What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

Manivelle

Veteran
Egyptian_Type_e_Scenes._-_%22Hashishe_Smokers%22_%28n.d.%29_-_front_-_TIMEA.jpg

window

Veteran
Back in the 70s when the first halides came out, most growers seed stock was of narrow leaf origin, some grew them indoors, just like they would outside.
No direct to 12/12 here or root restriction to help control stretch:biggrin:
picture.php

nattyroots

Possibly the coolest thread I've read here. Thank you so much for all the amazing scans.

So much variety! I wonder what will come with growing legalization.

Whether strains will get more homogeneous and commercial or whether we'll see a greater variety of many of these long-flowering strains becoming available again.

I hope the latter.

Keep it going,

cheers

nattyroots

another thought.....

is the fact that some pot was so difficult to get a hold off back in the day affect the subjetive effects it had? the rarer and more difficult, the higher you might get (subjectively, of course). It would explain a lot of the accounts of "shit being so much better back then" although I'm sure not being able to smoke pure sativa landraces these days accounts for the other part of that often heard phrase. It's funny to read how 'indica's or indica hybrids were seen as contaminating the sativa gene pool when they first arrived in the market.

a friend the other day mentioned that after legalization, he didn't find getting high as fun as before. if you extend that logic, i wonder whether legalization will affect on how we experience marijuana.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Possibly the coolest thread I've read here. Thank you so much for all the amazing scans.

So much variety! I wonder what will come with growing legalization.

Whether strains will get more homogeneous and commercial or whether we'll see a greater variety of many of these long-flowering strains becoming available again.

I hope the latter.

Keep it going,

cheers

I'm in Honduras and picked up three varieties. One gave me a flashback to the 70s.

2 apparently are Jamaican. While they look alike, dark brown, the smell is very different, but the high is the same. One is super smooth and the other hard on the throat. I suspect different cures.

The third is what the locals call Trash. I suspect a landrace because I'm on an island and they said "regular" weed won't grow here because of the salt air (but who knows). It's a tall sativa that is low yielding and air dried. They drop a seed on the ground, step on it, leave the males do their thing, and harvest when ready. It tastes a little green, but God damn, the high (not a stone at all) is incredible and crystal clear. It leaves me high as hell, happy, euphoric and focused at the same time.

I can't wait to pop those seeds and cure it properly! A Canadian xpat here told me I should be able to harvest beginning of November, so I'm going to put a couple in my yard. If we get a late frost, I might be able to pull it off. I'll try to get someone to do it indoors for me at the same time.

It's too bad no one could tell me about the history or genetics other than "we always grow it". The dude though I was nuts asking for Trash Seeds. Lol.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
I'm in Honduras and picked up three varieties. One gave me a flashback to the 70s.

2 apparently are Jamaican. While they look alike, dark brown, the smell is very different, but the high is the same. One is super smooth and the other hard on the throat. I suspect different cures.

The third is what the locals call Trash. I suspect a landrace because I'm on an island and they said "regular" weed won't grow here because of the salt air (but who knows). It's a tall sativa that is low yielding and air dried. They drop a seed on the ground, step on it, leave the males do their thing, and harvest when ready. It tastes a little green, but God damn, the high (not a stone at all) is incredible and crystal clear. It leaves me high as hell, happy, euphoric and focused at the same time.

I can't wait to pop those seeds and cure it properly! A Canadian xpat here told me I should be able to harvest beginning of November, so I'm going to put a couple in my yard. If we get a late frost, I might be able to pull it off. I'll try to get someone to do it indoors for me at the same time.

It's too bad no one could tell me about the history or genetics other than "we always grow it". The dude though I was nuts asking for Trash Seeds. Lol.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

It is strange they call trash to perhaps the better strain they have.

I see the same from Mexican young smokers who show on internet pics of the buds they get. They only pay atention to the more indica ones and they laugh and mock when they see buds of their traditional pure sativas.

TANO

🍒TANITO🍒
Veteran

Granny winning first prize for her marijuana plant at the California City County Fair back in 1973

9f8c8fa02cb1fb9bbafc455f2d8d1ebf.jpg

Wow, never knew advocates were trying to use indica as a "legal loophole" for growing weed! That's hilarious! :laughing:

This thread is the best. You can really pinpoint when weed quality started to become more modernized (mid-80s from the looks of it). Before that, it was all schwaggy looking stuff that apparently was amazing to hear from those who smoked it! I'd personally kill to try a landrace strain from back in the day even if it didn't have soaring THC levels. I'm not a fan of today's paranoia weed, honestly.

Would be so cool to sit down & sample all the different stuff from around the world, the Asian stuff, Island strains, African, Indian, Afghani, Mexican, S. American... I feel like I'm missing out by not ever getting to experience the differences between all of those most basic landraces, y'know? Don't think you can be a serious connoisseur if you haven't tried the basics.

therevverend

Veteran
Why do vintage pot plants and vintage pot in general always look like the scraggyist shittiest worst ganja I've ever seen? Didn't vintage growers take any pride in their plants?
The old lady won the county fair with a doinky little 3 foot tall hemp plant! Now you'd have to grow a ten pounder to come close to making the judge's table!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Why do vintage pot plants and vintage pot in general always look like the scraggyist shittiest worst ganja I've ever seen? Didn't vintage growers take any pride in their plants?
The old lady won the county fair with a doinky little 3 foot tall hemp plant! Now you'd have to grow a ten pounder to come close to making the judge's table!

Way before selective breeding and hybrids.

I remember buying weed with the trim still attached. I don't know *anyone who trimmed weed back then. Actually, I don't think I ever saw a whole bud in a bag before I was 20. Ya, I'm old as fuck.