What's new

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raho

Veteran
Hi guys, you're all so very knowledgeable and experienced. I'm jealous.

But would it be possible to continue the debate about opiumnated Thai sticks in the thread linked below?
It makes it easier for everyone on the forum who wishes to follow the debate.

You guys post to many good info about it into this haze thread. It would be a shame to see all your posts about this subject become unfoundeable.

Opiumnated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=373835

Thanks.
CVH, that was a good idea to try and spin off the conversation to preserve this one and keep it on topic, but it's not a thread I want to be part of.
I think the only one that WANTS to talk about this is Hempy. It's not provable. Some will believe it, some won't.

Hempy, I have never thought or said you are a liar. I agree with what Donald said about you. Loyal and honest. You truly believe your interpretation of what you see and hear and then repeat it for others.

What I have an issue with you so often about is the lack of critical thinking that you apply to these old myths and legends. And a lot of these bits of "knowledge" took root in your mind soooo many years ago. You attach your self-respect to these things, and when anybody questions you about the validity of them (something you yourself should have done long ago, and often since then as new information comes out all the time) you take the question as an attack on your integrity instead of questioning your own long held assumptions.

Critical thinking Hempy.

Things like posting a picture of what is obviously an old stick of commercial incense as an example of Thai Stick cannabis, just because the source was the US DEA.
You have to use your own eyes man. Question the label. Hell, question everything. These days, more and more people have realized they need to do that as so little is what it appears.

The reason people are debating the opium+thai stick myth so much is because there are people who repeat the story as as a massive generalization: "Thai weed was so powerful because it was adulterated with opium."
Myths like that spread by people who have never smoked Thai weed or opium eventually become "facts" in this world.
People who really care about cannabis have a hard time sitting silent then they hear that.

Assuming that cannabis and opium are produced by completely different groups of people, one thing that doesn't make sense to me is transporting large quantities of (illegal) opium production waste product at great risk to add to a crop of good flowers.
All of us should know that any time you transport illegal substances, it is a high risk event and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

It made me curious enough to do a single web search where I found this 1992 US NIJ document:
Opium Poppy' Cultivation and Heroin Processing in Southeast Asia

It covers a lot of great detail about the who, where, and how of opium production in Burma, Thailand and Laos.

Although production (apparently) happens in some of the same areas known for Cannabis and even some of the same ethnic groups, the document describes other crops typically planted in conjunction with poppies and does not mention cannabis at all.
It includes complete descriptions of the process from farming to refinement.

Tell you the truth, after reading it I didn't see a single waste product that looked like a candidate for adding to cannabis to improve it except possibly raw opium itself, diluted when dissolved in boiling water. Poor slash and burn subsistence farmers in the hills can't afford to buy opium to add to a messed up crop which will then sell for the same price as the opium they added to it.

The references to what was sold to GIs in Vietnam seems to me to be a product that would be created by street dealers, not smugglers.

There is a difference between what gets sold by street dealers and what is sold by the boat load for export. Street dealers often have to deal with how to make money from bad batches of product. Old weed, moldy weed, shit harvested too early, or just badly grown. It all makes it to market eventually and a sucker is born every minute. But if you are risking a fortune in cash and life behind bars to load a a freighter with bales to sell on the other side of the world. . . you get "the good stuff." As good as you can find.

It's easy to imagine a street dealer who finds himself stuck with a bad batch of weed, thinking "what can I add to this crap to get people to buy it?" Get some raw opium, boil it in water. Dip/pour/soak the shit weed quickly in the sauce and spread it out do dry in the tropical heat.
Then, sell it to stupid Americans who will buy anything to stop thinking about the misery of their life killing people far from home for something that has nothing to do with them.
That all makes sense right?

What doesn't make sense is taking the risk of exporting weed around the world that wasn't good enough to sell on it's own quality.
From a perspective of "Name those (criminal) charges", I ask the question: What do you get when you coat ten thousand kilos of Thai stick with 100 kilos of opium?
Answer: Ten thousand one hundred kilos of OPIUM.
That's what law enforcement would do, and the jail sentence would be much greater for anyone caught with the opium sticks vs plain thai weed.

When Dr. Purpur says he smoked plenty of imported Thai with opium back in the day, I have to take notice. One because I know the Doc to be a critical thinker who takes nothing for granted, and two because he lived and partied in one of the top smuggling destination port cities for Thai sticks at the time in question.

Again, assuming that adding opium to Thai weed is something that a dealer would do if he found himself holding a large quantity of low grade weed, opium is certainly something that would be available in large quantities in San Francisco. I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a product like that might exist on the street here and there.

A street dealer solution to a batch quality problem. That is my logical assumption if the stuff ever existed at all.

This thread is way off topic. Maybe we should rename it?

I know my thoughts are pretty jumbled around up there, but I've spent enough time on this. Although I feel a little better informed about opium in SE asia from my searches and enjoyed hearing some of the first hand accounts, I know this is a debate that will never end, so I'll leave it to others.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I thought the reason thai sticks were generally stronger and more sought after was the long voyage they took, you had high quality cannabis sitting in a ship for months before anyone even got a puff of it. High quality herb that gets stronger with a cure is something most people can agree upon, is it more than likely the legend is just the cure?

HAZENACIOUS

Donald smoked opiumated Hash in the 80s so why would it be impossible to find opiumated Thai sticks ?.

That Thai stick pictured above from DEA look like regular Thai cannabis to you ?.

I remember the Thai sticks we used to get, they looked like that size but weren't in paper. I remember the "opiated" Thai and "chocolate" Thai. Two words for the same thing. The sticks were brown and gooey, leaving a greasy brown residue on the inside of the bag. I even remember the prices, the green sticks were $20 for a little stick, at a time when you could get a big fat quarter of good Mexican brick for $25. We went for the Thai stick every time, hands down.

The opiated sticks were twice as much $40. And I remember they sold out almost instantly. We only got our hands on them a couple times, for that reason.

I remember smoking it too. Those gooey brown thaisticks had a unique smell that I still remember to this day. If you handled them you would get a brown tarry substance on your hands that was difficult to wash off. You couldn't roll a Jay with them, too messy and didn't stay lit. besides a small chunk in a bowl could go around the circle a few times. We didn't roll the thaisticks into Jay's any way, it was a waste. Me and my friends used to pool our allowance...

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php
:biggrin:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Originally Posted by @hempy
Donald smoked opiumated Hash in the 80s so why would it be impossible to find opiumated Thai sticks ?.

That Thai stick pictured above from DEA look like regular Thai cannabis to you ?.

Im not sure i said that , i was only told by the supplier thats that it was ,
i cant say it actually was ,
in hindsight id say it was just strong hash ,
i was young and didnt have much tolerance , particularly for hash ..

ive read and been told many times that there was hash with white flecks in it and it was being called opiated hash , but many have said it was just hash that had gone moldy on the outer surface , blended again and got sold as something it wasnt ,
i imagine some supplier clicking his heals at what may have been a hard sell initially and loosing money , turning into something he made more money from and laughing all the way to the bank ,
such is the drug trade at times , not everyone can be trusted to be truthful , specially in that game ...

[/FONT]

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Opium and cannabis was grown grown in the Golden triangle warlords with there own arm's controlled it.
thai sticks were not grown in the same place hempy ,
i ve said it over and over , my words fall on deaf ears though ,

thai sticks were mostly produced in the isaan provinces , the north east of thailand , the opium wasnt ..

it does help to have some knowledge of the countries we debate about , even better to have traveled around those areas which i have done as have others that agree with what i have said ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Originally Posted by @hempy View Image

Im not sure i said that , i was only told by the supplier thats that it was ,
i cant say it actually was ,
in hindsight id say it was just strong hash ,
i was young and didnt have much tolerance , particularly for hash ..

ive read and been told many times that there was hash with white flecks in it and it was being called opiated hash , but many have said it was just hash that had gone moldy on the outer surface , blended again and got sold as something it wasnt ,
i imagine some supplier clicking his heals at what may have been a hard sell initially and loosing money , turning into something he made more money from and laughing all the way to the bank ,
such is the drug trade at times , not everyone can be trusted to be truthful , specially in that game ...

[/FONT]

icon1.gif

I did have some opiumated hash in the early 80s , not sure where it was from , but the same guy we scored the thai from was also the same guy we got the hash from ,, though i m not 100% there was a connection ,
i only shared one pipe of the hash with a friend ,, big bowl , we were young so it was bound to blow us , some funny shit happened that afternoon thats for sure .

Im not sure id really want the thai herb laced with opium , the golden stuff was fine as it was ...
this is the only golden buddah ive seen in many years ...

ic

be great to hear from someone that saw the thai being harvested , cured and rolled into thai sticks ...
Donald Mallard
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/68441-post34.html

It was around but limited

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
CVH, that was a good idea to try and spin off the conversation to preserve this one and keep it on topic, but it's not a thread I want to be part of.
I think the only one that WANTS to talk about this is Hempy. It's not provable. Some will believe it, some won't.

Hempy, I have never thought or said you are a liar. I agree with what Donald said about you. Loyal and honest. You truly believe your interpretation of what you see and hear and then repeat it for others.

What I have an issue with you so often about is the lack of critical thinking that you apply to these old myths and legends. And a lot of these bits of "knowledge" took root in your mind soooo many years ago. You attach your self-respect to these things, and when anybody questions you about the validity of them (something you yourself should have done long ago, and often since then as new information comes out all the time) you take the question as an attack on your integrity instead of questioning your own long held assumptions.

Critical thinking Hempy.

Things like posting a picture of what is obviously an old stick of commercial incense as an example of Thai Stick cannabis, just because the source was the US DEA.
You have to use your own eyes man. Question the label. Hell, question everything. These days, more and more people have realized they need to do that as so little is what it appears.

The reason people are debating the opium+thai stick myth so much is because there are people who repeat the story as as a massive generalization: "Thai weed was so powerful because it was adulterated with opium."
Myths like that spread by people who have never smoked Thai weed or opium eventually become "facts" in this world.
People who really care about cannabis have a hard time sitting silent then they hear that.

Assuming that cannabis and opium are produced by completely different groups of people, one thing that doesn't make sense to me is transporting large quantities of (illegal) opium production waste product at great risk to add to a crop of good flowers.
All of us should know that any time you transport illegal substances, it is a high risk event and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

It made me curious enough to do a single web search where I found this 1992 US NIJ document:
Opium Poppy' Cultivation and Heroin Processing in Southeast Asia

It covers a lot of great detail about the who, where, and how of opium production in Burma, Thailand and Laos.

Although production (apparently) happens in some of the same areas known for Cannabis and even some of the same ethnic groups, the document describes other crops typically planted in conjunction with poppies and does not mention cannabis at all.
It includes complete descriptions of the process from farming to refinement.

Tell you the truth, after reading it I didn't see a single waste product that looked like a candidate for adding to cannabis to improve it except possibly raw opium itself, diluted when dissolved in boiling water. Poor slash and burn subsistence farmers in the hills can't afford to buy opium to add to a messed up crop which will then sell for the same price as the opium they added to it.

The references to what was sold to GIs in Vietnam seems to me to be a product that would be created by street dealers, not smugglers.

There is a difference between what gets sold by street dealers and what is sold by the boat load for export. Street dealers often have to deal with how to make money from bad batches of product. Old weed, moldy weed, shit harvested too early, or just badly grown. It all makes it to market eventually and a sucker is born every minute. But if you are risking a fortune in cash and life behind bars to load a a freighter with bales to sell on the other side of the world. . . you get "the good stuff." As good as you can find.

It's easy to imagine a street dealer who finds himself stuck with a bad batch of weed, thinking "what can I add to this crap to get people to buy it?" Get some raw opium, boil it in water. Dip/pour/soak the shit weed quickly in the sauce and spread it out do dry in the tropical heat.
Then, sell it to stupid Americans who will buy anything to stop thinking about the misery of their life killing people far from home for something that has nothing to do with them.
That all makes sense right?

What doesn't make sense is taking the risk of exporting weed around the world that wasn't good enough to sell on it's own quality.
From a perspective of "Name those (criminal) charges", I ask the question: What do you get when you coat ten thousand kilos of Thai stick with 100 kilos of opium?
Answer: Ten thousand one hundred kilos of OPIUM.
That's what law enforcement would do, and the jail sentence would be much greater for anyone caught with the opium sticks vs plain thai weed.

When Dr. Purpur says he smoked plenty of imported Thai with opium back in the day, I have to take notice. One because I know the Doc to be a critical thinker who takes nothing for granted, and two because he lived and partied in one of the top smuggling destination port cities for Thai sticks at the time in question.

Again, assuming that adding opium to Thai weed is something that a dealer would do if he found himself holding a large quantity of low grade weed, opium is certainly something that would be available in large quantities in San Francisco. I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a product like that might exist on the street here and there.

A street dealer solution to a batch quality problem. That is my logical assumption if the stuff ever existed at all.

This thread is way off topic. Maybe we should rename it?

I know my thoughts are pretty jumbled around up there, but I've spent enough time on this. Although I feel a little better informed about opium in SE asia from my searches and enjoyed hearing some of the first hand accounts, I know this is a debate that will never end, so I'll leave it to others.

No offense mate but i have had a gut full and will not even read all of this post.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
RE: Opium laced thai sticks...I've sent a DM to the author of "Thai Stick: Surfers, Scammers, and the Untold Story of the Marijuana Trade" asking him about this opiumated thai stick business.

If you swear you smoked it, my guess is it didn't come out of Thailand that way. It was most likely added upon arrival by the retailer (dealer) at whatever shores the herb arrived. Now, that angle wouldn't surprise me in the least. You get a bad batch of black tar and a crappy batch of thai herb...why not combine the two and try to salvage something so you can at least make some money off the load?

We'll see though...if the author gets back to me, I'll ask him if it's ok if I post his thoughts up here for you guys to read. Where I grew up, there was plenty of imported herb coming in...mostly from Colombia and Mexico by my time, but it was, and still is, a major port city. Never heard about opium laced herb, but it's possible...I suppose. Exactly when it was applied and by whom is what I find difficult to ascertain. Both sides of this argument have made salient points, imho.

From what I understand, smuggling herb back in the 1960s and 1970s wasn't easy, especially as the loads got larger and larger along with the payoffs. Getting loads picked up/delivered to the ship, and then figuring out the logistics was hard enough...and there's also the fact that most of the "Scammers" aka Smugglers weren't into hard drugs AT ALL...at least at first. They wanted nothing to do with the opium dealers and made it a point to avoid them at all costs. The same can be said about the first major smugglers of Colombian herb. The one person who was around back then and wrote his own book about his Colombian smuggling days, says the exact same thing. It was a spiritual thing and cocaine was just bad juju.

We'll see what the author has to say...since he has more first hand knowledge of what actually went down than anyone in this thread.

HB.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
thai sticks were not grown in the same place hempy ,
i ve said it over and over , my words fall on deaf ears though ,

thai sticks were mostly produced in the isaan provinces , the north east of thailand , the opium wasnt ..

it does help to have some knowledge of the countries we debate about , even better to have traveled around those areas which i have done as have others that agree with what i have said ...

The foreign demand for marijuana produced a boom in Thailand’s poorest region during the 1970s and 80s. North of Udorn on the banks of the Mekong sits Isan, a plateau as large as many American states (62,000 square miles) that floods during monsoon season and is arid and dusty during the dry season. Although rice fields are hard to irrigate and do not yield much, marijuana thrives thanks to the Mekong River, whose tributaries replenish the region with rich, silty soil. Farmers in Northeast Thailand take the same care with their cannabis plants that French vintners take with their grapevines.

https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/thailands-legendary-marijuana/

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
RE: Opium laced thai sticks...I've sent a DM to the author of "Thai Stick: Surfers, Scammers, and the Untold Story of the Marijuana Trade" asking him about this opiumated thai stick business.

If you swear you smoked it, my guess is it didn't come out of Thailand that way. It was most likely added upon arrival by the retailer (dealer) at whatever shores the herb arrived. Now, that angle wouldn't surprise me in the least. You get a bad batch of black tar and a crappy batch of thai herb...why not combine the two and try to salvage something so you can at least make some money off the load?

We'll see though...if the author gets back to me, I'll ask him if it's ok if I post his thoughts up here for you guys to read. Where I grew up, there was plenty of imported herb coming in...mostly from Colombia and Mexico by my time, but it was, and still is, a major port city. Never heard about opium laced herb, but it's possible...I suppose. Exactly when it was applied and by whom is what I find difficult to ascertain. Both sides of this argument have made salient points, imho.

From what I understand, smuggling herb back in the 1960s and 1970s wasn't easy, especially as the loads got larger and larger along with the payoffs. Getting loads picked up/delivered to the ship, and then figuring out the logistics was hard enough...and there's also the fact that most of the "Scammers" aka Smugglers weren't into hard drugs AT ALL...at least at first. They wanted nothing to do with the opium dealers and made it a point to avoid them at all costs. The same can be said about the first major smugglers of Colombian herb. The one person who was around back then and wrote his own book about his Colombian smuggling days, says the exact same thing. It was a spiritual thing and cocaine was just bad juju.

We'll see what the author has to say...since he has more first hand knowledge of what actually went down than anyone in this thread.

HB.

That picture I took at the Opium Museum ?
Any of the Opiated Thai stick believers notice the candles and paraphernalia all around the opium smoking scene ?
Opium needs to be burnt very slowly . The opium pipe is a special tool .
Ah but fck it lets wrap it in a Rizzla or put it in our bong ...

G

Any of the Opiated Thai stick believers notice the candles and paraphernalia all around the opium smoking scene ?

I think the legend is the sticks were soaked in opium water thats part of the process in the manufacture of opium not the finished opium product.:tiphat:

G

Young tom hill haze cutting just getting going and a weird leaf from him.:tiphat:

Attachments

• DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 17

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

HB.

Cannabis smuggling was easy if you had corrupt customs police and so on and we did here.

We had royal commotions and goverment inquiry's you name it and one of the largest drug cartels importing into the US here and other country's were formed during the Nam war.

American /Australian military CIA FBI Fed police state police were all involved along with criminal syndicates.

That is were the bulk of the Thai sticks came from along with the harder drugs.

But its also were a lot of the Hash and other cannabis came from around the 70s and 80s.

Importing locally grown cannabis from Australia to The US markets and seed brought from San Francisco to Australia threw Mafia family s that i believe to be Haze.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I remember the Thai sticks we used to get, they looked like that size but weren't in paper. I remember the "opiated" Thai and "chocolate" Thai. Two words for the same thing. The sticks were brown and gooey, leaving a greasy brown residue on the inside of the bag. I even remember the prices, the green sticks were $20 for a little stick, at a time when you could get a big fat quarter of good Mexican brick for $25. We went for the Thai stick every time, hands down.

The opiated sticks were twice as much $40. And I remember they sold out almost instantly. We only got our hands on them a couple times, for that reason.

I remember smoking it too. Those gooey brown thaisticks had a unique smell that I still remember to this day. If you handled them you would get a brown tarry substance on your hands that was difficult to wash off. You couldn't roll a Jay with them, too messy and didn't stay lit. besides a small chunk in a bowl could go around the circle a few times. We didn't roll the thaisticks into Jay's any way, it was a waste. Me and my friends used to pool our allowance...

Hiya mate did you ever come across the Tripping weed in the late 70s early 80s ?.

I am almost 100% that was haze.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran

Could be that it was so watered down that it wasn't quite the same consistency, EB? I've never done heroin or opium outside of prescribed pain pills...not my type of feeling even though it does wonders for pain relief.

I have no idea how it burns myself...or if it can be watered down to burn nicely with herb. I do know GIs were putting heroin on the tips of their cigarettes...that is pretty much an established fact. By 1969, the US government had started cracking down on cannabis use by the troops serving in SE Asia, so the troops did the only smart thing for them to do at the time...switch to heroin! It was odorless and compact...and was so pure, the troops could put it on the end of a cigarette and get high without the brass knowing what was going on.

Given the scene at the time, and the attitude of the players who were doing the actual smuggling...I tend to believe that if opium was added at some point, it had to come via some unscrupulous domestic dealers who found themselves sitting on some shitty product with no other way to move it. If they figured out a way to water down the heroin so that it could be easily smoked in a joint, I'd imagine they'd go that route so they could charge more for the product, thereby killing two birds with one stone (no pun intended).

From the book I mentioned in my other post...

Gml2t8vl.png

SBB4gegl.png

2n4DDaul.png

CmL9vNpl.png

HB.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Cannabis smuggling was easy if you had corrupt customs police and so on and we did here.

We had royal commotions and goverment inquiry's you name it and one of the largest drug cartels importing into the US here and other country's were formed during the Nam war.

American /Australian military CIA FBI Fed police state police were all involved along with criminal syndicates.

That is were the bulk of the Thai sticks came from along with the harder drugs.

But its also were a lot of the Hash and other cannabis came from around the 70s and 80s.

Importing locally grown cannabis from Australia to The US markets and seed brought from San Francisco to Australia threw Mafia family s that i believe to be Haze.

Cannabis smuggling on the high seas might have been "easy" for some, but for others, it was anything but easy. Getting the loads didn't seem to be an issue most of the time...it was getting the load onto the ships and then getting the ship to their destination and then offloading without a hitch or getting caught by the authorities. Maybe the Australian leo was lax and/or easily paid off, but the US government was definitely not of that same mindset...not in the least.

During the mid to late 70s, smugglers had to contend with lots of different problems...Engines failed, egos clashed, there were pirates....and of course, there was also the Khmer Rogue. If the Khmer Rogue caught you, it was a death sentence and no amount of political pull was going to help you.

Quote from Mcguire's book:

"Although sailing a load to the United States sounded like a very lucrative adventure, the South China Sea was an especially dangerous place after the fall of South Vietnam and Cambodia in 1975. Pirates were at large with no law enforcement agents to hinder them. It wasn’t as if piracy was a new development; as Stefan Eklof points out in his book Pirates in Paradise, “In terms of geography, few other regions in the world seem as favorable for piratical activity as maritime Southeast Asia.” However, the mass exodus of Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Laotian “boat people” trying to escape by sea with only the valuables they could carry—mostly cash, gold, and jewelry—drew pirates the same way schools of scared pilchards attract sharks. According to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, one third of the boat people died at sea, and of the boats that made it to safety, most were robbed, on the average, three times. One boat loaded with over 100 Vietnamese refugees was attacked by four different groups of pirates in eight days—even their engines were stolen. "

HB.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Cannabis smuggling on the high seas might have been easier after the war in Vietnam ended, but during the war, it was anything but easy. Getting the loads didn't seem to be an issue most of the time...it was getting the load onto the ships and then getting the ship to their destination and then offloading without a hitch or getting caught by the authorities. Maybe the Australian leo was lax and/or easily paid off, but the US government was definitely not of that same mindset...not in the least.

During the late 60's and early 70s, smugglers had to contend with lots of different problems...Engines failed, egos clashed, there were pirates....and of course, there was also the Khmer Rogue. If the Khmer Rogue caught you, it was a death sentence and no amount of political pull was going to help you.

HB.

They used shipping and planes HB it was huge news here at the time as you can understand.

Once this was all exposed the imported cannabis started to slow sure a few smugglers were still active but it was noticeable once the big players were exposed.

The last imported Thai i saw was 86 and it was rubbish nothing like the earlier Thai then it stopped.It was not Thai sticks but compressed brick.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The stuff the surfers smuggled into the US most of it did not even make the streets i read it ended up in the hands of movie stars musicians lawyers doctors in short.

Raho

Veteran
Processing opium (from the PDF govt report I linked earlier):

COOKING OPIUM (page 12)

Before opium is smoked, it is usually cooked. Uncooked opium contains moisture, vegetable matter and other impurities which detract from a smooth-smoking product. The raw opium which is collected from the opium poppy pod is placed in an open cooking pot of boiling water where the sticky glob of opium alkaloids quickly dissolve. The soil, twigs, plant scrapings, etc. remain undissolved. The solution is strained through cheesecloth to remove these impurities. The clear brown liquid, sometimes called "liquid opium," is actually opium in solution. This liquid is then re-heated over a low flame until the water turns to steam and is driven off into the air. When the water has evaporated. a thick paste remains. This paste is called "prepared opium," "cooked opium," or "smoking opium" and itis dried in the sun until it has a putty-like consistency. The net weight of the cooked opium is generally about twenty percent lighter than the original raw opium. Likewise, cooked opium is also more pure than in its original, raw form.
Cooked opium is suitable for smoking or eating by opium users. Traditionally there is only one group of opium poppy farmers, the Hmong, who prefer to not cook their opium before smoking. Most other ethnic groups, including Chinese opium addicts, prefer smoking cooked opium.
If the opium is to be sold to traders for use in morphineorheroinlaboratories,itisnotnecessaryto cook it first. The laboratory operators generally use 55-gallon oil drums or huge cooking vats to cook the raw opium before beginning the morphine extraction process (described in the next chapter).

EXTRACTION OF MORPHINE FROM OPIUM (page 13-14)

Raw or cooked opium contains more than 35 different alkaloids, including morphine, which accounts for approximately ten percent of the total raw opium weight. Heroin manufacturers must first extract the morphine from the opium, before converting the morphine to heroin. The extraction is a simple process, requiring only a few chemicals and a supply of water. Morphine is usually extracted from opium in small clandestine "laboratories" which are typically set up near the opium poppy fields. Since the morphine base is about one-tenth the weight and volume of raw opium, it is desirable to reduce the opium to morphine before transporting the product from the field to a heroin laboratory.
The process of extracting morphine from opium involves dissolving opium in hot water, adding lime to precipitate non-morphine alkaloids and then adding ammonium chloride to precipitate morphine from the solution. An empty oil drum and some cooking pots are needed.
Following is a step-by-step description of morphine extraction in a typical Southeast Asian laboratory:
1. An empty 55-gallon oil drum is placed on bricks about a foot above the ground and a fire is built under the drum. Thirty gallons of water are added to the drum and brought to a boil. Ten to fifteen kilograms of raw opium are added to the boiling water.
2. With stirring, the raw opium eventually dissolves in the boiling water, while soil, leaves, twigs, and other non-soluble materia1s float in the solution. Most of these materials are scooped out of the clear brown "liquid opium" solution.
3. Slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) or more often a readily available chemical fertilizer with a high content of lime is added to the solution. The lime will convert the water insoluble morphine into the water soluble calcium morphenate. The other opium alkaloids do not react with the lime to form calcium salts. Codeine is an opium alkaloid which is slighty water soluble and which will be carried over with the calcium morphenate in the liquid. For the most part, the other alkaloids will become a part of the "sluge."
4. As the solution cools, the morphine solution is scooped from the drum and poured through a filter of some kind. Burlap rice sacks are often used as filters and can then be squeezed in a press to remove most of the solution from the wet sacks. The solution is then poured into largecookingpotsandre-heated,butnotboiled.
5. Ammonium chloride is added to the heated calcium morphenate solution to adjust the alkalinity to a pH of8 to 9, and the solution is then allowed to cool. Within one or two hours, the morphine base and the unreacted codeine base precipitate out of the solution and settle to the bottom of the cooking pot.
6. The solution is then poured off through cloth fllters. Any solid morphine base chunks in the solution will remain on the cloth. The morphine base is reploved from both the cooking pot and from the filter cloths, wrapped and squeezed in cloth, and then dried in the sun. When dry, the crude morphine base is a coffeecolored powder.
7. This "crude" morphine base, commonly known by the Chinese term pi-tzu in Southeast Asia, may be further purified by its dissolution in hydrochloric acid, adding activated charcoal, re-heating and filtering. The solution is filtered several times, and the morphine (morphine hydrochloride) is then dried in the sun. (See Figure 8.)
8. Morphine hydrochloride (tainted with codeine hydrochloride) is usually pressed into small brick-sized blocks in a press and wrapped in paper or cloth. Themost common block size is 2 inches by 4 inches by 5 inches weighing about 1.3 kilograms. The bricks are dried for transport to heroin processing laborabories.
Approximately 13 kilograms of opium, from one hectare of opium poppies, are needed to produce each morphine block of this size. The morphine blocks are then bundled and packed for transport to heroin laboratories by human couriers or by pack animals. Pack mules are able to carry lOO-kilogram payloads over 200 miles of rugged mountain trails in less than three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts