What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
The Jeep key fob lock function just failed and we only got the one, plus the lock function failed on one of the Ford key fobs, and when I checked at the dealership they wanted $250 for the fob and $100 each to program them.

I just picked up three Jeep fobs and a programmer, as well as a Ford fob for $112 on Amazon, and found a video on how to program the Ford fobs without a programmer.

Who would have thunk? You have to have two existing fobs for it to work, but you put the two working fobs in the car and instert the new fob in the programming pocket in console box.

Then you hit the drivers door unlock button three times, the brake petal once, the lock button three times, the brake petal once, and the flashing starter button once. You then remove the fob from the programming pocket and press lock and then unlock on the fob to finish the programming,
The manufacturer does that on purpose so you have to take it into the dealership to have the fob programmed.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The manufacturer does that on purpose so you have to take it into the dealership to have the fob programmed.
The Ford dual key requirement to program a third is promoted as a method to keep valet services from duplicating keys for later use.

If you don't have two working keys it certainly lines the dealership pockets, or that of an automotive locksmith, who are spendy, but typically cheaper than the dealership.

I had to buy a programmer for the Jeep/Chrysler smart fob and my bet is that most people stop short of finding the fobs and programmer online, which opens the window of opportunity for the sneaky and nefarious dealership/locksmith cabal.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
453874982_476328881995746_2188580232538943018_n.jpg

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
The Jeep key fob lock function just failed and we only got the one, plus the lock function failed on one of the Ford key fobs, and when I checked at the dealership they wanted $250 for the fob and $100 each to program them.

I just picked up three Jeep fobs and a programmer, as well as a Ford fob for $112 on Amazon, and found a video on how to program the Ford fobs without a programmer.

Who would have thunk? You have to have two existing fobs for it to work, but you put the two working fobs in the car and instert the new fob in the programming pocket in console box.

Then you hit the drivers door unlock button three times, the brake petal once, the lock button three times, the brake petal once, and the flashing starter button once. You then remove the fob from the programming pocket and press lock and then unlock on the fob to finish the programming,
The key fobs too. Were they in the house when you did the blessing?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amazing that both fobs decided to stop functioning nearly at the same time. Go figure, eh. Hopefully, Skunk Factory ingenuity, & a few manufacturer (hidden) programming tasks, will do the trick. Best of luck to you in your endeavor.
The Ford fob lock function failed several years ago, and we just use the other fob. You can lock the doors manually.

The Jeep fob just failed, and we only have the one fob, motivating my lazy butt to action.

Thanks for the good wishes!