What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

Madjag

Veteran
from: The Terpenes of Cannabis, Their Aromas, and Effects

"It's not just about THC or CBD. Cannabis is a mix of many different compounds. Most of them fall into three categories: cannabinoids, terpenoids, and flavanoids. Each of these compounds can significantly modify the therapeutic benefits of the plant. There are hundreds of different chemical combinations each producing a different effect. Meschler and Howlett (1999) discussed several mechanisms by which terpenoids modulate THC activity. For instance, some terpenoids bind to cannabinoid receptors sequestering THC by perturbing annular lipids surrounding the receptor, or by increasing the fluidity of neuronal membranes, and increasing cell wall permeability. Other terpenoids alter the signal by remodeling G-proteins. And then there are terpenoids that alter the pharmacokinetics of THC itself. Terpenoids may also act on other receptors and neurotransmitters. Some terpenoids act as serotonin uptake inhibitors (as does Prozac), some enhance norepinephrine activity (as do tricyclic antidepressants), some increase dopamine activity (as do monoamine oxidase inhibitors and bupropion), and some augment GABA (as do baclofen and the benzodiazepines)."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ****** <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So perhaps most of the various "potency" effects from the many, many cannabis strains has more to do with the types and ratios of terpenoids present in a particular strain rather than the percent of cannabinoids like THC.

If some terps act like Prozac and inhibit serotonin uptake, you can be damned sure that the weed exhibiting this will be seen as "couchlock" and weed that has terps that enhance norepinephrine activity will be seen as "racy, cerebral, and high".

.........and all because of the terpenoids doing their thing in the cannabis chemistry mix

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
The older strains contain less terpenes the modern strains , amounts and type , i would assume much cleaner effects , its all relative , there is no baseline .... i know modern guys who dab get dizzy sick of some modern stuff as well ... id like to see somebody back in the 70's do dab like the kids do today LOL talk about barfing lol pops is 72 bowl member strongest weed he remembers was malawi chompa and thai's / south east asian strains

Madjag Rob said to say hello =)

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Malawi Gold

Tested: 03/29/2016
THC: 12.25 %
CBD: 0.03 %
CBN: 0 %

Terpenes

5.91mg/g α Pinene
3.98mg/g Myrcene
0.11mg/g α-Phellandrene
0.09mg/g 3-Carene
0.06mg/g α Terpinene
0.72mg/g Limonene
2.17mg/g Terpinolene
0.33mg/g Linalool
0.03mg/g Fenchol
0.05mg/g Borneol
0.09mg/g Terpineol
2.09mg/g α Humulene
4.42mg/g β Caryophyllene
0.36mg/g Caryophyllene Oxide
0.09mg/g α Bisabolol
0.08mg/g Camphene
1.72mg/g β Pinene
0.92mg/g Ocimene
0.01mg/g p-Cymene
0.22mg/g Phytol

http://sclabs.com/sample-detail.html?id=165473

Durban Poison

Tested: 02/13/2016
THC: 19.7 %
CBD: 0.05 %
CBN: 0.03 %

Terpenes

1.07mg/g α Pinene
2.84mg/g Myrcene
0.87mg/g α-Phellandrene
0.75mg/g 3-Carene
0.52mg/g α Terpinene
2.06mg/g Limonene
17.3mg/g Terpinolene
0.03mg/g Linalool
0.05mg/g Fenchol
0.00mg/g Borneol
0.43mg/g Terpineol
0.16mg/g Geraniol
0.19mg/g α Humulene
0.63mg/g β Caryophyllene
0.08mg/g Camphene
1.68mg/g β Pinene
2.48mg/g Ocimene
0.02mg/g Sabinene
0.01mg/g Nerolidol
0.01mg/g R-(+)-Pulegone
0.03mg/g (-)-Pulegone
0.24mg/g Phytol

Percentages
0.107% α Pinene
0.284% Myrcene
0.087% α-Phellandrene
0.075% 3-Carene
0.052% α Terpinene
0.206% Limonene
1.73% Terpinolene
0.003% Linalool
0.005% Fenchol
0.043% Terpineol
0.016% Geraniol
0.019% α Humulene
0.063% β Caryophyllene
0.008% Camphene
0.168% β Pinene
0.248% Ocimene
0.002% Sabinene
0.001% Nerolidol
0.001% R-(+)-Pulegone
0.003% (-)-Pulegone
0.024% Phytol

http://sclabs.com/sample-detail.html?id=158228

Keep on growing :)

Madjag

Veteran
Nice analysis from the Cruz Labs, thanks for sharing.

I've got some SOA Malawi Gold going now. It's always interesting to me to see an analysis that highlights one or two terps as being really high. Helps define the weed's character.

In your case its Caryophylene and Pinene:

β-Caryophyllene has a sweet, woody and dry clove odor and tastes pepper spicy with camphor and astringent citrus backgrounds. It is a major terpene found in black pepper, clove and cotton. It is found in smaller %'s in many other green, leafy vegetables, herbs, and spices. Caryophylene contributes to black pepper's spiciness. Caryophylene oil is also used industrially to enhance tobacco flavor.

Caryophylene, given in high amounts, is a calcium and potassium ion channel blocker. As a result, it impedes the pressure exerted by heart muscles. As a topical it is analgesic and is one of the active constituents that makes clove oil, a preferred treatment for toothache. It does not seem to be involved in mood change, however caryophylene shows great promise in a salve or lotion as a therapeutic compound for inflammatory conditions and autoimmune disorders because of its ability to bind directly to the peripheral cannabinoid receptor CB2.

and

α-Pinene is the familiar odor associated with pine trees and their resins. It is the major component in turpentine and is found in many other plant essential oils in noticeable amounts including rosemary, sage, eucalyptus and many others. Pinene is used medically as an expectorant, and topical antiseptic. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier where it acts as a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor; that is, it inhibits activity of a chemical that destroys an information transfer molecule. This results in better memory. Pinene also promotes alertness and memory retention. Largely due to the presence of pinene, rosemary and sage are both considered "memory plants." Concoctions made from their leaves have been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine to retain and restore memory. It is also a bronchodilator. A pharmacokinetics study of inhaled α-pinene in humans demonstrated 60% uptake, and a relative bronchodilation effect. The smoke seems to expand in your lungs and the high comes on very quickly since a high percentage of the substance will pass into the bloodstream and brain. It also increases focus, self satisfaction and energy, which generally counteracts with the presence of Terpineol. α-Pinene has inhibited acetylcholinesterase suggesting utility in the clinical treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.

β-Pinene has a woody-green pine-like smell. β-Pinene is one of the most abundant compounds released by forest trees. It is one of the two isomers of pinene (The other being α-Pinene) and it shares similar properties.

Madjag

Veteran
for your Durban Poison, these terps stand out:

β-Myrcene has an odor that is variously described as an aroma of hops, clove like, earthy, green vegetative, citrus, fruity with tropical, mango and minty nuances. The various odors are the result of slight differences in the overall makeup. All of these flavors and odors are commonly used to describe Cannabis.

β-Myrcene is the most prevalent terpene found in most varieties of marijuana but it is not found in hemp. It is present in significant concentrations in cannabis resin itself. It is also found in mango, hops, lemon grass, East Indian bay tree, and verbena. Because of its appealing fragrance, myrcene is used extensively in the perfume industry. Myrcene has antimicrobial, antiseptic, analgesic, antioxidant, anticarcinogen (It blocks the actions of cytochrome, aflatoxin B and other pro-mutagens that are implicated in carcinogenesis.) and anti-inflammatory properties. It has shown some promise when used as an antidepressant, or as an additive to other antidepressant drugs and is also used in massage therapy as a muscle relaxer.

Myrcene is a synergist of THC: A combination of the two molecules creates a stronger experience than THC alone. Myrcene affects the permeability of the cell membranes, thus it allows more THC to reach brain cells and increase the absorption of other terpenes. This terpene contributes strongly to the infamous “couch-lock” experience.

α-Ocimene has a medium strength, fruity, floral aroma with a wet cloth note. It is contributor to green odor of unripe mango and of mango ginger (Curcuma amada). It is used in oriental pickles.

β-Ocimene has a medium strength, tropical, green, terpy and woody odor with vegetable nuances. It is used as a flavoring agent where it has a green, tropical, woody flavor with floral and vegetable nuances. It is a flavor and fragrance additive as well as a common component in many essential oils.

β-cis-Ocimene has a medium strength, warm, floral, herbal, sweet, citrus-like aroma. It is a component of the chemical communication system of the tea weevil and cotton bollworm. It has shown some antioxidative properties.

β-trans-Ocimene has a mild, herbaceous, citrusy sweet, orange to lemon aroma. It is used in the chemical communication system of boxelders, a few beetles, and the Phytoseiulus Persimilis predatory mite.

and

Terpinolene has a medium strength, herbal aroma that has been described as fresh, woody, sweet and piney with a hint of citrus. Its flavor is a sweet, woody, terpy, lemon and lime-like with a slight herbal and floral nuance. It is used as a flavor and fragrance agent. Its use in fragrances in the USA alone exceeds 50,000 lb/yr. Terpinolene is used in soap, detergent, creams, lotions, and perfume.

Last edited:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The older strains contain less terpenes the modern strains , amounts and type , i would assume much cleaner effects , its all relative , there is no baseline ....

Maybe that's true for the average terpene amount but for type I think it's quite on the contrary. It just doesn't makes sense if you keep in mind that nowadays all the cultivars are just crosses, S1s and hybrids of the same few foundational genetics, thus they carry the same traits as the genetics never were refreshed with brand new genes containing brand new terpenes for example. Of course on the other hand, plants became more potent and pungent on average because modern cultivation techniques and selection methods.

But older heilrooms and landraces contain broader and untamed chemotype diversity while the commercial modern strains, most of the times only contain the same few terpenes. The top it's always Limonene, Myrcene, Caryophillene, Pinene, maybe some Humuleneand so on. The top 6 are ALWAYS the same, so why is that? It's also what leaded us to the lack of character and diversity of terpenes and effects among modern hybrids.

Just compare terpene fingerprints of most OG, Chem, Diesel, Bubba and so on, you'll just find out their graphics are briefly the same with slight variations of other terpene traces.

Peace.

P.S: Those Malawi and Durban profiles reflect the kind of plants I dig for smoking. That Durban so much Terpinolene and almost no Myrcene! I think I'm in love lol.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Wow, I thought this was the Vintage Cannabis photography thread, lol.
Dude you guys smoked brick weed back in the days most of them grown by native population of colombia in the jungle with 0 control... The buds were super leafy etc... I don't know for me the ones saying that are clearly marijuana fakers.
I would like to see somebody smoke dabs like they do today with material made from the Colombians that were around in the 70's, lol. Hell, most couldn't even finish a pinner of that stuff as Madjag mentioned.

Edit: Ha, Hrpuffinkush...we were thinking along the same lines. I posted after reading Madjag's post at the top of the page...came back and read the rest.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Durban would be one thing , Durban poison was made possible by Mel Frank its modern , I don't know if that's a good example of an old strain ? . , The Malawi is interesting

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
New " cultivars" crossed to each other will introduce each other's terpenes that may have not been found in one of the parents , after time here we are , massive amounts of terpenes across the board , sure there maybe a few exceptions , but much older strains contained much less across the board compared to most from today ,. Mel Frank's old growers guide book have cannabanoid profiles from pre 75 strains , all are very low I have some goverment tests of different Thai's from 76 highest was 9% I think ,. I'll try to find them ...... in no way am I trying to seem like some expert just sharing information I've came across ..... complete terpenes profiles are a poor man's DNA test , the don't lie and you can see the relashomships between siblings and parents, just like anything in evolution the DNA becomes more complex over time

H

hard rain

I've been using seed banks for the past nearly 20 years and have grown some great pot and some ok pot. Used companies from Holland, Spain and USA. I've researched what I have bought. I've found some really good quality but nothing like I could get when I first started smoking.

Then after all that I find my holy grail in the middle of a jungle town in third world country. So you can quote all sorts of measurements of terpenes and thc contents. What I smoke for is effect and that stuff effected me better than anything I've tried from a modern seed bank. Euphoric, happy ,high, and relaxed.

Madjag

Veteran
You are actually correct according to my friend, Robert Clarke.

picture.php

picture.php