What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
My school mornings were significantly different: I'd get up inna dark, go down to the local golf course, and check my muskrat traps. If there was a muskrat, I'd club it with my shillelagh. Took 'em home to skin and stretch after school. $1.50/skin.
You lucky - lucky man - we never had muskrats when we were kids - I had to do a full week delivering newspapers - around 14 hours plus - to earn the measly sum of £1 (that's about $1.30 these days) -

oldmaninbc

I have had five hernia repairs , mesh , 3 by the military and two civilian operations….my side hurts every day….who gives a shit?…not the military that is for damn sure

wanna see what grassshoppers do to cannabis?…this is why one needs either 50 chickens or a big greenhouse

they girdle the branches , strip all the bark off….death follows

View attachment 19041606

View attachment 19041607

View attachment 19041600
Hello big, I have seen first hand what grasshoppers can do and how fast they can do it. I had to give up a prime growing spot one time. I could not control the grasshoppers. They won, the plants and I lost.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Hello big, I have seen first hand what grasshoppers can do and how fast they can do it. I had to give up a prime growing spot one time. I could not control the grasshoppers. They won, the plants and I lost.
Just wait till their big brothers - THE LOCUSTS - show up -

1722532817147.jpeg

oldmaninbc

Punctuality - an endangered concept - and if you try and instill it within a young person/son daughter - they behave as if you were from the Waffen SS - Islamic battalion - with insinuations of dictatorial behaviour - cheeky kids -

I learned about punctuality - by doing an early morning paper round - from 10 years old - I had to be at the newsagents on the Ewell Road - bang on 5.30am - 7 mornings every week - so had to be at least conscious by 5.00am - brush teeth - throw clothing on - and get on me bicycle - rain 🌧 - wind - snow ❄️ - or sunshine 🌞 - usually leaving home when it was pitch dark - before dawn - most all of the year - and cycling to the newsagents shop - to collect a very heavy bag of newspapers and magazines - to deliver by 7.30am - giving me enough time to get home - eat some breakfast - clean up and change into school uniform - then cycle to school for 8.30am start 😀

Kids can't get jobs as newspaper delivery operatives no more - so they tell me - the paper - newspaper is apparently a very endangered thing - so not many people want one every morning to read at breakfast - it's all online - at the touch of a smart phone screen -
Soon Gypsy you will be from a bygone era, we either keep up or get out of the way.

I have to agree about punctuality, it's important. I had an employer one time who found it not to be a problem for him to keep you waiting as if your time had no importance. He was a nice fellow but as an employer not so much when it came to another persons time.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
So did I until the media started lying to us. I quit reading the paper years ago. Mrs Pute and I read the paper together for over 40 years.

Today I am very picky about the source of news I read ..... so is Mrs Pute.

Almost all newspapers either are going broke or already are. Did it to themselves by taking sides.....Hard for most any business to chase off half of the country and still stay in business.....then the Internet came along.

Boom.....
Well theres still the funny section and the puzzles. 😂🤣

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Soon Gypsy you will be from a bygone era, we either keep up or get out of the way.

I have to agree about punctuality, it's important. I had an employer one time who found it not to be a problem for him to keep you waiting as if your time had no importance. He was a nice fellow but as an employer not so much when it came to another persons time.
I'm already from a bygone era oldman - I'm just having problems trying to adapt to whatever this new era is - lots of things I don't particularly like - but then you still gotta roll with it - or just ignore it completely - I 'spose -

Unca Walt

420club
I just got off the phone with Boo. Crazy barstid is working maintaining barbed wire fence lines, etc. Dutch is getting by, with Boo watching all the time.

And I ain't gonna rat on him about what he plans to do with some giant oak trees. He's gotta tell you hisself. It's as hard to swallow as a Vaseline sandwich, but he's gonna fargin do it...

The boy shames me. I have to admit I inherited the "sloth and indolence" gene. And I have developed it nicely.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Well theres still the funny section and the puzzles. 😂🤣
Unfortunately I never read the comics and was never into puzzles. They don't even have a fishing report anymore....FFS! Internet killed the classified section. Hard to believe but I used to spend over $20,000 a month advertising in the Automobile section. Everything switched to the internet practically overnight.

The Denver Post hardly has any local news anymore.....all comes from the Associated Press. Sports....internet it up to the minute news.....paper everything is yesterday's news......

Boom.....

The actual news is what they want us to hear.....not what is really going on.....what a shame.

oldmaninbc

You lucky - lucky man - we never had muskrats when we were kids - I had to do a full week delivering newspapers - around 14 hours plus - to earn the measly sum of £1 (that's about $1.30 these days) -
Same here, had the daily Mercury I delivered before school and on Saturday the weekend edition. Pocket money was about it. I delivered the weekend edition to this mansion on the edge of town, it had a very long driveway and there was always the possibility I would encounter yellowjackets. The owner could give a crap if I was attacked, all for a shiny dime.
In later years I worked as a bellhop in his hotel.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Unfortunately I never read the comics and was never into puzzles. They don't even have a fishing report anymore....FFS! Internet killed the classified section. Hard to believe but I used to spend over $20,000 a month advertising in the Automobile section. Everything switched to the internet practically overnight.

The Denver Post hardly has any local news anymore.....all comes from the Associated Press. Sports....internet it up to the minute news.....paper everything is yesterday's news......

Boom.....

The actual news is what they want us to hear.....not what is really going on.....what a shame.

IMG_9007.jpeg

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Therein lies the problem.....news today isn't about factual reporting it is his opinion......there is a section for that it's called Editorial both in print and broadcast media.

This guy is about to tell you what he, his boss and the politicians want you to hear. If you listen closely and look around close you can tell he is shoveling BS. The Border is a good example.....I am told it is closed but when I look at Down Town Denver my common since tells me something is not quite right.

1722538094911.png

jokerman

Premium user
At 16 ,and could not stand working for my Father started working in a spot-welding shop.
Made $1.75 a hour working like beavers to make $
We burned our hands so so much we got used to it.
If we had a 3 day weekend we would work 16 hours a day for 3 days to make $ and buy real shitty weed at first
Place went on fire

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
At 16 ,and could not stand working for my Father started working in a spot-welding shop.
Made $1.75 a hour working like beavers to make $
We burned our hands so so much we got used to it.
If we had a 3 day weekend we would work 16 hours a day for 3 days to make $ and buy real shitty weed at first
Place went on fire
I remember working for that and less. In HS I worked at the local Grocery Store as a stock boy. Pay was next to nothing. Then I worked as a life guard during the summer.....$1.50/hr. Then at gas stations......60 hr weeks for $100 a month.

My first real job was at Schofield Bros Pontiac in Wichita for $3.50 flat rate....thought I had died and went to heaven.

I remember the weed being pretty good if you could get around the stems and seeds. That was over 50 years ago.

Today I work my azz off for nothing.....Wondering what happened.

Oh, almost forgot the United States Army. When first drafted I made $35 a month. What a country.

Latest posts

Latest posts