What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldmaninbc

I am in what is considered high desert. We had storm clouds first thing this morning. Humidity was close to 50%. That has all burned off now and the humidity is back in the low 20's. Which is what I am used to.

How are you today Old Man?

Inside garden is done as is the flowers and garden outside. Grass is cut.....time for a smoke.
I am doing fine Pute, thank you for asking. What is your elevation?

That's the kind of humidity I like in the 20s or less.
High heat and high humidity play hell on my lung disease.

I have 1 dwarf tomato, 1 rosemary and 1 parsley that is being hardened off. Should be ready for planting any day. It's going to start getting hot here.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I am doing fine Pute, thank you for asking. What is your elevation?

That's the kind of humidity I like in the 20s or less.
High heat and high humidity play hell on my lung disease.

I have 1 dwarf tomato, 1 rosemary and 1 parsley that is being hardened off. Should be ready for planting any day. It's going to start getting hot here.
I am right at 6,000 ft. If you drive five miles west of me your are over 8,000. There are 14,000 peaks just beyond that.

My peas, cukes, beets and beans have all just broken ground. I have to wait until almost June to plant warm weather plants. My maters and peppers have been in the ground almost a week now and doing great. NO HAIL please.

oldmaninbc

I am right at 6,000 ft. If you drive five miles west of me your are over 8,000. There are 14,000 peaks just beyond that.

My peas, cukes, beets and beans have all just broken ground. I have to wait until almost June to plant warm weather plants. My maters and peppers have been in the ground almost a week now and doing great. NO HAIL please.
Our elevation is only 1,198 ft. That's better if I trip I wont have so far to fall:)

Do you garden to put produce away for long term?

Yesterday talking about high elevation reminded me of going on a fishing trip with a friend. It was early spring and the weather was a mixed bag. The trip went from low elevation to high. One spot where we camped, woke up in the morning with a foot of snow. We moved on from there. Long story short, as we got closer to the coast, it was rainy. We got to where we were headed for the night, it was cold, rainy and very overcast with low lying clouds. Couldn't see much of anything, called it an early night. Woke up in the morning to a bright sunny day to see a lake and BC's highest mountain in front of me. I was awe struck.

Littleleaf

Veteran
Bibs now soaked but the first 100ish red onions are now drying/curing. The whites well... most bolted this year. There are a few good ones still to be pulled.

Blondy will dry the bolted ones for onion powder. Turns out good n loud flavor and tastes.

Yellows need a few more weeks and garlic too.

Off to pick more beans.

yellow wax from 3 plants.jpg

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Our elevation is only 1,198 ft. That's better if I trip I wont have so far to fall:)

Do you garden to put produce away for long term?

Yesterday talking about high elevation reminded me of going on a fishing trip with a friend. It was early spring and the weather was a mixed bag. The trip went from low elevation to high. One spot where we camped, woke up in the morning with a foot of snow. We moved on from there. Long story short, as we got closer to the coast, it was rainy. We got to where we were headed for the night, it was cold, rainy and very overcast with low lying clouds. Couldn't see much of anything, called it an early night. Woke up in the morning to a bright sunny day to see a lake and BC's highest mountain in front of me. I was awe struck.
Sounds beautiful. Colorado has some beautiful places but to many people here now.

oldmaninbc

Lucky. To go to any popular places here you have to make a reservation....!!
Over 90% of BC land is crown land(public).

There is a small city east of me Osoyoos , a provincial park there Haynes Point, you would put in for reservations in the winter to camp there in the summer, very high demand.
It's the same here, popular spots require a reservation.

There are other less popular spots with little or no services, mostly known by locals.

BrassNwood

Veteran
And somewhere in the middle the only time you think about doing it twice, is just before doing it once.

Whoa! Wishing you good luck with that brother! Sending empathy and healing thoughts.

What are the procedures designed to address?
My descending and abdominal aorta are ballooned (aneurysm) what should be a garden hose is a beer can in size. Not being a good candidate for open surgery, the endovascular approach is what is now commonly used. Stents shoved in the groin vessels and expanded into place preventing dissections (rupture) (death) If it pops, I have a 25% chance of making it to a hospital alive and a 25% chance of surviving the next 7 days.

What is a lumbar drain?

Morning all!

We have been getting hail in the area every day. Missed me so far. I don't like the look of the sky this morning.
Think spinal tap. They will monitor the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) pressure and drain as needed to lower the risk of partial or total paralyses when they place the abdominal fenestrated stent. The stents occlude (block) many important spinal feeders as well as lung branches and others. Only the major organs get a branched feeder, and the rest of the body gets feed by osmosis near as I can understand it.

I've read just enough to scare the shit out of me.
Power outage at 4:13 AM. Lasted a couple minutes and then another at about 5:15 that lasted about 45 minutes. I looked down the valley and it looked like the entire valley was out. I am thinking about a natural gas generator. Damn electricity is not very dependable around here. And, it's as expensive as fuck. Especially running 4 grow lights. LOL

Natural gas bill is about $20 a month non-winter months and less than $40 in the Winter.

Water bill (which is supposed to be so scarce in SoCal) is never more than $14 a month. Back in why oh why Ohio it was always $150 a month or more for water. EPA fines, mostly.

Electricity.... on a good month $400. In the Summer... $700 a month.

And, California is on some kick to eliminate natural gas and make everything electric. Including the cars. WTF!!! Has everyone gone batshit crazy? LOL

The good news.... I'm old and won't have to put up with this idiocy much longer. LOL

Peace
They auto enrolled me in a new green energy supplier at $.61 cent a kw unless I actually call in and cancel that shit and stay with so cal Edison. Bastards.
Where abouts are you? Just in case I get rich and want to leave California. LOL
Wyoming. Only 500k people in the whole damned state.
I have Kg of bacon that I need to bake this morning after coffee.

So, who bakes, who fries their bacon?

I just won't make poached bacon:)
Wife has used the oven for decades and she'll do several pounds at a time and freeze the cooked bacon.
Good luck with everything. We'll leave the light on for you. :good:

We are on the way to the hospital this morning driving out Huntington drive and pass the Colonial Cafe again and the wife says we need to try that for breakfast. Not 2 miles past the phone rings and It's the hospital canceling my surgery as the powered table in the specialty room the endovascular work is done in is broken. Blown motor was the call.

So, we reversed and had that breakfast as I was on no food or drink after midnight. I only hope the fix is quick as my self donated blood has a limited shelf life and I'd hate to have to do that part again.

PXL_20240604_172816397.jpg

PXL_20240604_172829936.jpg

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Over 90% of BC land is crown land(public).

There is a small city east of me Osoyoos , a provincial park there Haynes Point, you would put in for reservations in the winter to camp there in the summer, very high demand.
It's the same here, popular spots require a reservation.

There are other less popular spots with little or no services, mostly known by locals.
Ahh - Crown 👑 Land - would that be belonging to King Charles's Crown Estate? - someone told me that 80+% of Canadian land was owned by the British royal families Crown Estates - Hmmm -

SubGirl

420club
Bibs now soaked but the first 100ish red onions are now drying/curing. The whites well... most bolted this year. There are a few good ones still to be pulled.

Blondy will dry the bolted ones for onion powder. Turns out good n loud flavor and tastes.

Yellows need a few more weeks and garlic too.

Off to pick more beans.

View attachment 19013160
Ahh beans and potatoes my favorite summer sides.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Careful my friend, I am looking for a pot smoking fly fishing partner.
Don't ask me - I'll lose all ya flys - in a tree -

Only went fly fishing for a coupla days on the river Nevern in Wales years ago - and yeah - managed to get me tackle caught up in the trees more - than in the water - or any fish -

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts