What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
It's about one year - since I was diagnosed to have a leaking heart valve - and finally my phone rings - and they want to see me at St Thomas's hospital - up near to Westminster - Central London - its not for the open heart surgery just yet - they just want to do an ECG - and other tests it seems - pre-surgery - but it's a start - because St Thomas's will be the hospital where I will receive this surgery - and has a world renowned cardiology department apparently - 6th February is my appointment -

This is all new to me having a major internal surgery - 1st time virgin - so I'll try and enjoy it as a new experience - and once it's fixed and healed - I should be back to my old self - and be able to train a little harder again -
* here is a link to a small video about my condition -

Since I don't have any other co-morbidities - and am generally fit and well - this operation should be routine and relatively easy to recover from - I'm just wondering when it might be scheduled -

The scariest part to me is the cathater.

jokerman

Premium user
Inlaws are inbound for birthday festivities as Mrs Hash and I are a few days apart... Yaaaaaay. 😅😅😅😅😅😅 Must...prepare...appropriately...hidden gifts are at the ready... Cheers all. Be back around after the fun dies down. 😀😆

View media item 18716101
I'll be willin...to be dabbin'.... haha
Happy Birthday to you and your Mrs!
We were going to chip in for a present but no one showed up at church Sunday.
They do that around collection time ,but never miss spaghetti nights on Wednesdays .

moose eater

It's about one year - since I was diagnosed to have a leaking heart valve - and finally my phone rings - and they want to see me at St Thomas's hospital - up near to Westminster - Central London - its not for the open heart surgery just yet - they just want to do an ECG - and other tests it seems - pre-surgery - but it's a start - because St Thomas's will be the hospital where I will receive this surgery - and has a world renowned cardiology department apparently - 6th February is my appointment -

This is all new to me having a major internal surgery - 1st time virgin - so I'll try and enjoy it as a new experience - and once it's fixed and healed - I should be back to my old self - and be able to train a little harder again -
* here is a link to a small video about my condition -

Since I don't have any other co-morbidities - and am generally fit and well - this operation should be routine and relatively easy to recover from - I'm just wondering when it might be scheduled -

My opinion, 2 biggest risks in surgery are post-op infections and anesthetic OD or reaction. Both can be serious.

Get a good Doc with a good track record and independent reviews, and pray they weren't partying hard and late the night before the fact.

I've frequently told folks that surgery is a controlled stabbing of sorts, even arthroscopic, and the body often takes a dim view of being stabbed.

I was once given the option of being knocked out for a procedure, versus being awake but numb. I told the Doc with a twinkle in my eye that he'd best knock me out, as my autonomic reflex when most folks approached me with a blade was to shoot them.

moose eater

The scariest part to me is the cathater.
I'm moderately allergic to latex, and when they had me on death's door with the abdominal post-op infections... 7 of them... they had a latex catheter in me. Among other tubes exiting my body.

Close to a month of blood and debris in the effluent from that latex catheter, and bladder/abdominal pain resulting from that.

My urologist (from his own clinic), accessed the hospital one night and told me, "I went all ninja for you, and scarfed this (silicone catheter) from the inventory storage closet."

I laughed at how human that guy was. A beautiful person, one among a few.

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user
My opinion, 2 biggest risks in surgery are post-op infections and anesthetic OD or reaction. Both can be serious.

Get a good Doc with a good track record and independent reviews, and pray they weren't partying hard and late the night before the fact.

I've frequently told folks that surgery is a controlled stabbing of sorts, even arthroscopic, and the body often takes a dim view of being stabbed.

I was once given the option of being knocked out for a procedure, versus being awake but numb. I told the Doc with a twinkle in my eye that he'd best knock me out, as my autonomic reflex when most folks approached me with a blade was to shoot them.
My first surgery happened to me when I was one day old.
They gave me the surgery they give boys at that age.
After that I didn't walk for over 11 months.
Feel short changed so to speak.

moose eater

My first surgery happened to me when I was one day old.
They gave me the surgery they give boys at that age.
After that I didn't walk for over 11 months.
Feel short changed so to speak.
We let both our sons keep theirs intact. I figured that if anyone was going to engage in genital mutilation on them, it ought not be us giving the green light. Might violate that whole trust thing right outa' the gate.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

My brother in-law had this same Mitral valve fix last year - at the same hospital - he's almost 80 - and all healed up and relatively well - says he doesn't have any problems with his heart now - so maybe I should request the surgeon he had - to perform the surgery on me? - if that's at all possible -

I don't think that they would allow guns in the operating theatre here - so they have nothing to fear from me - and yeah - I'd rather be knocked out when they open me up too -
- Mind you - it would be rather novel and macabre to see your own heart ❤️ beating as they are working on it -

jokerman

Premium user
My Aunt Betty
1706556092797.png

moose eater

My brother in-law had this same Mitral valve fix last year - at the same hospital - he's almost 80 - and all healed up and relatively well - says he doesn't have any problems with his heart now - so maybe I should request the surgeon he had - to perform the surgery on me? - if that's at all possible -

I don't think that they would allow guns in the operating theatre here - so they have nothing to fear from me - and yeah - I'd rather be knocked out when they open me up too -
- Mind you - it would be rather novel and macabre to see your own heart ❤️ beating as they are working on it -
Can you talk to the tech programmer here about adding a 'yikes!' emoji?

jokerman

Premium user

" There are things in life ,I don't need to know" : joeb631a

moose eater

I'd recommend hiring a PI for a week or 2 before the procedure and finding out how often the Doc buys alcohol or visits the pub. That'd be the final Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval moment.. or not.

Latest posts

Latest posts