What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Sun&Soil

I recycle the soil into my outdoor veggie garden. Then spray the pots and overflow trays down with a garden hose. Then I bring them inside and wash them with soap and water by the drain in my basement.
That's cool @Putembk I was starting to feel like a loner out here in the land of growing. I cycle my soil back and forth between the raised beds outdoors and my dungeon grows. It doesn't seem to be very common.

Sun&Soil

Good plan. Growing long flowering plants in the northeast sucks. I tried to grow some Freakshow plants outside here in Massachusetts but Mother Nature shortened up the growing season on me…
I had an AK47 that was pollinated by a careless neighbor decades ago. What I thought was a tragedy actually turned into a gem.

Those seeds produced a great line that tends to do exceptionally well with my questionable Falls. I have kept it going for 20plus years and has been my primary go to. Friends interested in breeding have crossed it several times and I'll grow those out aswell. Those have done well with the crappy Falls too.

About 3 years ago I discovered fems and a whole new world of cannabis cultivars. I've branched out since and haven't gone back to that AK47 x ?.

My seed stock is low and I need to do a seed run to conserve it, but I can't seem to get away from trying all of these new cultivars.

20201003_112105.jpg

This picture is from the last time I grew it. 4 summers ago I think? Man time goes by quick.

Mrs S&S finds it to be too gassy for her tastes and the buzz knocks her on her ass. She's not a lightweight by any means, but this particular line gets to her. I think that's the subconscious reason behind me trying all of these new cultivars.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I have a mountain outback of used pro mix soil. The pile is 24 years old and will be used for repotting other plants this spring… the soil used to be the cheapest part of growing, and now it has become a quite expensive element…
I just spent $180 at the grow store. I bought a bag of perlite I really didn't need which would have saved a bunch of coin but the finally had #3! They have only had #4 recently......I like #3 a lot better do I jumped at the chance to get it.

@BIG, when you grew with 100% perlite how did you get rid of all that?

oldfogey8

I had an AK47 that was pollinated by a careless neighbor decades ago. What I thought was a tragedy actually turned into a gem.

Those seeds produced a great line that tends to do exceptionally well with my questionable Falls. I have kept it going for 20plus years and has been my primary go to. Friends interested in breeding have crossed it several times and I'll grow those out aswell. Those have done well with the crappy Falls too.

About 3 years ago I discovered fems and a whole new world of cannabis cultivars. I've branched out since and haven't gone back to that AK47 x ?.

My seed stock is low and I need to do a seed run to conserve it, but I can't seem to get away from trying all of these new cultivars.

View attachment 18951972

This picture is from the last time I grew it. 4 summers ago I think? Man time goes by quick.

Mrs S&S finds it to be too gassy for her tastes and the buzz knocks her on her ass. She's not a lightweight by any means, but this particular line gets to her. I think that's the subconscious reason behind me trying all of these new cultivars.
Love the purple.

Sun&Soil

@bigsur51 aren't you living in the prairies? Your native soil has got to be top notch stuff loaded with all sorts of healthy goodness.

I'm totally ignorant as I've never been out that way and experienced it myself, but I have to imagine all of that self feeding prairies do, you have yourself a great resource for your base.

moose eater

I recycle the soil into my outdoor veggie garden. Then spray the pots and overflow trays down with a garden hose. Then I bring them inside and wash them with soap and water by the drain in my basement.
Like the others, even after converting to volcanic pumice, and despite criticisms from living soil folks, I also tend to dump my used mixes into the produce gardens outside. Usually into the potato field, but sometimes into the raised beds.

We also run a decent size compost bin with a secondary compost area for when the primary is nearly converted, and from the secondary the stuff goes into the other gardens.

Those protocols and using older bulk organics from the cannabis that I have lost interest in has provided us with some stellar spuds.

Last edited:

Sun&Soil

Love the purple.
It tends to grow with sporadic purpling and cranberry colors. It is also splotches or spotty and not a consistent coloring.
It can be amended ad infinitum and will continue to improve.
Stay away from the salts, keep the roots in the soil after harvest and watch it get better grow after grow. That's how I garden.

moose eater

For what it's worth, I haven't knapped for awhile, because of all the little conchoidal fractured razor sharp divots of chert or obsidian that are left behind when knapping. You can't do that just anywhere without leaving a hazard.

Also worthy of note, is that the little razor sharp divots will go right through a leather glove, so that the pad that I ended up using was made of Moose hide, which they don't readily cut through.
A long-time friend in the Yukon Territory makes his own arrow points from black rock we find on the beaches there out near the NW area of Taggish Lake, near the Carcross Narrows. He uses them with the recurve bow he made.

Some of the rock on the shoreline just SE of the Taggish Narrows is sharp enough that if you land a soft-skinned boat on shore or fall when landing, it can get a bit gruesome. When fracturing the rocks to make points, along the fracture line edge can be as sharp as any razor.

Last edited:

moose eater

It can be amended ad infinitum and will continue to improve.
I'd read (and somewhat practiced very briefly) that the reuse of any used (higher salts) soils/mixes can be made more successful with alfalfa meal being added as both a buffer and nutrient source when reconditioning.

But I also would suspect that a pile left outside to age, getting precipitation, age, etc. would naturally lower the existing salts from previous uses.

oldfogey8

A long-time friend in the Yukon Territory makes his own arrow points from black rock we find on the beaches there out near the NW area of Taggish Lake, near the Carcross Narrows. He uses them with the recurve bow he made.

Some of the rock on the shoreline just SE of the Taggish narrows is sharp enough that if you land a soft-skinned boat on shore or fall when landing, it can get a bit gruesome. When fracturing the rocks to make points, along the fracture line edge can be as sharp as any razor.