What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

cola

My digestion must be slower then most, by the time I get to the end where I might order a dessert I'm usually so stuffed I'm miserable and just don't want anything else. If this is a plot by the restaurants they might be sabatoging their own plot with the portion sizes they serve, at least here in the US. One thing that many foreigners visiting the US remark about is how huge the portions are at restaurants. If they would scale back the portions they could offer a cheaper price that would appeal to many but maybe more people would also have enough room left to actually want to order a dessert?
Amen! An Eastern European lady friend for several years remarked to me how very large the plates were in the US! Said that during Soviet times that she recalled that everyone's plates were not very much bigger than our standard salad plates, if any. Made me recall how trim and fit most E Euro ladies looked, especially in their "modeling" years!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

Yet another gorgeous day starting at 58F and predicted to reach 85F.

I placed the order for the kitchen drain repair with my vendor of choice after asking him to discount his bid 10% so that he was closer to the low bid. I didn't feel comfortable with low bid after they sent their multi-page contract that said they weren't responsible for any damages that they caused and wanted to put a lien on our house before starting.

An open calendar for meaning endeavors, frolicking, or wanton debauchery. Whichever comes first.

oldfogey8

You and I both Subby, he’s retired military and we get along quite well. He’s a little weird, but everybody in his neighborhood is. The guy across the street would steal Ivan if he had a possibility of getting away with it so he ended up back in the yard and all is well.
Who doesn’t love water Mellon…
We have been hitting the watermelon pretty hard lately in the fogey house. It is pretty much healthy candy. As a late night snack, it has the drawback for me of waking me up around 3 am with my bladder about to burst…

Unca Walt

420club
In the case of the video, my best guess is he had an obstruction in the barrel.

The primer has enough force to propel the bullet into the barrel but not enough to push it through, so if he fired a subsequent round without clearing it, he would get a similar reaction.

There is a reasonable chance that he was also a handloader, so it could have been the wrong powder or a hot load.
@Gray Wolf I just saw the quoted above. That gobsmacked me with an old memory that makes me think you are spot on with the bolded.

I did that. Well, either me or Puck (my Black-Belt-In-Everything son). We handloaded all our .45's using scavenged brass and gas station scrap tire weights to make bullets. We either missed a load, or put in a short load somewhere.

So there was Puck at the range, doing rapid-fire. His fourth shot gave an awful bang. The GI gun did not break apart, but the barrel looked like a python that ate somebody. Barrel had been blocked, but it fargin held for those milliseconds until both bullets went downrange. 😌

We got real careful after that. Puck still has the bent .45

Unca Walt

420club
Every morning I await between one and two and have my snacks. Watermelon is one of my favorites, followed by skinny almonds and then a coconut bar… skinny almonds are dusted with cocoa powder and don’t have an eighth of an inch of sugary chocolate on the outside. They taste great and they’re good for you.
I find the price of a nice big watermelon is more than I can get without a guilty conscience; Herself never touches watermelon, so I use up about 40% of the fridge to store at least a half... and wholesale prices have gone up 50% per year the last coupla years. Lookit:

"Mintec, a market intelligence company, recently reported prices had surged 49% in mid-July [2023] when compared to last summer. The organization said that average prices reached $5.33 per melon, well above the $3.60 price tag seen a year ago."

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Gray Wolf I just saw the quoted above. That gobsmacked me with an old memory that makes me think you are spot on with the bolded.

I did that. Well, either me or Puck (my Black-Belt-In-Everything son). We handloaded all our .45's using scavenged brass and gas station scrap tire weights to make bullets. We either missed a load, or put in a short load somewhere.

So there was Puck at the range, doing rapid-fire. His fourth shot gave an awful bang. The GI gun did not break apart, but the barrel looked like a python that ate somebody. Barrel had been blocked, but it fargin held for those milliseconds until both bullets went downrange. 😌

We got real careful after that. Puck still has the bent .45
I'll bet that got his attention.
kez_11.gif

I've had the experience of lodging a bullet in the barrel from a bad load but noticed it before putting another round though. I was shooting my Ruger Security Six 357, when a round just went putttt.........

Fortunately, I wasn't shooting rapid fire and I checked the barrel before cooking off another round. Lucky also that I had a cleaning rod handy to drive the bullet back out but found another bad round in the box, so had to do it twice and salvaged the rest for their bullets and brass.

Unca Walt

420club
Immature shagbark hickory nuts are starting to drop. One of these years I am going to try roasting some. They are supposed to be delicious though difficult to dehull. View attachment 19021073
Here's how we useta do it: A hammer and a hard surface (I had an old iron frying pan) along with a nutcracker set pick or a crab/lobster pick. Also an pair of real pliers

Tap the nut with the pointy end down. <-- You'll figger out how hard pretty quickly. Lotsa small taps.

When you get the big crack, take your time with the pliers, carefully crunching and removing the shell. After a while, you will be getting quarter-turkeys regularly. Half-turkeys are very rare, and nobody ever got a double whole.

oldfogey8

Some good news about global warming:
View attachment 19021066
Ignore the comments. The graph is what is kewl.
From the graph, one would almost think that the temperature oscillates from year to year😂 instead of ramping up at an alarming rate…

I remember as a kid in the 70’s being propagandized about the coming ice age(and being a kid, I was pretty concerned about that)…
1719058524276.png

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I forgot to mention: They taste better than any other nut on this planet. They are just a total bitch to get a handful.
We cracked them using our "pecan cracker" which compressed the nuts length wise, causing the shell to fracture outward and promoting whole kernel harvest.

My personal favorite is native pecans.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I find the price of a nice big watermelon is more than I can get without a guilty conscience; Herself never touches watermelon, so I use up about 40% of the fridge to store at least a half... and wholesale prices have gone up 50% per year the last coupla years. Lookit:

"Mintec, a market intelligence company, recently reported prices had surged 49% in mid-July [2023] when compared to last summer. The organization said that average prices reached $5.33 per melon, well above the $3.60 price tag seen a year ago."
The price of everything is up Walt. Just yesterday I was at the grocery and on the way to the register I saw some Doritos chips the cool ranch kind like Mr sub likes on the end cap. Not one of those giant family bags just a regular size bag which actually seems a bit smaller than it use to. When th cashier swiped that bag across the scanner thing it said 7.99 on the screen. Wow! I told him to enjoy them he might not get them as often anymore.