What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

This and that

Timj

I remember seeing coots mix somewhere, is that from ICMAG?
I believe his original no-till recipe was in the old organic thread here. It's also all over the web on different cannabis forums and on a few you tube videos. His revised version just drops out the Oyster shell flower. He found he had plenty of calcium in the crab/crustacean meal alone to pH balance the CSPM in his recipe.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that possible to have enough fertilizer in the hole to grow the plant to finish with a good yield? I figure we always have to supplement Nitrogen at least in August to prevent deficiency.

Subcool had a good mix there too.

Timj

Is that possible to have enough fertilizer in the hole to grow the plant to finish with a good yield? I figure we always have to supplement Nitrogen at least in August to prevent deficiency.

Subcool had a good mix there too.
I don't have any problems. I do amend my holes each spring prior to planting. And I top dress once prior to flowering.

I've never run subcools recipe.

I generally replace the CSPM in Coot's recipe with leaf mold I make. So, I only use around 1/2 cup of crab/crustacean meal per cu.ft. of my medium. Because my leaf mold has a neutral pH of around 7.0 versus the CSPM 's pH of around 4.4 pH. Other than that. I keep my mix as basic as possible.

Subcool seems to add way too much calcium inputs into his mix. The starting pH of his mix must be very high.

Timj

Here's my Fastbuds Apple Strudel at 12 weeks. Grown in my small greenhouse. I need to check her trichome development with my loupe tomorrow. But, she looks ready to harvest.
appstr.jpg

Timj

I harvested some tomatoes yesterday. About 14 pounds were cored and chunked for the freezer. At the end of the season I make sauce with them. The basket has Black Krim and Cherokee Purple on top. I have some Early girl,New Yorker and Celebrity tomatoes on the bottom. The picture with 3 larger tomatoes is Brandywine. The last picture with 4 tomatoes are called German stripped and are my favorite tomato variety.
20240723_134120.jpg
20240723_134112.jpg
20240723_134104.jpg

Timj

I also harvested a Fastbuds-"Apple Strudel" auto-flower. It was just over 4' tall from the soil line. I wet trim my greenhouse auto-flowers while they are still standing. Not a lot of weight. But, it produced some frosty-n-sticky and wonderfully smelly bud. Can't wait to vape some of this.
20240723_132103.jpg
top.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The apple studel looks like some really good resin. Thats great you can finish a 12 week long flowering plant since its autoflower. Never really thought about that. Do you like autoflowers as much as regular finishing plants? Does the resin turn out better when they get some cool weather in the fall before harvest?

Tomatoes look great, how do you make sauce out of them. I thought about doing that. because I like canned crushed tomatoes. I want a lighly cooked mix like what I buy. I guess just core them and smash them and boil them. How long do you cook the tomatoes to make sauce and at what temperature?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you get to try some green tomatoes fried in olive oil? I like them lightly cooked just after color change. Easy green topping which go great with tomato sauce!

Timj

The apple studel looks like some really good resin. Thats great you can finish a 12 week long flowering plant since its autoflower. Never really thought about that. Do you like autoflowers as much as regular finishing plants? Does the resin turn out better when they get some cool weather in the fall before harvest?

Tomatoes look great, how do you make sauce out of them. I thought about doing that. because I like canned crushed tomatoes. I want a lighly cooked mix like what I buy. I guess just core them and smash them and boil them. How long do you cook the tomatoes to make sauce and at what temperature?
Fastbuds have some very fine genetics. I use auto-flowers as a filler for an earlier harvest outside in my greenhouse and as an extra plant sometimes indoors. I've also made my own auto-flower cross using Auto Purple crossed with Auto Critical. Many folks that I've shared those seeds with love the unique high and the lavender color of her finished buds. I don't run my auto-flowers in cooler weather so I'm not sure about that question. I do see more resin production when I top dress with freshly ground malted barley.

I pull all my frozen tomato's the day before I make sauce. I have a large outdoor propane burner and a large pot I boil my tomatoes down in. I then run everything through my food mill to remove the seeds and skins. I then simmer the sauce to thicken it. Then I jar in pints using citric acid and process in the canner.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool I have a ball jar book with a guide I will have to pull out. Still waiting on my tomatoes. I focused on the herb crop instead.

Was wondering if you noticed a difference between the summertime auto harvest and other flowers of regular varieties which are harvested in the fall under cooler conditions? Does the cool weather affect the resin qualities in your experience?

Timj

Cool I have a ball jar book with a guide I will have to pull out. Still waiting on my tomatoes. I focused on the herb crop instead.

Was wondering if you noticed a difference between the summertime auto harvest and other flowers of regular varieties which are harvested in the fall under cooler conditions? Does the cool weather affect the resin qualities in your experience?
I do not see any notable increase in resin production in the outdoor plants versus the same exact strain indoors. I ran two Critical Kush plants last year. One inside and one outside the only difference I noticed was a larger yield from my outdoor plant. But, the indoor plants had much denser buds. They were seeds that I made and were both the same exact age. I posted them here in this thread.