What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

moose eater

Ya seen Northern Exposure?
Watched it when it first came out.
Had to buy the DVD boxset
And Net fliks has it on and currently watching.
How close is this to the way life is in those villages?

Man I'm telling ya ya got the world by the balls my friend now if your health was better, envy the fuck out of ya.

A few of us from high school were gonna go up there and homestead after graduation, ya know how life goes always throwing in its 2 cents.

Them conditions up there don't bug me one bit
I could survive and flourish up there
-50+f. as a young man simply told me I was alive, with the burn in the back of the throat when splitting wood, sometimes as cold as -65 f.

When wood was the sole source of heat, one could brace for cold periods for a spell by stacking a collection of split wood indoors against the wall, but the wood-stacking wall was only so big in that old cabin.

The last 20+ years, especially with our changing climate up here, I've noted that my fingers and toes no longer appreciate the extreme cold.

And the extreme heat we once got in the summer, up near +100 f. between June and July, no longer appeals to me either.

We've lost most of those extremes, and this is the most -40 f to -50 f. we've had in years.
Just reminds me of how much I don't enjoy it.

If I had my d'ruthers, I'd have been permanently residing on a grassy hill-top on a mountain in rural Nepal, but they don't allow anyone to become an actual citizen there unless born Nepali.

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user
-50+f. as a young man simply told me I was alive, with the burn in the back of the throat when splitting wood, sometimes as cold as -65 f.

When wood was the sole source of heat, one could brace for cold periods for a spell by stacking a collection of split wood indoors against the wall, but the wood-stacking wall was only so big in that old cabin.

The last 20+ years, especially with our changing climate up here, I've noted that my fingers and toes no longer appreciate the extreme cold.

And the extreme heat we once got in the summer, up near +100 f. between June and July, no longer appeals to me either.

We've lost most of those extremes, and this is the most -40 f to -50 f. we've had in years.
Just reminds me of how much I don't enjoy it.

If I had my d'ruthers, I'd have been permanently residing on a grassy hill-top on m mountain in rural Nepal, but they don't allow anyone to become an actual citizen there unless born Nepali.
We have connections to make that happen.
We are international.

jokerman

Premium user
Man or woman.....pick a hole and stay with it......
1706733889600.png

sorry ,just couldnt help it.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I think that I've sussed it now - if someone was to identify as G.I.Joe - then they could reasonably say that they are genderless - so long as the meat 🍖 and 2 veg have been removed - along with the prostate - cowpers gland - and any other male or female bits - probably some nutter out there that's had the full operation - it wouldn't surprise me - at all -

moose eater

NOAA/NWS runs three distinctly separate computer programs to arrive at their forecasts. The more agreement there is between the 3, the more confident of their forecasts they are.

With the changes we've been seeing the last 20-30 years, their predictions are far more widely varying or mistaken than ever before. I suspect the computers are pulling their hair out, if they had any.

Anything further than 24-hours out is Quija Board material, and even in that 24-hour period, it can go way haywire.

But I can recall lying on a military wool blanket at -55 f average for 14-hours, wearing heavy Dutch military wool pants, a -70 f. arctic slope parka, long-johns, a wool sweater, Pendleton wool shirt, mouton wool bomber hat, scarves (plural), and with a 2-qt. Stanley thermos of coffee for 14+ hours, and the then-lodge owner at Lake Louise, who I think had already past his "this isn't fun anymore" phase of life a few years earlier was so impressed with our tenacity that he radio-phoned across the lake the next morning at nearly -60 f. and had some folks across the lake bring a sport-caught lake trout across to the lodge and he fried it in a sort of tempura and jalapeno batter he'd made up.

Never got his recipe, but it was among, if not THE best lake trout preparation I've ever eaten.

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user
I think that I've sussed it now - if someone was to identify as G.I.Joe - then they could reasonably say that they are genderless - so long as the meat 🍖 and 2 veg have been removed - along with the prostate - cowpers gland - and any other male or female bits - probably some nutter out there that's had the full operation - it wouldn't surprise me - at all -
Reminds me of when I played Santa and had this little girl on my lap. I asked her "What would you like for Christmas " She replied " A Barbie and G.I.Joe !"
Santa then said " I thought Barbie came with Ken"
She replied " No ! she fakes it with Ken and comes with G.I. Joe"

moose eater

Report of another missing First Nations/Alaska Native woman in her early 30s missing in Fairbanks. Wasn't dressed for the cold and wearing nearly all black colors.

Last winter, despite community patrols and resources set up, we still lost a couple of homeless folks to the cold.

The missing woman "has no known address of residence", which often translates into "Homeless" or couch-surfing. Yep, even in the sub-arctic and arctic we have some tough, well-weathered varieties of homeless folks.

And in some groups, or in some situations, either human-generated dirty deeds or Mother Nature can be a bitch.

Correction: She's 29-years-old. Very attractive young Native woman.