What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed. Any job you need to actually be there to do, like all the trades, have far more job security than ‘pushing a pencil’ since the cushy jobs can be outsourced or done by a computer/AI. Robotics could affect the trades eventually as well but it will be difficult to program all of the permutations that arise in many hands-on careers. A robot can tighten a bolt but is unlikely to be able to identify that the bolt is securing a rusted out flange on a pipe for example. The garbage soft degrees colleges are selling are a money grab. Training in a trade or getting a technical degree and working hard more importantly is where the money is going forward.
I've been retired about one generation (20 yrs) and before retirement saw changes in the attitude and perspective of the MECOP engineering students whom we hired for the summer their junior and senior years and paid them full entry level wages.

We assigned them projects and mentored them to give them a taste of reality while holding their hand to ensure their success.

What I noticed a generation ago is that the engineering students were less and less inclined to go out and look to see what reality was, and more inclined to sit at their desk and rely on their computer.

A problem if using design blueprints showing how something was supposed to be built, rather than an as built print showing how it was actually done.

A good example being building plan views showing support post location. If you don't go down and verify each post's actual location before doing your layout, you are almost guaranteed that one of them will end up smack dab in the middle of a walkway or piece of equipment.

I can only imagine how perspective has changed after yet another generation later..................

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Rob sumbody who has gold and silver. <-- Although you'd prolly haveta take a ticket and wait in line with the others.

Or you could show up at Chateau Sneakydicker, and I will put you on my guard staff.

does your Guard Staff get frequent smoke and coffee breaks?

if so , where do I sign up?…😁🤓😁

IMG_9115.jpeg

imiubu

I sitll have two Bose Speakers.....I think they were 501's . They still work but I haven't used them in years.....furniture today. Wait I take that back....I got rid of them years go. I do have a pair of JBL L99's. Still have the Altec 710 receiver as well.

View attachment 19023098

View attachment 19023099

Got the whole system in 1972. Still have the Cassette recorder but the turn table is long gone. Good sounding system.....blow the roof off.
I always wanted a pair of 901's but never fit into my budget. Might be good though
as city living and having banging speakers may (will!) cause issues w/ neighbors.

I still have my Sylvania "air suspension" speakers I settled on back in the 70's.
Sounded great still the last time I hooked them up.
They too have become furniture over the years :)

OleReynard

that is old data Unca…..

El Salvador is now one of the safest countries on earth to visit thanks to their new Prez Mr Bukele..

a lot safer than Chicago or Baltimore

El Salvador is safe to visit in 2024! While the country grappled with high crime rates before 2020, there has been a tremendous decline in violence, reaching its lowest levels in over four decades. Today, El Salvador stands out as one of the safest countries in Latin America

Crime data has shown that violent crimes in El Salvador, such as homicides, were reduced by 56.5% from 2021 to 2022 and 69% from 2022 to 2023. Today, El Salvador has one of the lowest homicide rates in Latin America.

Considering the reduction in crime and the historical data on tourism safety, El Salvador is not dangerous for tourists to visit in 2024. Furthermore, most major tourist areas are in safer locations with adequate security.

Bukele rounded up all the gangsters and built a special prison for them

View attachment 19023357
Because all the crims not in jail are here running free

Dime

Not sure where you get your data from. And, for reference, the Saudi Riyal remains pegged to the USD.

Saudi's have been trading, and willing to trade oil in a basket of currencies for quite some time.
Eventually, of course, converting the bulk of it back into US Dollar related financial instruments.
There was no shock wave in the markets, which there should have been, if of great importance.

As to your predictions on the price of oil - you must have a crystal ball better then the rest.
The world's major players trade both currency & oil markets. And they've fluctuated normally.
I can only wonder how the Kingdom will continue to get rich with no one able to afford gas.

There never was a factual exclusive deal that Saudi's had to trade every drop of oil in US Dollars.
Given the choice between holding Yuan or Dollar (USD), that's an easy one. They like Euro too.
In January 2023, Saudi Arabia formally announced they would trade oil in other currencies also.

Brent and WTI are both future traded in US Dollar denominations. Oil has gone up slowly recently.
And the US Dollar has slowly risen too, and been stable. With no abnormal perceivable fluctuations.
We should see some panic and disparity if in fact the major players are concerned with this. Not.

The Saudi Kingdom is as greedy as ever, & wants to pull away from any perceived sole nation bias.
And, of course, there is the possible leverage that is attached to any future US - Saudi agreements.
The referenced pact ended on June 14, 2024. Markets don't lie. And they dd not noticeably change.

I am providing a link to an outside the US publication so that one won't perceive any overt bias here:

Here is another with a little more in depth explanation as to what actually did, and is, transpiring, today:

Here is a last link that will allow you to do a much deeper dive, if so interested, with numerous links:

Potential to Disrupt the Global Financial Order

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Going back in history several hundred years - people were very scared of witches and warlocks - and so they found sport in burning them at the stake - executions were public entertainment - and people would get upset if they missed a hanging or a beheading - as they might today - if they missed a football match 🤔 - do you think this is progress?

jokerman

Premium user
that is old data Unca…..

El Salvador is now one of the safest countries on earth to visit thanks to their new Prez Mr Bukele..

a lot safer than Chicago or Baltimore

El Salvador is safe to visit in 2024! While the country grappled with high crime rates before 2020, there has been a tremendous decline in violence, reaching its lowest levels in over four decades. Today, El Salvador stands out as one of the safest countries in Latin America

Crime data has shown that violent crimes in El Salvador, such as homicides, were reduced by 56.5% from 2021 to 2022 and 69% from 2022 to 2023. Today, El Salvador has one of the lowest homicide rates in Latin America.

Considering the reduction in crime and the historical data on tourism safety, El Salvador is not dangerous for tourists to visit in 2024. Furthermore, most major tourist areas are in safer locations with adequate security.

Bukele rounded up all the gangsters and built a special prison for them

View attachment 19023357
wish we did that

jokerman

Premium user
Going back in history several hundred years - people were very scared of witches and warlocks - and so they found sport in burning them at the stake - executions were public entertainment - and people would get upset if they missed a hanging or a beheading - as they might today - if they missed a football match 🤔 - do you think this is progress?

after marrying one I understand.

Dime

The Salem witch trials began when 9-year-old Elizabeth Parris and 11-year-old Abigail Williams began suffering from fits, body contortions and uncontrolled screaming (today, it is believed that they were poisoned by a fungus that caused spasms and delusions). As more young women began to exhibit symptoms, mass hysteria ensued, and three women were accused of witchcraft: Sarah Good, Sarah Osborn and Tituba, an enslaved woman owned by Parris’s father. Tituba confessed to being a witch and began accusing others of using black magic. On June 10, Bridget Bishop became the first accused witch to be put to death during the Salem Witch Trials when she was hanged at the Salem gallows. Ultimately, around 150 people were accused and 18 were put to death. Women weren’t the only victims of the Salem Witch Trials; six men were also convicted and executed.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
The Salem witch trials began when 9-year-old Elizabeth Parris and 11-year-old Abigail Williams began suffering from fits, body contortions and uncontrolled screaming (today, it is believed that they were poisoned by a fungus that caused spasms and delusions). As more young women began to exhibit symptoms, mass hysteria ensued, and three women were accused of witchcraft: Sarah Good, Sarah Osborn and Tituba, an enslaved woman owned by Parris’s father. Tituba confessed to being a witch and began accusing others of using black magic. On June 10, Bridget Bishop became the first accused witch to be put to death during the Salem Witch Trials when she was hanged at the Salem gallows. Ultimately, around 150 people were accused and 18 were put to death. Women weren’t the only victims of the Salem Witch Trials; six men were also convicted and executed.

card00322_fr.jpg