What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I've just asked Ai... 🤣
0_0.png
Wonder what’s in the bottle. Gummies?

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Batman used to drink buttermilk on the Adam West version of the show. My sister and I whined to our grandmother that we wanted to drink buttermilk like Batman did. She told us we wouldn’t like it but bought a small carton anyway. She was right. It was horrible. I get she got a good chuckle bout of the looks on our faces when we tried it.😂
I bet you’re not the only kids that wanted to try it 😂

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Hello OF, when I was a little fellow I remember making butter with my grandparents. Taking the center pole handle and lifting it up and down rapidly to turn the creamy milk into butter; and buttermilk was what was leftover. I remember liking it.
I love buttermilk. It’s on my grocery list whenever I’m out. I use it for cooking mostly like biscuits or cornbread but can drink a glass now and then too especially with some salty country ham they enjoy in these parts.

oldfogey8

Hello OF, when I was a little fellow I remember making butter with my grandparents. Taking the center pole handle and lifting it up and down rapidly to turn the creamy milk into butter; and buttermilk was what was leftover. I remember liking it.
I think that was what buttermilk was at one point but I read somewhere that now they make it from milk and some sort of acidic additive. If I recall correctly, the stuff my grandmother gave us was pretty sour. We made butter with my gram as well but used her mixing stand not a churn. I thought the liquid left over from making butter was called whey too.

oldfogey8

I think that was what buttermilk was at one point but I read somewhere that now they make it from milk and some sort of acidic additive. If I recall correctly, the stuff my grandmother gave us was pretty sour. We made butter with my gram as well but used her mixing stand not a churn. I thought the liquid left over from making butter was called whey too.
More than anyone wants to know about buttermilk…

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made a lot of butter growing up on the farm, with both a churn and a simple canning jar. Our Jersey cow produced about 7 gallons a day when she was fresh, extremely high in butter fat.

I also hand cranked a lot of ice cream.

We drank some buttermilk but mostly used it in baking.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Surgeon visit yesterday and a CT with contrast and an EKG first. New procedure to me with the EKG at the same time. I'd have shaved my chest if I'd have known. Not only the sticky sensors but an 8-inch strip of tape on top of each of them. Rip that hair out...... Arggggggggg

Implant looks great and I'll see you in a year. WOOHOO. He pointed to the cane and said is that all you are using? Yepp I says. I didn't think you'd recover that much this fast he says. Again WOOHOO!

oldmaninbc

420club
I made a lot of butter growing up on the farm, with both a churn and a simple canning jar. Our Jersey cow produced about 7 gallons a day when she was fresh, extremely high in butter fat.

I also hand cranked a lot of ice cream.

We drank some buttermilk but mostly used it in baking.
Yep, when I was young I grew up on a small family homestead with no electricity, everything was done by hand. One room schoolhouse, pot belly stove in the center and each row a grade, outhouse as well.
I remember my gramps having a crank car.

It was like culture shock when I was forced to move from the country to the city at a later time.

I hope you enjoyed your early country years as I did.🐖🐓🦃🪿🐣

oldmaninbc

420club
Well the rabbits ate most of the purple cabbage I planted the day before yesterday. I had some wire in the shed so I cut some down and put around the little space. It’s just enough to keep honest rabbits honest tho. Got the broccoli planted in the other bed which already had a rabbit fence. Tired now, taking a smoke break.
View attachment 19082706 View attachment 19082707
Your a woman with perseverance Sub, I don't think I fully grasp your growing season? I see those are cold weather plants, do they reach full maturity?

oldmaninbc

420club
I guess whey can be a byproduct of cheese making.
I do know whey is important for commercial uses.

I recall the buttermilk having bits of butter in it.

I can remember bits and pieces back to when I was 3-4 years old my gramps told me at onetime. Now I am lucky if I can remember something from 5 minutes ago.:)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, when I was young I grew up on a small family homestead with no electricity, everything was done by hand. One room schoolhouse, pot belly stove in the center and each row a grade, outhouse as well.
I remember my gramps having a crank car.

It was like culture shock when I was forced to move from the country to the city at a later time.

I hope you enjoyed your early country years as I did.🐖🐓🦃🪿🐣
I didn't love some of it but was glad for the overall experience, which was instrumental to my later success.

We had power and indoor plumbing, though both of my grandparents had outhouses. I hand cranked some of our tractors, but our cars all had electric start.

I did have a 1959 Renault Dauphine that the tire tool doubled as a hand crank, which I used to get it started with a dead battery a couple of times.

We moved to town my junior year of high school.

oldmaninbc

420club
We have city busses in our area. The closest stop is about a mile from my house. Have never rode in them but always wondered. The busses even have a bike rack on the front. I’m still getting use to city life but wonder how many folks use them and if they are safe and clean and where they go…
When I first moved from Ontario to BC, I didn't drive. I use to take 4 buses in the morning to get to work and 3 in late afternoon to get home with an added walk, 7 buses a day. It was ok but I am not so sure I would have kept it up for any length of time. I met a future friend at my work and later drove with him, as they lived close to me.