What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Attention attention

for those waiting on seeds , I just got back in town and I will try and get them out this Monday..

That is all.

IMG_0743.jpeg

imiubu

Immature shagbark hickory nuts are starting to drop. One of these years I am going to try roasting some. They are supposed to be delicious though difficult to dehull. View attachment 19021073
Besides Pistachios, Hickory nuts are my favorite.
Harvested locally is the only way I've found them.
Unavailable commercially so...
Good for you to have them in your environs :)

jokerman

Premium user
My digestion must be slower then most, by the time I get to the end where I might order a dessert I'm usually so stuffed I'm miserable and just don't want anything else. If this is a plot by the restaurants they might be sabatoging their own plot with the portion sizes they serve, at least here in the US. One thing that many foreigners visiting the US remark about is how huge the portions are at restaurants. If they would scale back the portions they could offer a cheaper price that would appeal to many but maybe more people would also have enough room left to actually want to order a dessert?
"one must learn to make room for whats important and for desert" famous pastry chef Salvatore Canoli :

jokerman

Premium user
Good morning brothers and sisters! View attachment 19021040 View attachment 19021041

Yet another gorgeous day starting at 58F and predicted to reach 85F.

I placed the order for the kitchen drain repair with my vendor of choice after asking him to discount his bid 10% so that he was closer to the low bid. I didn't feel comfortable with low bid after they sent their multi-page contract that said they weren't responsible for any damages that they caused and wanted to put a lien on our house before starting.

An open calendar for meaning endeavors, frolicking, or wanton debauchery. Whichever comes first.
I would lean toward the debauchery IMHO first☝️

oldfogey8

We cracked them using our "pecan cracker" which compressed the nuts length wise, causing the shell to fracture outward and promoting whole kernel harvest.

My personal favorite is native pecans.
The hulls are the biggest issue for me. I tried dehulling some last summer. It may be that the nuts were not ripe when they dropped as I watched a couple videos this morning showing hills being easily removed. I may try a little heat to dry the hulls out this year to see if a crack develops.

giggy

Morning folks, not much moving around here this morn. Wife is going to clean the office at work today, so I guess I'll play with the computer. I used to help out by mopping behind her. Can't do that now without a knee. I'm sick of this shit, basically have lost 9 months of things I like and need to do. Had hoped to ride this summer, not gonna happen. Grandson drug my bike out and now I have to see it everyday, just like my unfinished hot rod setting in the yard. Gotta try to get a ramp built into my shed so I can at least grow again. Hope everybody has a great day.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I find the price of a nice big watermelon is more than I can get without a guilty conscience; Herself never touches watermelon, so I use up about 40% of the fridge to store at least a half... and wholesale prices have gone up 50% per year the last coupla years. Lookit:

"Mintec, a market intelligence company, recently reported prices had surged 49% in mid-July [2023] when compared to last summer. The organization said that average prices reached $5.33 per melon, well above the $3.60 price tag seen a year ago."
the melons down here are a buck a piece just like the pineapples...

good morning peoples...

imiubu

The hulls are the biggest issue for me. I tried dehulling some last summer. It may be that the nuts were not ripe when they dropped as I watched a couple videos this morning showing hills being easily removed. I may try a little heat to dry the hulls out this year to see if a crack develops.
We always used baskets to gather and dry (cure?) them in.
When the hulls are dried and the nut ready to be cracked
and I think... safe to now eat, the hulls are easily removed
as they will separate naturally from the nut shells.
Hope this helps.

We used to also harvest black walnuts when I was young.
All the green nuts went into the dirt driveway and my folks
just ran over them with the cars repeatedly until the green...
then ucky blackened hulls, were separated from the shells.
Then we harvested the nuts from the driveway and they too
were stored in the baskets until cured (?) and ready for cracking.

Mom's kept us kids busy for hours on end learning
how to successfully crack the different nuts harvested.
Was a good winter time activity learning how to bust
open varying species of nuts w/ a hammer on the concrete
basement floor lol

Hickory nuts require a fair amount of finessing
to get anything other than mush whist wielding
a hammer in a child's hands haha
We sure did get good at it as it was certainly
a friendly competition to see who could harvest
the largest pieces w/ out smashing the living
shit out of the shell/ nut meat :)