What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

ost

Wanted to post this while it was still available. People with loose screws will unfortunately likely always be out there. I guess that comes with freedom. And, as we know, it comes with a price. No one deserves to go before their time.
that kid knew he wouldn't walk away!

ost

Well, kinda "and"... since Witchie-Poo was there with me.

OK, you triggered a funny story: There was an open-air, all-kindsa stuff-market on the main drag in Maggie Valley about 20 years ago. I went snooping in an antique section.

There on the table amongst a bunch of old stuff was a plumb bob.
View attachment 19032383
It was a perfect duplicate to the one I useta use when I worked surveying. I picked it up and showed the Red Witch: "Look -- same as mine."

The antique dealer says, "You know what that is? What is it?"

That's the first time I felt a little old.
surly u didn't tell the dealer the whole storie

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Smoky nutz today but only 80 so.........need some snow.
IMG_20240727_115330_2.jpg

oldmaninbc

I carried a plumb bob and gammon reel for decades surveying.
Those times are long dead and gone now as tech has expanded like so many other trades.
Hello dogzter, I use to work for a friend who got contracts with the Forestry Dept. the work was called traversing. Before a logging block was logged and after it was logged we would go in with what they called a chain & compass and we would mark out the area with ribbons. We did other types of work for Forestry as well. It was a good paying work and I love being out in nature.

Now they use satellites.

BrassNwood

Veteran
You have been busy
I do that 4 times a year SubGirl or I did. All I fear I'm up for on the 1st will be sticking the shoots into the cubes. I'm going to need help for most of a full day getting the cloning done and the plants sprayed. I just hope come mid Oct I'm near fully recovered and can get the full show done alone.

That is one of the 4 big weeks where I harvest, trim, hang, get the previous set out of the jars and shaken down. The then current stuff goes into the just emptied jars, Hash gets shaken and another few hundred capsules get made.

This whole dead leg deal wasn't in my wheelhouse at all........

Unca Walt

420club
when web and such is down the old way will settle line problems
Except there is not only skill, but knowledge necessary. It was an art form. The equipment had not changed radically for hundreds of years.

The company I worked for had a transit -- a Buff&Buff that was beautifully engraved from the 1800's. Worked the same as the day it was built. Knowing to hold your leg behind the string of the plumb bob so the transitman can find and focus on it...

Knowing how to buck a scope in between two distant points... Knowing how to semaphore numbers instantly. Tons of stuff.

The guy on Oak Island curdles my sperm with jealousy; a task that would take a 3-man team four days takes him four fargin seconds and he never will make a mistake!

The bottom line is: Just like we no longer have farm animals for power, we no longer have knowledge of an art form that is many thousands of years old. Getting it back is possible, but if there is no Web... the civilization you enjoy at this exact moment will have ceased to exist.

Latest posts

Latest posts