What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

xerb

Northern Light x Haze

Northern Light x Haze

These are from an original pack of 1990 Sensi Seeds
Northern Light x Haze

They germinated after almost 30 years.

They had been stored in the low humidity drawer in my Frigidaire refrigerator. They were stored inside a fancy wooden cigar box, the whole box was dropped into a ziplock and sealed. The whole thing is dropped into another ziplock and sealed. This effectively keeps light out and stabilizes the humidity for the long term.

Every time I need to get into my box, I let it come up to room temp for about an hour before I open it, I do not want any cold surfaces to condense moisture from the air.

Anyway back to the buds. This bud may have some amount of Northern Lights in it, but you sure can't tell by the growth pattern, or the buzz.

By today's standards, I think most would call it a pure sativa.
It really tested my growing skills, I never topped it, but the bending was relentless. It went 100 days in a 11/13 light cycle and honestly it could have gone longer. In the end I had to turn the pots on their sides and had the main stems horizontal.

The buds are a little bit denser than the Zamaldelicas I just finished, but not much.

The buzz is exceedingly clear. As far as facial pressure, this one makes my upper teeth tingle at first and over the next hour it slowly moves back, ending up behind my ears before it slowly releases. It makes my cheeks feel like I have been smiling for too long.

I put three little nuggets out to smoke tonight but I only made it through the first one. I wanted to evaluate a larger dosage. Doh! I guess I missed my chance.

Dopey is forgetful, happy and content.

XERB

xerb

Regarding my experiences with seed storage

Regarding my experiences with seed storage

In my previous post I mentioned my seed storage method, and I feel it is important to mention,

I have had whole batches that were not viable after a much shorter storage . It may be related to the actual genetics rather than storage conditions...Best to test every few years....

Bud_Man10

Veteran
Lovely looking flowers xerb! She’s definitely sativa! Exactly how I deal with bean storage...just popped a few 18+ yr. old.

xerb

The drying shed

The drying shed

Decided I wanted to try something different tonight.

Went out to the drying shed and found a couple plants I had forgotten about. A very fruity Jack Herer cross and a few Zamaldelicas. These have been curing for 7 or 8 months.

Imagine having a drying room with controlled temp and humidity, where all you have to do it hang your plant and walk away, it will cure perfectly all on its own.

I have plants in wonderful cure that have been hanging for almost 2 years. Many of these sativa are actually better after the first year. Some are real contenders at two.

For years I had a Sensi Seeds Juicy Fruit cutting that tasted just like Thai stick after a VERY long cure.
It is a very unstable cross, but there are always one or two keepers found it a batch of 10 girls.

Of all the seeds I have ever grown, to me this one is the most reminiscent of the "Humbolt" skunk of the 80s. Xerb

xerb

She who must not be named

She who must not be named

This is a real sweetheart of a SE Asian sativa.
I was told that it came from Korea.
Totally stable, incredible vigor, and incredibly satisfying.
She leaves you on the floor, rather than looking for more!

I have a friend who hobnobs with the folks at the big Oakland Cannabis Club - I forget what it is called. He took a small amount
of this down to get their opinion.

They called back about a week later saying they would buy all they could get and acknowledged it was better than anything they had at the moment.

Sorry, just enough for personal !

Although I have maintained this strain for many years, I have not worked it at all. I am more of a preservationist, and make seed by pollinating a good
cross-section of females (17 last time) with the best looking males (about 8).

Happy Hunting! Xerb

I can't seem to message folks back - what is the trick?

harvestreaper

Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79767&pictureid=2108988&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
These are from an original pack of 1990 Sensi Seeds
Northern Light x Haze

They germinated after almost 30 years.

They had been stored in the low humidity drawer in my Frigidaire refrigerator. They were stored inside a fancy wooden cigar box, the whole box was dropped into a ziplock and sealed. The whole thing is dropped into another ziplock and sealed. This effectively keeps light out and stabilizes the humidity for the long term.

Every time I need to get into my box, I let it come up to room temp for about an hour before I open it, I do not want any cold surfaces to condense moisture from the air.

Anyway back to the buds. This bud may have some amount of Northern Lights in it, but you sure can't tell by the growth pattern, or the buzz.

By today's standards, I think most would call it a pure sativa.
It really tested my growing skills, I never topped it, but the bending was relentless. It went 100 days in a 11/13 light cycle and honestly it could have gone longer. In the end I had to turn the pots on their sides and had the main stems horizontal.

The buds are a little bit denser than the Zamaldelicas I just finished, but not much.

The buzz is exceedingly clear. As far as facial pressure, this one makes my upper teeth tingle at first and over the next hour it slowly moves back, ending up behind my ears before it slowly releases. It makes my cheeks feel like I have been smiling for too long.

I put three little nuggets out to smoke tonight but I only made it through the first one. I wanted to evaluate a larger dosage. Doh! I guess I missed my chance.

Dopey is forgetful, happy and content.

XERB

very nice sounds just like it should do and a great reward for your storage efforts , just grabbed a pack of 90s haze 5 from tsc meself

Bud_Man10

Veteran
If you mean personal message...you need 50 posts to do so. If you mean reply to a ‘specific’ post in a thread...hit the quote icon in lower right corner.

xerb

Just a side note, my buddy now makes a killing growing this strain and selling it to the clubs. He told me that he even managed to get 5 pounds from one huge plant.

Years ago he was about the best organic grower I knew. But his product became so important to his livelihood, that he went from organic to commercial overnight. His product got so bad I could not take more than a sample hit. Then he went to war with the russet mites. Knowing now what he uses in his garden, I won't take a single toke.

I don't think he even thanked me for the seeds.... They were free, so they must not be worth anything, right?

I stopped calling him a friend.

xerb

Sorry guys, I can't return the personal messages.

Talk about disappointing, I ordered a batch of seeds from a distributor in England, what they sent me were immature, little white beans, and not a single one germinated!

They said they could not talk about anything like germination, and would not make it right.

I had ordered Nanan Bouclou, Goldrush, and a couple other Aussie strains not a single seed was mature! What a rip!

Sorry for the rants, must be my time of the month....

xerb

Is it a sativa or an indica?

Is it a sativa or an indica?

Just wanted to add a picture of the Red Sapphire

The high reminds me of Nepalese finger hash.
A very warm, relaxing, almost opiate effect.

Everybody is going to want to have some of this in their stash box! Xerb

Nice plant Breadwizard

As I go through all my personal possessions, I came across an old polaroid of a pure Afghani plant. It was quite a specimen. I just kick myself for having had a habit of pinching the tops of plants for no good reason. I never saw what this might of looked like in it's natural state except for an old photo of an Afghani from Charles Schultz's Plants of the Gods. Here is the picture of my plant:
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

I thought you guys would appreciate what indica looked like before it was crossed to sativa. Pure indica is hard to find these days.

ThaiBliss

Shitty pictures! I thought "what are those flowers?", i did not see it was weed, lol... What's the point? And yes, you can find pure afghan seeds on the web...
Sorry to disturb...

Hempsmoke

I have grown out the strain called Chem Dawg a few times. These plants were all cuttings from friends or clubs.

I was never impressed with the health and vigor of those cutting.
The end product was unimpressive as well.

BUT, I recently received a pack of 10 Chem Dawg beans as a freebie. I grew them all outside in the California sun.

They all matured early.

Planted inside June 1st, planted outside July 10 about 2 feet tall, they got be about 6-7 feet tall when done.

All four were finished between October 1 and 15th.
The smell while growing was mild and seemed rather bland, a little spice maybe, but no skunk at all. They got hung with the rest and forgotten for a bit.

Of the four females one proved to be really exceptional.

She tastes GREAT and is mentally devastating.
I can't believe that a plant with so little smell can taste so great.

I recognized the taste immediately.

It was the good Colombian we were getting in San Francisco back in the seventies.

The first time I tried this girl, I took three good hits. The high was immediate, but kept building, peaking and peaking for the next hour or more.

I was alone in a mountain meadow without another person for miles, relaxing in nature. Mellow as can be.

SUDDENLY, after 3 tokes,

I am having the most paranoid thoughts!

Where is my babysitter? Whaaaa!

In my mind, this is total trip weed. I had gone somewhere else, out of my head, friggin' smashed. I was a nervous, frightened, anti-social, NERD. Who dresses me anyway?

Wow, pretty sure this could be called a terror inducing Sativa, eh?

I promise to take a few bong rips and get back to you later with a second report on the effects.

What good is having a beer to bring you back to earth if you forget to drink it? It's good ballast, ya know?

Xerb

Hey
I had once an Hawaiian Snow clone from a friend.
It was a clone from from a single seed from a mixed pack by greenhouse.

She looked like a real sativa, tall, very thin leafs and long internodes but was done in 9-10 weeks.

Dude I tell you this was some strong stuff. It made me paranoid every time I smoked it.
Like after smoking it I thought every car I heard driving past my house were the cops, 100% and I was constantly peeking through the window lol.
The smell was also as described by ghs, like some sweet roasted onions, which doesent sound that good, but it is.

Sadly the clone i made didnt root, since it was 10 years ago and I was still a noob when it comes to clones, but ever since I was thinking about getting a pack of seeds.
But to be honest I'm not sure if I will find such a nice plant again after all those years and,well, let's be honest, it's greenhouse....

I recently got a 5 pack of Super lemon haze from them after wanting to try it for a long time, and 5out of 5 popped but 4 stopped growing after the root showed.
I popped a few other seeds at the same time (and since then even more) and they didn't had any issues at all, so I guess it's not me to blame here.
Oh, and the 1 slh left is a great plant, very dense and frosty buds with good potency BUT there's no lemon and no haze smell, damn, there's almost no smell at all!

Said that I think now I will get a pack of the Hawaiian snow on my next seed order. There should be some discounts on 4/20 so we will see :p

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
I have grown out the strain called Chem Dawg a few times. These plants were all cuttings from friends or clubs.

I was never impressed with the health and vigor of those cutting.
The end product was unimpressive as well.

BUT, I recently received a pack of 10 Chem Dawg beans as a freebie. I grew them all outside in the California sun.

They all matured early.

Planted inside June 1st, planted outside July 10 about 2 feet tall, they got be about 6-7 feet tall when done.

All four were finished between October 1 and 15th.
The smell while growing was mild and seemed rather bland, a little spice maybe, but no skunk at all. They got hung with the rest and forgotten for a bit.

Of the four females one proved to be really exceptional.

She tastes GREAT and is mentally devastating.
I can't believe that a plant with so little smell can taste so great.

I recognized the taste immediately.

It was the good Colombian we were getting in San Francisco back in the seventies.

The first time I tried this girl, I took three good hits. The high was immediate, but kept building, peaking and peaking for the next hour or more.

I was alone in a mountain meadow without another person for miles, relaxing in nature. Mellow as can be.

SUDDENLY, after 3 tokes,

I am having the most paranoid thoughts!

Where is my babysitter? Whaaaa!

In my mind, this is total trip weed. I had gone somewhere else, out of my head, friggin' smashed. I was a nervous, frightened, anti-social, NERD. Who dresses me anyway?

Wow, pretty sure this could be called a terror inducing Sativa, eh?

I promise to take a few bong rips and get back to you later with a second report on the effects.

What good is having a beer to bring you back to earth if you forget to drink it? It's good ballast, ya know?

Xerb
mighty interesting.

do you remember who the breeder of said chem dawg 10 pack of freebies?

i have had some chem crosses put me into outer space, just floored with mental images and sensations. i forget which, maybe tres dawg or stardawg? i had a low tolerance at the time, but it smacked me harder than i had been smacked in a long time. harder than i would have expected, and it was a longlastng high/ stone.

xerb

A most fortunate accident

A most fortunate accident

A few months back I had an accident.
My entire grow was fertilized by an undetected male "Old Timers Haze".

It was extremely slow to show its sex, and when I finally noticed it had - it was too late.

As fortune would have it it was right in front of the fan.

3 zamaldelicas, 3 Golden Tigers, 4 Killer A5 and one Jack the RIPPER, all got a big dose of that pollen. I got 100s of seeds of each. Oh dang!

Here is a picture of the first "Jack the RIPPER x Old Timers Haze" I've grown out.

Wow, I am totally impressed !

Overall, it has a very strong smell and very pine and aromatic, not skunky.

What first hits you is an almost diesel like smell, with fresh cut cedar and the tiniest hint of sweet and sour.

She is heavier than either parent, and finished in about 11 weeks!

and the buzz - WOW! I will give you a more in depth report after doing a little more testing.

Zamal and Tigers and haze, oh my.... Xerb

Post edited to correct a in strain name X

Last edited:

xerb

The Chem/Dawg freebies came from Canada, [email protected]

I tried several indoors and was not impressed, but this last one I grew outside.
I had her in a smallish pot, tucked to the side and did not expect much from her.

Dang! She would have produced 10 times as much if planted in the ground.

xerb

Just a side note, I also got a pack of their Cindy-99.

I have only grown out a few, but I was surprised at the flavor and potency.
But I have moved on, so little time and so much to grow

One of my Golden Tigers is twice as aromatic as the others, so my plan is

1. Burmese seed run

2. Golden Tiger x Old Timers Haze run - looking for the one

I sure have enjoyed the offerings from ACE Seeds - Thanks Guys!

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
it's interesting, i had suspected that there might be some central american sativa in the chem line. i might be crazy, but the high caryophyllene content and the growing structure (the jagged nodal formation especially, but i thought there was some resemblence in other ways with like oaxaca and panama i have seen).

i never said anything cause it was a vague hunch, but if what you got was truly a chem line, it raises my brows ever the moreso. colombian would be really cool.

chems and diesel crosses can be quiet stoney and heavy, but sometimes i get those serious trip highs so i believe that there's gotta be some trip sativa in its line.

thanks for sharing your awesome buds and experiences, very interesting reading.

xerb

Well, I really screwed up - and the mother is...

Well, I really screwed up - and the mother is...

A few months back I had an accident.
My entire grow was fertilized by an undetected male "Old Timers Haze".

It was extremely slow to show its sex, and when I finally noticed it had - it was too late.

As fortune would have it it was right in front of the fan.

3 zamaldelicas, 4 Golden Tigers, 4 Killer A5 all got a big dose of that pollen. I got 1000s of seeds of each. Oh dang!

Here is a picture of the first Zamaldelica x Old Timers Haze I've grown out.

View Image

Wow, I am totally impressed !

Overall, it has a very robust aromatic nose.

What first hits you is an almost diesel like smell, with fresh cut cedar and the tiniest hint of sweet and sour.

She is heavier than either parent, and finished in about 11 weeks!

and the buzz - WOW! I will give you a more in depth report after doing a little more testing.

View Image

Zamal and Tigers and haze, oh my.... Xerb

I really screwed up on the lineage on this bud

I figured that the mother had to be either the Zamaldelica or the Golden Thai, the father being the Old Timer Haze.

Something puzzled be though, I kept wondering how this cross could possibly ripened in 11 weeks. Going back over my notes, there was one other strain growing that I had forgotten about, there was a single Jack the Ripper, and the volunteer came up in that same container where it had been growing.

So, I am almost positive that the mother was Jack the Ripper - not Zamaldelica.

xerb

Zamaldelica vs Golden Tiger

Zamaldelica vs Golden Tiger

I spent all day yesterday communing with the Zamaldelica.

Even in a larger dose I was not impressed. It was a long lasting sativa buzz, but it was kinda ho hum and boring. It just didn't stimulate me.

It does smell very exotic, the muskiest stain I has grown. I haven't given up on her, she can use a few more months of cure.

In the early evening I took 3 big hits of the Golden Tiger (my most Thai pheno) and zoom, I took off like a rocket to the stars! This is much more exciting and way more fun!

Just checked my seed stash, I saved half my GT seeds in reserve! Woohoo!

All three of my females were different phenotypes.

The most Thai leaning was by far the most aromatic.
The heaviest was the least (isn't that always the way).

Here is the Thai Pheno - she would have been heavier if I hadn't pollinated her so heavily.

xerb

Purple Thai

Purple Thai

Gifted to me, this clone was the best tasting pot I have ever grown. The taste was purple! I just can't explain it. The plant was not terribly colorful, but the taste sure was purple.

It was a kind of candied flavor that just coated you mouth.

The plant was extremely hard to clone. I believe it had systemic problems with health, mold, pests, everything. I tried everything, but I finally lost it.

Here are a couple picture of one of the few batches I was able to pull off. Forgive my poor manicuring, if you took off all the leaves, there was almost nothing left.

I would trade my left nut to get this cutting back in a healthy form.

Happy Humpday, Xerb

Last edited: