What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

This and that

mike-or-ozzy

Thanks Tim, I know that you know wood, when I get my camera skills back, I have some canes and other carvings to show you, keep making chips buddy.

Timj

Thanks Tim, I know that you know wood, when I get my camera skills back, I have some canes and other carvings to show you, keep making chips buddy.
I look forward to seeing your canes and other carvings. I didn't seal the bottoms of the legs yet because I ran out of linseed oil and didn't want to use the green AnchorSeal end grain sealer I use for my lumber milling. That tends to stain about 1/2" deep in cottonwood. Thanks and you keep chipping away too my friend.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like fun. Will be a nice table to have around. My ex-father in law used to make all kinds of cool stuff with wood. Made a few tables whittling down for pegs and piecing it together. A one piece table is just awesome. Great work! Will be good for packing pipes or vapes. :smoke:

Timj

Looks like fun. Will be a nice table to have around. My ex-father in law used to make all kinds of cool stuff with wood. Made a few tables whittling down for pegs and piecing it together. A one piece table is just awesome. Great work! Will be good for packing pipes or vapes. :smoke:
Thanks @pipeline . I made a pegged legged bench a few years back when a Ash tree was killed by emerald ash borer beetles. So I'm familiar with that technique as well. I always wanted to try chainsaw carving. I used the bark from this very large tree as mulch for all my gardens. There is still a lot of bark left to mulch. Cottonwood burns very fast so it's good for starting a fire but not as a main fuel source. I try to harvest as much as I can so the tree lives on in another way.

Timj

I roughed out another seat today. This one is 21" in diameter and 16" high.
20240910_162316.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're a talented sculpture artist! A friend of mine has a couple bears and a 10-15 ft carving that says welcome with a fish on the end. Will have to get pics. He is going to be growing some of my Sativa Candy Chunk F15 and I gave him some testers.

Timj

You're a talented sculpture artist! A friend of mine has a couple bears and a 10-15 ft carving that says welcome with a fish on the end. Will have to get pics. He is going to be growing some of my Sativa Candy Chunk F15 and I gave him some testers.
Thanks pipeline. But, I don't consider myself artistic. I've never used the chainsaw to carve before. I made a branch,chair and two gnomes so far. I have carved several wood spirits using a rotary hand carver. I've also made some spoons using the same rotary tool. But, that is about all my carving experience. Oh yeah, I did carve a few small wooden boxes I've made using hand carving tools. Now that my old memory is coming back. I've also carved a few walking sticks.

That welcome carving sounds cool. F15 ? Do you still see traits from both parent plants?

Latest posts

Latest posts