What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

This and that

Timj

I gave my plants some comfrey tea today. They are all happily reaching for the sun.
20240801_171816.jpg
20240801_171807.jpg
20240801_171757.jpg

Timj

The plant on the left is a Nirvana seeds-Nicole Kush x Banana OG. The middle plant is a World of Seeds- Star 47 and the plant to the right is a Barney's farm-Lemon Tree. All plants are around 7-1/2' tall and still stretching. The plant in the center,the Star 47 is about 6 weeks older than the other two.
NKBOGSS47LT81024.jpg

Timj

Starting to see how these ladies are going to set their bud now. I've grown most of them indoors but none of them outdoors, until now. Bodhi-Babylon Buster, 2nd is Nirvana seeds-Nicole Kush x Banana OG, 3rd is Barney's Farm-Lemon Tree and lastly is World of seeds- Star 47.
Bodibabylonbuster81624.jpg
NKBOG81624n.jpg
LemonTree81624.jpg
20240816_193948star4781624.jpg

Last edited:

Timj

Mixing up a new batch of bedding for my red worms today. Horse manure on the right, leaf mold on the left. Next is perlite and shredded bark and the final bag is kelp meal on the bottom and micro-fine basalt powder. Here's the bedding after I mixed it up.
20240824_172107.jpg
20240824_172100.jpg
20240824_172655.jpg
20240824_173803.jpg

BrassNwood

Veteran
Thank you BNW. Good to see you around again. How's the healing process going?

Seems to have stalled a bit this week. That or I've just pushed too hard and need some recovery time. Knee feels weak and wants to lock back at the end of a walking stroke. Shouldn't do that and I have fight to keep it from happening. I was doing some limited walking without the cane but even that is not currently working.

Timj

Seems to have stalled a bit this week. That or I've just pushed too hard and need some recovery time. Knee feels weak and wants to lock back at the end of a walking stroke. Shouldn't do that and I have fight to keep it from happening. I was doing some limited walking without the cane but even that is not currently working.
The older I get. The longer the healing process seems to be. I guess it's to be expected. I wish you a speedy recovery my friend.

Timj

How do you harvest your worm castings? What types of screens do you use?

15 gal of fresh castings will give the plants a good boost. What are you doing with it?
I use the pile method in direct sun. The worm will dig deep to avoid the sunlight. I grab a handful at a time off the top and sift it through my hands on a clean place of a tarp to find any worms left behind. I only harvest my bins 2 times a year and harvest around 20 gallons. This year I harvested one bin early. I use my worm castings to build new growing mediums and as a top dress around 1 week prior to flipping to flower.

Timj

I tried chainsaw carving for the first time ever today. Here's how it looks so far. I realize it's a bit goofy looking. But, I learned some things and the next one will be better. I'm waiting for a new grinder and some wood shaping disc's to come in the mail and I'll finish this one up. The wood is Cottonwood that fell in a wind storm.
20240908_191528.jpg
first rough cuts.jpg
first attempt front.jpg

Timj

Makes a nice little seat or table, paint and wax the bottom of the feet as soon as possible, good job @Timj :smoker:
Thanks @mike-or-ozzy . The size is deceptive. It's about 28" across the top, 19" tall in the front and 36" long at the base of the legs. It has 3 legs because one branch section was smaller than the other. I used linseed oil on the top as it will be a few days before I'll get my grinder to finish shaping this bench. Then I'll burn it before linseed oiling the whole bench. I've been milling lumber for over 30 years now so I'm aware of end grain cracking.