What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

jokerman

Premium user
I copied below off an asbestos webpage from 2023

Historically, drum and disc brakes were manufactured with 35% to 60% asbestos. Today, it remains legal in the U.S. to sell asbestos-containing auto parts, and many brake and clutch parts continue to contain up to 35% asbestos.
when you think of it whatever they use has to have some longevity to it.
IMHO anything they use to make it work would be bad for you.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
With all the other broken components of my body, I doubt if I’ll make it another 20 years to find out what that asbestos might’ve done… I was exposed to the asbestos back in 1969 so if I was going to get it, I would’ve known by now. I was diagnosed with another damn lung disease so I guess it doesn’t matter which one you have. They’re all gonna get you one way or the other.
I’ve been lucky so far as asbestos was discovered in my lungs years ago but has not become an issue yet for me either. Maybe it’s the cannabis I smoke regular that’s keeping it at bay…

ost

Farmers get siliconosus (sp) from breathing dust when farming.

I'm guessing I've got the double whammy. Spent from 8 years old to 20 sucking down dust riding a tractor all day every summer. Then the past 30 years changing brakes and clutches. That's not counting the dozen blast furnaces we built for smelting silver. Also got to add 20,000 packs of cigs....fudge I'm screwed.......
thats a lot of us !hell we were hualing hay when it took two of us to get a bale on the wagon

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do they say, "no one gets out alive."
At least it’s not Frampton Comes Alive :p
IMG_3011.jpeg

oldmaninbc

I’ve been lucky so far as asbestos was discovered in my lungs years ago but has not become an issue yet for me either. Maybe it’s the cannabis I smoke regular that’s keeping it at bay…
I don't know about cannabis but cigarettes and asbestosis are going to kill you, flat out. When I quit smoking in the 80s, I was getting lung pain. My family doc sent me for X-rays, he didn't have a clue what asbestos exposure looked like. He said I had evidence of childhood lung disease, he was wrong. I quit smoking anyhow, smart decision.
If I smoke cannabis now, at first my lungs feel freed up but a few hours later, I would be in terrible pain, like someone took course sandpaper and sanded the inside of my lungs.

ost

I don't know about cannabis but cigarettes and asbestosis are going to kill you, flat out. When I quit smoking in the 80s, I was getting lung pain. My family doc sent me for X-rays, he didn't have a clue what asbestos exposure looked like. He said I had evidence of childhood lung disease, he was wrong. I quit smoking anyhow, smart decision.
If I smoke cannabis now, at first my lungs feel freed up but a few hours later, I would be in terrible pain, like someone took course sandpaper and sanded the inside of my lungs.
i didn't quit the cigs till 8 years back,watched em kill ,a local plumber .but he spent 30 years breathing glue fumes under houses, don't think that helped!

oldmaninbc

I know you folks like to talk about health a lot. I don’t because mine is really poor… protocol for tomorrow. >> I have to restrict all my carbs and sugars getting ready for another scan. Also, no strenuous activity.
When I was young fellow I remember my family talking health issues frequently. I thought to myself why is it they talk so much about their health. I found out why and now I understand why they did.

Health issues dominate my life from morning to bed, I'd like if it was otherwise but it's not.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Farmers get siliconosus (sp) from breathing dust when farming.

I'm guessing I've got the double whammy. Spent from 8 years old to 20 sucking down dust riding a tractor all day every summer. Then the past 30 years changing brakes and clutches. That's not counting the dozen blast furnaces we built for smelting silver. Also got to add 20,000 packs of cigs....fudge I'm screwed.......
don't forget all the welding you've done over the years...those fumes from the stick will kill you...
at my age, i may make another ten ,i hope!
after the last 6 months of testing and many doctors, I know I'm toast...they wont come out and say it but I google the shit out of everything and what I've discovered is far more to the point that my doctors let on...so far these last few years, especially the last 4 months, I realize there are far more years behind me that in front...I'm counting on at least 5 years but I then wonder what quality of life I would have in those 5 years...I can't even pronounce the stuff I've got no less try to live with it...

Latest posts

Latest posts