What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I think that was what buttermilk was at one point but I read somewhere that now they make it from milk and some sort of acidic additive. If I recall correctly, the stuff my grandmother gave us was pretty sour. We made butter with my gram as well but used her mixing stand not a churn. I thought the liquid left over from making butter was called whey too.
Buttermilk is pretty sour and thick too. We always called whey what was left after straining the cheese.
we made butter by shaking a jar with a thingy in it

oldmaninbc

420club
I didn't love some of it but was glad for the overall experience, which was instrumental to my later success.

We had power and indoor plumbing, though both of my grandparents had outhouses. I hand cranked some of our tractors, but our cars all had electric start.

I did have a 1959 Renault Dauphine that the tire tool doubled as a hand crank, which I used to get it started with a dead battery a couple of times.

We moved to town my junior year of high school.
One day when leaving for the school bus about a 1/4 mile walk, I dawdled and missed the bus. There was some horse loggers using a sleigh to move logs in the vicinity of where the bus stopped by a creek. They asked me if I wouldn't mind getting on their sleigh and they would take me through the forest block and come out the other side where my one room schoolhouse was.
Would a parent let their child do that in todays world? That's a good memory.
Plus I got the strap grade 3 or 4 for throwing a rock and giving a big bully stiches in his forehead, his family were friends of my grandparents. I got the strap twice!

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I guess whey can be a byproduct of cheese making.
I do know whey is important for commercial uses.

I recall the buttermilk having bits of butter in it.

I can remember bits and pieces back to when I was 3-4 years old my gramps told me at onetime. Now I am lucky if I can remember something from 5 minutes ago.:)
I think the stuff when you strain yogurt is called whey too. I strain a lot of yogurt too. I don’t use the whey but it can also be used in baking

Yarddog

Evening folks. Still didn’t get my. Good 30.06 sighted in. Same old four inch pattern. Has new scope and used two different brands of ammo. I need to shoot a different weight and see if that’s the issue. And after that I’d try new scope rings. The bore of the barrel is shiny with sharp rifling so I don’t think there is an issue there. I did get my crappy 30.06 adjusted. It’s a turd, but groups very well. At least I have something to shoot with next weekend when season opens. Split some firewood after that. Fixing to run to town and get one of those hand crafted dominoes pizzas 😂

oldmaninbc

420club
I like them thin with crispy edges
I like mine thick and fluffy with a nice cook to them.

I use to work at a historic site down the road. The mayor and volunteer fireman/women would come to the site and put on a pancake breakfast once a summer. Big turnout always, I think that's where I had my first lessons in pancake making.
I would mostly order pancakes/french toast at the local restaurant where I lived for30 years. Now I make my own buttermilk pancakes.

OleReynard

Evening folks. Still didn’t get my. Good 30.06 sighted in. Same old four inch pattern. Has new scope and used two different brands of ammo. I need to shoot a different weight and see if that’s the issue. And after that I’d try new scope rings. The bore of the barrel is shiny with sharp rifling so I don’t think there is an issue there. I did get my crappy 30.06 adjusted. It’s a turd, but groups very well. At least I have something to shoot with next weekend when season opens. Split some firewood after that. Fixing to run to town and get one of those hand crafted dominoes pizzas 😂
I like to use my Workmate for sighting in rifles.
A guns got to have a heavy fore end like a bull barrel for me to hold it steady.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I like mine thick and fluffy with a nice cook to them.

I use to work at a historic site down the road. The mayor and volunteer fireman/women would come to the site and put on a pancake breakfast once a summer. Big turnout always, I think that's where I had my first lessons in pancake making.
I would mostly order pancakes/french toast at the local restaurant where I lived for30 years. Now I make my own buttermilk pancakes.
I think I’m going with waffles instead

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Here's my vegetable lasagna just need to let it cool down
IMG_20241012_183444896.jpg