What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gry

Veteran
Turkey’s condition to let Sweden and Finland join NATO: Extradite ‘terrorists’

Turkey: the only NATO member that’s stopping the Nordic nations from joining©Provided by The Daily Digest
Sweden and Finland applied to join the West's defensive alliance after Russia launched its war in Ukraine. Turkey was the only one of NATO's 30 member states to block their bids until the two Nordic states agreed to a set of demands.
Turkey is particularly keen on the handover of individuals it considers linked to the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), considered a terrorist group by the EU, US and UK. Nevertheless, Erdogan is also after journalists or teachers who were against his regime.

Gry

Veteran

Medvedev says America will burn following missile incident blamed on United States​

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev published a heated warning online after an attack carried out with American-supplied missiles on Russian-occupied Crimea by Kyiv led to several deaths and over one hundred injuries.

Last edited:

GenghisKush

Couldn't be that the man's record of service sucks or that his erratic behavior has alienated his base.

Must be some nefarious conspiracy, eh?

WESTCHESTER

Bowman takes heat from local Dems for voting against Biden's bipartisan infrastructure bill​

Bowman says the infrastructure bill failed to address social safety items for some constituents, namely seniors, women and children.​

Rockland/Westchester Journal News

Westchester Democrats were largely left disappointed by U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s vote against the bipartisan infrastructure bill Friday that is expected to bring billions of dollars to New York once President Joe Biden signs it into law.

The $1.2 trillion package, formally know as the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, will go toward upgrading roads and bridges, airports, public transit and water systems. Biden called it “a monumental step forward as a nation.”

But Bowman, along with five other progressive congressional Democrats, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, rejected the bill. Part of Bowman's district covers Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon and other towns in the southern portion of the county.

U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman, D-Yonkers, right, and U.S. Rep. Mondaire Jones spoke at a press conference in Greenburgh on March 25, 2021. New Congressional district lines place them in the 16th District.

The other two congressmen who represent Westchester, Mondaire Jones and Sean Patrick Maloney, voted for the bill.

While the infrastructure bill passed, Biden and congressional Democrats are still working out the details of the more contentious Build Back Better Act, which is an expansive social safety net and climate change proposal.

Bowman, a Yonkers resident, said in a statement he and other progressives made clear for months they wanted to vote on the infrastructure bill and Build Back Better Act together. The vote on the latter was delayed after some representatives wanted it reviewed by the Congressional Budget Office before considering it. He asserted that his conservative colleagues moved the goalposts.

“We were asked to vote only on physical infrastructure at the last hour and to delay the needs and ignore the suffering of our constituents with the weakest assurance that the original agreement would be kept,” Bowman stated. “The agreement was broken. Therefore, I voted no on a physical infrastructure bill that came without the Build Back Better Act.”

Bowman called the passage of the infrastructure bill a “positive development” but complained it didn’t address a slew of social safety items.

“We can only build back better by ensuring the health and prosperity of seniors, women, children, immigrants and our planet,” Bowman stated. “We need policies that bring America into the present day, with other developed countries, so that we can end our reliance on fossil fuels, provide paid leave to all, and eradicate child poverty.”

'I couldn't believe it'​

Still, some local Democrats were unmoved and at least one was incredulous.

Legislator Catherine Parker (D-Rye) said the bill Bowman opposed will provide good opportunities to address a myriad of local infrastructure needs.

Westchester Legislator Catherine Parker, D-Rye, was disappointed U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman voted against the infrastructure bill.

“I felt (Bowman's) protest vote spoke more of his unwillingness to accept compromise than actually accomplishing anything,” Parker said in a statement.

Greenburgh Supervisor Paul Feiner's called Bowman's decision "irresponsible." Bowman's district covers part of the town.

"I couldn't believe it," said Feiner, later adding. "If he got his way, we would've gotten nothing."
County Legislator Tyrae Woodson-Samuels said he and others don't want to condemn Bowman, but were confused by his vote.

"I just don't understand the vote," Woodson-Samuels (D-Mount Vernon) said. "I'm just worried what type of message this sends to regular, hardworking families, to our businesses and to our communities."

Westchester County Executive George Latimer took a softer tone. The Democrat said he supports the bill, though he noted, "Congressman Bowman is a friend and friends disagree sometimes on issues."

Westchester Democratic Committee chair Suzanne Berger said she's received more emails and calls about Bowman's actions following his vote in a 24-hour period than any other issue since she became chair 13 months ago.

Westchester activist Amy Siskind, who became a well-known member of the so-called resistance to the Trump administration, said in an email she was “deeply disappointed" in Bowman’s vote. She noted five of the 13 Republicans who supported the bill were from New York and New Jersey.

“Our state and district stand to significantly benefit from passage of the bill, and we should have stood proudly with President Biden in finally passing historic legislation that addresses our nation’s crumbling infrastructure — a feat no president has been able to accomplish after decades of trying,” Siskind said.
But New Rochelle progressive activist Jamaal Gill said he actually supported Bowman's vote because the infrastructure bill doesn't do enough to help the people who need the most assistance. He believes congressional Democrats are accommodating moderates like West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin too much instead of progressives.

"I am in 100% support of Bowman," Gill said.

David Propper covers Westchester County. Reach him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter: dg_props. Our local coverage is only possible with support from our readers.

moose eater

Couldn't be that the man's record of service sucks or that his erratic behavior has alienated his base.

WESTCHESTER

Bowman takes heat from local Dems for voting against Biden's bipartisan infrastructure bill​

Bowman says the infrastructure bill failed to address social safety items for some constituents, namely seniors, women and children.​

Westchester Democrats were largely left disappointed by U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s vote against the bipartisan infrastructure bill Friday that is expected to bring billions of dollars to New York once President Joe Biden signs it into law.

The $1.2 trillion package, formally know as the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, will go toward upgrading roads and bridges, airports, public transit and water systems. Biden called it “a monumental step forward as a nation.”

But Bowman, along with five other progressive congressional Democrats, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, rejected the bill. Part of Bowman's district covers Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon and other towns in the southern portion of the county.

U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman, D-Yonkers, right, and U.S. Rep. Mondaire Jones spoke at a press conference in Greenburgh on March 25, 2021. New Congressional district lines place them in the 16th District.

The other two congressmen who represent Westchester, Mondaire Jones and Sean Patrick Maloney, voted for the bill.

While the infrastructure bill passed, Biden and congressional Democrats are still working out the details of the more contentious Build Back Better Act, which is an expansive social safety net and climate change proposal.

Bowman, a Yonkers resident, said in a statement he and other progressives made clear for months they wanted to vote on the infrastructure bill and Build Back Better Act together. The vote on the latter was delayed after some representatives wanted it reviewed by the Congressional Budget Office before considering it. He asserted that his conservative colleagues moved the goalposts.

“We were asked to vote only on physical infrastructure at the last hour and to delay the needs and ignore the suffering of our constituents with the weakest assurance that the original agreement would be kept,” Bowman stated. “The agreement was broken. Therefore, I voted no on a physical infrastructure bill that came without the Build Back Better Act.”

Bowman called the passage of the infrastructure bill a “positive development” but complained it didn’t address a slew of social safety items.

“We can only build back better by ensuring the health and prosperity of seniors, women, children, immigrants and our planet,” Bowman stated. “We need policies that bring America into the present day, with other developed countries, so that we can end our reliance on fossil fuels, provide paid leave to all, and eradicate child poverty.”

'I couldn't believe it'​

Legislator Catherine Parker (D-Rye) said the bill Bowman opposed will provide good opportunities to address a myriad of local infrastructure needs.

Westchester Legislator Catherine Parker, D-Rye, was disappointed U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman voted against the infrastructure bill.

“I felt (Bowman's) protest vote spoke more of his unwillingness to accept compromise than actually accomplishing anything,” Parker said in a statement.

Greenburgh Supervisor Paul Feiner's called Bowman's decision "irresponsible." Bowman's district covers part of the town.

"I couldn't believe it," said Feiner, later adding. "If he got his way, we would've gotten nothing."
County Legislator Tyrae Woodson-Samuels said he and others don't want to condemn Bowman, but were confused by his vote.

"I just don't understand the vote," Woodson-Samuels (D-Mount Vernon) said. "I'm just worried what type of message this sends to regular, hardworking families, to our businesses and to our communities."

Westchester County Executive George Latimer took a softer tone. The Democrat said he supports the bill, though he noted, "Congressman Bowman is a friend and friends disagree sometimes on issues."

Westchester Democratic Committee chair Suzanne Berger said she's received more emails and calls about Bowman's actions following his vote in a 24-hour period than any other issue since she became chair 13 months ago.

Westchester activist Amy Siskind, who became a well-known member of the so-called resistance to the Trump administration, said in an email she was “deeply disappointed" in Bowman’s vote. She noted five of the 13 Republicans who supported the bill were from New York and New Jersey.

“Our state and district stand to significantly benefit from passage of the bill, and we should have stood proudly with President Biden in finally passing historic legislation that addresses our nation’s crumbling infrastructure — a feat no president has been able to accomplish after decades of trying,” Siskind said.
But New Rochelle progressive activist Jamaal Gill said he actually supported Bowman's vote because the infrastructure bill doesn't do enough to help the people who need the most assistance. He believes congressional Democrats are accommodating moderates like West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin too much instead of progressives.

David Propper covers Westchester County. Reach him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter: dg_props. Our local coverage is only possible with support from our readers.
I was pretty sure that the report referenced his questionable record out front in broad daylight, which has nothing at all to do with AIPAC dumping a ton of foreign lobbyist money into his election.

Sometimes the knee-jerk defensiveness over cultural Judaism is so stout that key points go completely missed, it seems.

Remember the outcry over the alleged Russian interference in US elections? I do.

Maybe it being Israeli money makes it all OK?

It's the same animal, same interference, though more pervasive and insidious.

But some will incessantly miss the forest for the trees when dealing with issues in which they have noteworthy biases (which they deny due to lack of either honesty or self-awareness, or both).

Maybe you simply missed the AIPAC funding part by engaging in the Readers Digest version that includes see-no-evil where AIPAC is concerned? Which was the heart of the story for those without the cultural blinders others wear but deny.

GenghisKush

I remember you celebrating Julian Assange, who is not an American, who published the emails of the American DNC and arguably helped throw the election for Trump.

AIPAC is - like all PACS - run by Americans.

As are the American Irish Democrats, Iranian American PAC, etc.

audiohi

Veteran

WESTCHESTER

'I couldn't believe it'​

lol

moose eater

I remember you celebrating Julian Assange, who is not an American, who published the emails of the American DNC and arguably helped throw the election for Trump.

AIPAC is - like all PACS - run by Americans.

As are the American Irish Democrats, Iranian American PAC, etc.
AIPAC works an Israeli agenda within our national and local elections, often with Israeli money.

Assange was a journalist, with awards as such to prove it.

Assange was persecuted for outing US war crimes. AIPAC helps to explain away and make excuses for war crimes.

Next?

GenghisKush

AIPAC works an Israeli agenda within our national and local elections, often with Israeli money.
Americans are free to do as they like under the law. Are you suggesting there is some problem with Americans having interest in other countries, generally, or Israel in particular?
Assange was a journalist, with awards as such to prove it.
This is a matter of opinion, not a statement of fact. You can't prove it.

moose eater

Americans are free to do as they like under the law. Are you suggesting there is some problem with Americans having interest in other countries, generally, or Israel in particular?

Laughable at best. Assange certainly possesses awards as a journalist.

What part of that is opinion?

Assange revealed US military war crimes, and it was the point during which they sought to undo him... after the DoD claimed to not have footage of the gunship shooting the Reuter's journalist and his camera man, not to mention the van full of children the gunship greased and the good Samaritan they also shot when he stopped to render aid.... with the US serviceman on the ground flipping the bird to the wounded Iraqi civilian Samaritan when he reached out in request for help and instead received profane gestures from one of Uncle Shmuck's armed sociopaths..

What part of that hasn't been proven?

If you want to argue these things, perhaps you'll need to find someone not as well versed in this history as myself.

moose eater

I'm suggesting that surrogates operating on behalf of a foreign government in US elections is tantamount to treason... especially when that activity is funded with US tax dollars.

GenghisKush

Laughable at best. Assange certainly possesses awards as a journalist.

What part of that is opinion?

Assange revealed US military war crimes, and it was the point during which they sought to undo him... after the DoD claimed to not have footage of the gunship shooting the Reuter's journalist and his camera man, not to mention the van full of children the gunship greased and the good Samaritan they also shot when he stopped to render aid.... with the US serviceman on the ground flipping the bird to the wounded Iraqi civilian Samaritan when he reached out in request for help and instead received profane gestures from one of Uncle Shmuck's armed sociopaths..

What part of that hasn't been proven?

If you want to argue these things, perhaps you'll need to find someone not as well versed in this history as myself.
the stuff that Assange did that I (and Thom Hartmann) argue is decidedly NOT journalism was the publishing of the DNC emails in advance of the 2016 election, acting as a cut-out for the FSB, and not as a journalist (these are mere opinions which happen to be supported by facts).

I'm suggesting that surrogates operating on behalf of a foreign government in US elections is tantamount to treason... especially when that activity is funded with US tax dollars.

Are you well-versed enough to tell me which law is being broken?

GenghisKush

I never had a sincere desire to burn a US flag until someone told me I might be criminalized for doing with my own property as I wished. Then, shortly thereafter, I sincerely desired to do so.

That defiant 'FUCK YOU!' being still lives in me.

The more someone foists choices upon me, or attempts to, when those positions have zero to do with actual General Health & Welfare concerns, but more to do with ideological mind-fucking, the more I still say, "FUCK YOU!!" and make a point of doing whatever in their face or view to let them know the impotence of their 'desires.'
honestly the same dynamic has had me consider, for the first time in my life, claiming birthright citizenship in Israel.

not gonna do it. but still. fuck anyone who would tell me i need to distance myself politically from israel, or else i ought to fear for my safety. can you not see how deeply fucked-up that is?

Gry

Veteran

Search term: journalistic awards won by Assange and Wikileaks
Search engine used Bing
Result : Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, has received recognition for his work in publishing sensitive and classified information. Here are some notable awards he has won:

1. The Economist’s New Media Award (2008): Assange was honored with this award for his contributions to journalism through WikiLeaks1.
  2. Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism (2011): He received this prestigious prize, which recognizes outstanding investigative journalism1.
  3. Amnesty International New Media Award (2009): Assange collaborated with journalist Jon Swain on a report about political killings in Kenya, leading to increased public recognition of WikiLeaks. This collaboration earned him the Amnesty International New Media Award2.
  4. 2019 GUE/NGL Award for Journalists, Whistleblowers & Defenders of the Right to Information: Despite being jailed, Assange received this award established in honor of an assassinated journalist3.
  5. Australian Walkley Awards: These are Australia’s most prestigious journalism awards. Assange was recognized for his work, and he pre-recorded an acceptance speech for the award ceremony4.

Last edited: