What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gry

Veteran

Kevin Roberts, who heads the Heritage Foundation (largely responsible for Project 2025) just implicitly threatened Americans that if we don’t allow him and his hard-right movement to complete their transformation of America from a democratic republic into an authoritarian state, there will be blood in the streets.

“We’re in the process of taking this country back,” he told a TV audience, adding:
“The reason that they are apoplectic right now, the reason that so many anchors on MSNBC, for example, are losing their minds daily is because our side is winning. And so I come full circle on this response and just want to encourage you with some substance that we are in the process of the second American Revolution, which will remain bloodless if the left allows it to be.”
He’s not wrong. America has been changed as a result of a series of corrupt rulings by Republicans (exclusively; not one of these rulings has been joined by a Democratic appointee) which have changed America’s legal and political systems themselves.

As Roberts notes, this is really the largest issue we all face, and our mainstream media are totally failing to either recognize or clearly articulate how radically different our country is now, how far the Republicans on the Court have dragged us away from both our Founder’s vision and the norms and standards of a functioning, modern democratic republic.

First, in a series of decisions — the first written by that notorious corporatist Lewis Powell (of “Powell Memo” fame) — Republicans on the Court have functionally legalized bribery of politicians and judges by both the morbidly rich and massive corporations.

This started with Powell’s 1978 Bellotti opinion, which opened the door (already cracked a bit) to the idea that corporations are not only “persons” under the Constitution, but, more radically, are entitled to the human rights the Framers wrote into the Bill of Rights (the first ten amendments).

Using that rationale, Powell asserted that corporations, like rich people (from the Buckley decision that preceded Belotti by two years), are entitled to the First Amendment right of free speech. But he took it a radical step farther, ruling that because corporations don’t have mouths they can use to speak with, their use of money to spend supporting politicians or carpet-bombing advertising for a candidate or issue is free speech that can’t be tightly regulated.

Citizens United, another all-Republican decision with Clarence Thomas the deciding vote (after taking millions in bribes), expanded that doctrine for both corporations and rich people, creating new “dark money” systems that wealthy donors and companies can use to hide their involvement in their efforts to get the political/legal/legislative outcomes they seek.

Last week the Republicans on the Court took even that a huge step farther, declaring that when companies or wealthy people give money to politicians in exchange for contracts, legislation, or other favors, as long as the cash is paid out after the deed is done it’s not a bribe but a simple “gratuity.”

So, first off, they’ve overthrown over 240 years of American law and legalized bribery.

Last week they also gutted the ability of federal regulatory agencies to protect average people, voters, employees, and even the environment from corporations that seek to exploit, pollute, or even engage in wage theft. This shifted power across the economic spectrum from a government elected by we the people to the CEOs and boards of directors of some of America’s most predatory and poisonous companies.

Finally, in the Trump immunity case, the Court ruled that presidents are immune from prosecution under criminal law, regardless of the crimes they commit, so long as they assert those crimes are done as part of their “official” responsibilities. And who decides what’s “official”? The six Republicans on the Supreme Court.

These actions — corporate personhood, money as speech, ending the Chevron deference to regulatory agencies, and giving the president life-and-death powers that historically have only been held by kings, shahs, mullahs, dictators, and popes — have fundamentally altered the nature of our nation.

It’s almost impossible to overstate the significance of this, or its consequences. We no longer live in America 1.0; this is a new America, one more closely resembling the old Confederacy, where wealthy families and giant companies make the rules, enforce the rules, and punish those who irritate or try to obstruct them.

In America 2.0, there is no right to vote; governors and secretaries of state can take away your vote without even telling you (although they still must go to court to take away your gun).

They can destroy any politician they choose by simply pouring enough cash into the campaign system (including dark, untraceable cash).

The president can now go much farther than Bush’s torturing and imprisoning innocent people in Gitmo without legal process: he can now shoot a person on Fifth Avenue in plain sight of the world and simply call it a necessary part of his job. Or impoverish or imprison you or me with the thinnest of legal “official” rationales.

America 2.0 is not a democracy; it’s an oligarchy, as I wrote about in The Hidden History of American Oligarchy. The South has finally — nearly — won the Civil War.

While it will be months or more likely years before all of these new powers the Republicans on the Court have given the president, rich people, and corporations begin to dawn on most Americans, they will, step-by-step transform this country into something more closely resembling Hungary or Russia than the democracies of Europe and Southeast Asia.

The only remedy at this late stage in this 50+ yearlong campaign to remake America is a massive revolt this fall at the ballot box, turning Congress — by huge majorities — over to Democrats while holding the White House.

If we fail at this, while there will be scattered pockets of resistance for years, it’ll be nearly impossible to reverse the course that America’s rightwing billionaires have set us on.

There has never been a more critical time in the history of our nation outside of the last time rich oligarchs tried to overthrow our democracy, the Civil War. Like then, the stakes are nothing less than the survival of a nation of, by, and for we the people.

Pass it on.

The Hartmann Report is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work to rescue our republic, please consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
yes there was/still is.... but 10million???
In how many different countries did we install strong man regimes
to be puppets for the cartel system ?
When one reflects on what has been acknowledged to have happened
'down there', ten million is but a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
In how many different countries did we install strong man regimes
to be puppets for the cartel system ?
When one reflects on what has been acknowledged to have happened
'down there', ten million is but a drop in the bucket.
as long as they pitch their tent in your neighborhood ,i say keep em coming in...

Gry

Veteran
as long as they pitch their tent in your neighborhood ,i say keep em coming in...

The not in my neighborhood approach does not seem to be working real well here,
and I don't anticipate the recent court ruling criminalizing homelessness will improve
anything at all.
Perhaps if we could better control the shitfuckary that is done to them at home, they
might not feel such a need to flee in the first place.

Cannavore

Veteran

Kevin Roberts, who heads the Heritage Foundation (largely responsible for Project 2025) just implicitly threatened Americans that if we don’t allow him and his hard-right movement to complete their transformation of America from a democratic republic into an authoritarian state, there will be blood in the streets.

He’s not wrong. America has been changed as a result of a series of corrupt rulings by Republicans (exclusively; not one of these rulings has been joined by a Democratic appointee) which have changed America’s legal and political systems themselves.

As Roberts notes, this is really the largest issue we all face, and our mainstream media are totally failing to either recognize or clearly articulate how radically different our country is now, how far the Republicans on the Court have dragged us away from both our Founder’s vision and the norms and standards of a functioning, modern democratic republic.

First, in a series of decisions — the first written by that notorious corporatist Lewis Powell (of “Powell Memo” fame) — Republicans on the Court have functionally legalized bribery of politicians and judges by both the morbidly rich and massive corporations.

This started with Powell’s 1978 Bellotti opinion, which opened the door (already cracked a bit) to the idea that corporations are not only “persons” under the Constitution, but, more radically, are entitled to the human rights the Framers wrote into the Bill of Rights (the first ten amendments).

Using that rationale, Powell asserted that corporations, like rich people (from the Buckley decision that preceded Belotti by two years), are entitled to the First Amendment right of free speech. But he took it a radical step farther, ruling that because corporations don’t have mouths they can use to speak with, their use of money to spend supporting politicians or carpet-bombing advertising for a candidate or issue is free speech that can’t be tightly regulated.

Citizens United, another all-Republican decision with Clarence Thomas the deciding vote (after taking millions in bribes), expanded that doctrine for both corporations and rich people, creating new “dark money” systems that wealthy donors and companies can use to hide their involvement in their efforts to get the political/legal/legislative outcomes they seek.

Last week the Republicans on the Court took even that a huge step farther, declaring that when companies or wealthy people give money to politicians in exchange for contracts, legislation, or other favors, as long as the cash is paid out after the deed is done it’s not a bribe but a simple “gratuity.”

So, first off, they’ve overthrown over 240 years of American law and legalized bribery.

Last week they also gutted the ability of federal regulatory agencies to protect average people, voters, employees, and even the environment from corporations that seek to exploit, pollute, or even engage in wage theft. This shifted power across the economic spectrum from a government elected by we the people to the CEOs and boards of directors of some of America’s most predatory and poisonous companies.

Finally, in the Trump immunity case, the Court ruled that presidents are immune from prosecution under criminal law, regardless of the crimes they commit, so long as they assert those crimes are done as part of their “official” responsibilities. And who decides what’s “official”? The six Republicans on the Supreme Court.

These actions — corporate personhood, money as speech, ending the Chevron deference to regulatory agencies, and giving the president life-and-death powers that historically have only been held by kings, shahs, mullahs, dictators, and popes — have fundamentally altered the nature of our nation.

It’s almost impossible to overstate the significance of this, or its consequences. We no longer live in America 1.0; this is a new America, one more closely resembling the old Confederacy, where wealthy families and giant companies make the rules, enforce the rules, and punish those who irritate or try to obstruct them.

In America 2.0, there is no right to vote; governors and secretaries of state can take away your vote without even telling you (although they still must go to court to take away your gun).

They can destroy any politician they choose by simply pouring enough cash into the campaign system (including dark, untraceable cash).

The president can now go much farther than Bush’s torturing and imprisoning innocent people in Gitmo without legal process: he can now shoot a person on Fifth Avenue in plain sight of the world and simply call it a necessary part of his job. Or impoverish or imprison you or me with the thinnest of legal “official” rationales.

America 2.0 is not a democracy; it’s an oligarchy, as I wrote about in The Hidden History of American Oligarchy. The South has finally — nearly — won the Civil War.

While it will be months or more likely years before all of these new powers the Republicans on the Court have given the president, rich people, and corporations begin to dawn on most Americans, they will, step-by-step transform this country into something more closely resembling Hungary or Russia than the democracies of Europe and Southeast Asia.

The only remedy at this late stage in this 50+ yearlong campaign to remake America is a massive revolt this fall at the ballot box, turning Congress — by huge majorities — over to Democrats while holding the White House.

If we fail at this, while there will be scattered pockets of resistance for years, it’ll be nearly impossible to reverse the course that America’s rightwing billionaires have set us on.

There has never been a more critical time in the history of our nation outside of the last time rich oligarchs tried to overthrow our democracy, the Civil War. Like then, the stakes are nothing less than the survival of a nation of, by, and for we the people.

Pass it on.

The Hartmann Report is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work to rescue our republic, please consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.
bring back the days of anti fascists shooting fascists dead in the streets

Gry

Veteran
bring back the days of anti fascists shooting fascists dead in the streets

To do so would play directly into their hands. I know that you need no reminding of the
preparations which have been made for just such an occurrence.
Our opposition has had in essence 100 years and unlimited funds with which to prepare
themselves for such as that.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
The not in my neighborhood approach does not seem to be working real well here,
and I don't anticipate the recent court ruling criminalizing homelessness will improve
anything at all.
Perhaps if we could better control the shitfuckary that is done to them at home, they
might not feel such a need to flee in the first place.
all excellent points...

Gry

Veteran
We live in a society that has spent better than fifty years demonizing the homeless,
training us not to see them as decent.
Now their bought and paid for supreme court has criminalized them.
As the actual criminals within our society are better rewarded with each passing day.

Last edited:

moose eater

We live in a society that has spent better than fifty years demonizing the homeless,
and training us not to see them as decent.
Now their bought and paid for supreme court has criminalized them.
As the actual criminals within our society are more rewarded with each passing day.
There are a lot of reasons to be grumpy in my world. Reasons even to hate, literally. You're aware of some of them. But this is on my list as well, near the top.

Treating white collar criminals and Oligarchs as royalty, while incarcerating and making life more difficult for those who are truly trying to get by, and often failing. Like they need life to be made more difficult.

At times I really believe justified focused violence is in line. "The pigs won't leave the trough as long as there are slops in it, not without pain."

But the stereotypes of who immigrants are (both legal and not, or those seeking asylum) deserves some clarification.

Immigration has actually been shown over and over to boost an economy. There are many reasons for this.

I personally welcome other cultures, like to eat other cultural foods, enjoy learning about others' treks, trials, and origins. It's been an entertaining and pleasant aspect of life. It's someone's story of their life and often worth reading about or hearing first-hand.

Case-by-case, per capita, you will find that immigrants violate fewer laws than the average "I'm at home and will do as I damned well please" American... on average..

Any immigrant neighbors I've had, including Iranians, have had a better handle on minding their own business and keeping their stuff that was visible more orderly than many of my would-be hillbilly neighbors who had boundary issues that seemed to state they were amply aware of my tendencies, but oblivious to their own.

Immigrants don't bother me. What my government does in those places, theoretically in my name, bothers me a whole lot. For the carnage, the hypocrisy, the ill will it spreads in my name for those gullible enough to believe this is actually being done on the part of the average citizenry, etc.

I've often believed that if man-made borders are to restrict the efforts of anyone's movement, they should restrict the movement of the governments on the planet, not the citizens, who, in rhetoric, are promised 'freedom of movement'.

If I had my druthers, I'd have been laying atop a grassy mountain knoll in Nepal a -long- time ago, frankly.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I'm game, what are they gonna' do? Give me a terminal illness?
life in prison or the death penalty means nothing if you are of "a certain age". would i shoot and kill to protect my country ? fucking A... i'm already 40 years older than i thought i would make it to.

Gry

Veteran
Thank each of you for making this one of the better days that I have had in quite some time.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Gry, moose.... thought through reasoning and heart-felt declarations from you folks . no equivocation, no wobbly knees. :bow::good:

Gry

Veteran

Breaking: Trump Gives Up the Game​

He supports states tracking women's pregnancies & arresting patients​

In an interview with TIME magazine, Donald Trump admits that if reelected, he’d let anti-abortion activists do whatever they want. I wish that was hyperbole.

Trump, who has been trying to position himself as the ‘reasonable’ Republican on abortion rights, can’t help but give up the game the second a reporter gives him a few minutes to talk. He tells Eric Cortellessa that he’d support states tracking women’s pregnancies and arresting abortion patients, and he refused to commit to vetoing a federal abortion ban.

How many different times can Trump make clear that he’s an extremist misogynist before people finally take his word for it?

Trump says it’s up to state governments, for example, whether or not to monitor women’s pregnancies. In fact, he says, “I think they might do that.” That’s because Trump has undoubtedly been briefed by anti-abortion groups, who are ramping up their strategy around data collection and abortion reporting. He is well aware that tracking women’s reproductive health and pregnancy status is a big part of how anti-abortion groups plan to enforce their bans.

The disgraced former president also said he had no problem with the government prosecuting abortion patients, saying “the states are going to make those decisions.”

Trump seems to think that by giving states free reign, he’s washing his hands of abortion—an issue that’s become increasingly toxic for Republicans. In truth, Trump is admitting that he doesn’t really care what happens to American women, and that he’ll leave our fates up to the country’s most extremist legislators.

And despite Trump’s best efforts to pretend as if the federal government wouldn’t play a role in abortion policy, there’s a reason he wouldn’t commit to vetoing a national abortion ban: He knows he would sign one. Even if Republicans don’t have the votes for a traditional ban, powerful anti-abortion organizations have a plan to prohibit abortion in every state by using the Comstock Act and reversing FDA approval for abortion medication. Trump knows that, too.

As Reproductive Freedom for All president Mini Timmaraju said in a statement today, “Trump will choose anti-abortion extremists and their horrifying agenda over American families every single chance he gets, and this new interview proves that he will ban abortion in all 50 states.
Now, none of this is a surprise. Feminists have been screaming from the rooftops that Trump would give anti-abortion groups and lawmakers anything they want if he got a second run at the White House. The only reason Trump has been able to pretend that he’s less radical than other GOP leaders is because mainstream media outlets consistently echo his talking points—giving his lie the credence it needs to deliver a 2024 win.

I think all the time about the former president’s interview with “Meet the Press” in September, where he said seven different times that abortion providers “kill the baby after birth” only to have the headline at NBC News declare that he wanted to “bring the country together” on abortion.

In spite of his bullshit messaging, Trump has a very hard time not admitting all. The question as we speed towards November is whether or not the people who shape the national debate will take him at his word rather than his talking points.

To read more columns like this one and support independent feminist media, join the Abortion, Every Day community:​

Gry

Veteran
One of the larger lies they always attempt to project was that civil rights helped out minorities more
than anyone else.
The truth is, that it was women in general who did benefit more than anyone else.
Just as true is that it will be women who shall suffer most with what the opposition is proposing.

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
It took many years for the corporations to grow into people. Their seeds were planted early.

Written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and in operation since 1789, the United States Constitution is the world's longest surviving written charter of government.
Textile corporations helped spark the Industrial Revolution.

Is cotton considered a textile? Where does cotton grow in the USA?