

Chicken tawook @ Amal.

photo_2024-09-04_20-15-59.jpg

This is a dish that is near and dear to my stomach. I first had it - called shish tawook - in a Lebanese resto in Montreal in the late 80s. It is simple: chicken brochette served with a garlic sauce and pita. Well, it took me 5 years and a lot of attempts to figure out the recipe. I finally nailed it and I have enjoyed it now for 25 years. So, when I saw this on the menu, I thought that I would try this high end version. Well, this was good - 7/10 - but mine is better. I'll make it sometime and share the recipe. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts