What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Sun&Soil

That's awesome @Putembk
After reading your past posts I figured you were a fellow tier.

I knew your eyes aren't what they once were and wondered if that kept you from spinning the bobbin. Glad to see it hasn't!

I have tied few dryflies, but many nymphs, streamers, and steelhead flies. It's been awhile, but after seeing you at it I might just dig out my kit and see what I still have for materials.

Africanna

That's awesome @Putembk

I knew your eyes aren't what they once were and wondered if that kept you from spinning the bobbin. Glad to see it hasn't!

I have tied few dryflies, but many nymphs, streamers, and steelhead flies. It's been awhile, but after seeing you at it I might just dig out my kit and see what I still have for materials.
Sounds like good therapy and an acquired skill.

We'll be at the beach house next month and I'll wet a line in the surf and estuary - good for the soul

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
That's awesome @Putembk

For over 30 years I tied almost every night after work. Today was the first time in .......damn....a long time. Since I quit tying for the local fly shops I have collected quite a stash. Unfortunately my time now days is dedicated to the garden in the basement.

Tying flies and growing are both satisfying. At least for me. It totally relaxes me. Fly fishing is much the same. Once you are out on the water all my troubles melted away.

One spring years ago on a Monday I got an order for a gross of Blue Winged Olives by the weekend. That is 144 in 5 days. That wasn't relaxing and I will never take that on again.

If you fly fished in Colorado In the late 80's or 90's you have probably fished with my flies.

moose eater

For over 30 years I tied almost every night after work. Today was the first time in .......damn....a long time. Since I quit tying for the local fly shops I have collected quite a stash. Unfortunately my time now days is dedicated to the garden in the basement.

Tying flies and growing are both satisfying. At least for me. It totally relaxes me. Fly fishing is much the same. Once you are out on the water all my troubles melted away.

One spring years ago on a Monday I got an order for a gross of Blue Winged Olives by the weekend. That is 144 in 5 days. That wasn't relaxing and I will never take that on again.

If you fly fished in Colorado In the late 80's or 90's you have probably fished with my flies.
I've had a nice fly reel and decent rod for a long time now, many years, but never learned how.

My oldest son took fly fishing as part of his phys. ed. in high school, so he's offered to teach me, though, despite his relatively youthful age, his follow-through is often slower than mine is as an aged oldster.

Decades ago, at a very productive spot for grayling off the Chena River, we'd do what I referred to as 'cheater's fly fishing', and we'd tie a fly on, put a bobber (for weight and flotation) maybe 6-8 feet up the line from the fly, and spin-cast out into the water.

We'd catch -almost- as many as the folks who were fly fishing, but with nearly zero of their art form, grace, style, or class.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Hi SG. No, they become part of the mix for the next grow.

The root tea sounds interesting - do elaborate
Cannabis roots can be boiled to create a powerful tea. This tea will be significantly more bitter than tea made with leaves or flowers. Adding a little fat to the tea while brewing (via milk, coconut oil, etc.) may potentially help release some of the fat-soluble terpenes and ketones present in cannabis roots. Though, a plain tea is also thought to be beneficial.

so they say on the internet anyways…🥹

Sun&Soil

I've always had Walleye fishing run deep in my blood. When I went to forestry school one of the professors offered a class twice a month in the evenings. For 2 dollars we were provided the materials and he would teach us one pattern to work on per class.

Before I knew it I had a large collection of flies and decided to buy a rod to go with them. I can't say fly-fishing became my go to, but it was fun to change up the scenery and pace of lake fishing.

I occasionally take the rod down and catch largemouth and sunnies with it off my dock. Mostly Whooly Buggers and leach patterns.

20240128_134328.jpg

It's a shitty pic, but here are my 5 and 8(chinook) weights. I want to own a 3 for my adk hikes some day.

Mr_Hash

mhmm.jpg
haha.gif
trout.jpg

I'm one of those classless ultralight tackle trout people.😆 Inline spinners and sinking minnow imitations are a sure thing. Small crawfish crankbait for muddy water. 😉

I like to watch the fly fisherman being all elegant and precise...as I pull my limit in and head home haha. I've done it a few times, but fly rods aren't my choice of weapon to bring to the fight. I totally understand and respect it though.

I chase Striper and big cats mostly...but ya can't beat fresh trout on the grill.

Sun&Soil

View attachment 18952052 View attachment 18952053 View attachment 18952054
I'm one of those classless ultralight tackle trout people.😆 Inline spinners and sinking minnow imitations are a sure thing. Small crawfish crankbait for muddy water. 😉

I like to watch the fly fisherman being all elegant and precise...as I pull my limit in and head home haha. I've done it a few times, but fly rods aren't my choice of weapon to bring to the fight. I totally understand and respect it though.

I chase Striper and big cats mostly...but ya can't beat fresh trout on the grill.

Yeah buddy!

20200710_173826.jpg

or wrapped in bacon over your campfire coals in the mountains.

I knew I loved this clubhouse!

Africanna

View attachment 18952052 View attachment 18952053 View attachment 18952054

Light tackle is my way

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i tie streamers for smallmouth, hybrids and stripers, and nymphs for trout, but my eyesight isn't up to the challenge of tying tiny dry flies, even with the cute little magnifying glass available. :confused: i CAN break rocks, however, lol. anyone out there in obsidian country wanting to make some $$$, i'd buy a box of rocks and pay postage. damn little flint here (nearly all is in a protected area of a local park where Paleo tribesmen quarried) and good chert is hard to find.