What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

localhero

high school diploma wont get you much anyways BB.

really the best thing to do is call a pump dealer and tell them your situation. if youre pulling from a lake, there must be a solution for algea whatnots. plus i know some pumps are all about flow while others can deal with pressure better. some pumps you cant run for more than 15 minutes at a time and some pumps will burn up if they are ran dry. some pumps can take inch and a half rocks through the impellar. so much pump drama that dripworks wont sell them or even ballpark you.

thanks horsemouth, glad i could relieve some stress. its what we do right?

to everyone here especially the big dogs:

please, feel free to criticise my grow or what i say here or in my thread. if i post something and it conflicts with a truth or experience you had, please speak up. i take criticism and harsh realities well. i wont think youre an ass.

try comb

high school diploma wont get you much anyways BB.

really the best thing to do is call a pump dealer and tell them your situation. if youre pulling from a lake, there must be a solution for algea whatnots. plus i know some pumps are all about flow while others can deal with pressure better. some pumps you cant run for more than 15 minutes at a time and some pumps will burn up if they are ran dry. some pumps can take inch and a half rocks through the impellar. so much pump drama that dripworks wont sell them or even ballpark you.

thanks horsemouth, glad i could relieve some stress. its what we do right?

to everyone here especially the big dogs:

please, feel free to criticise my grow or what i say here or in my thread. if i post something and it conflicts with a truth or experience you had, please speak up. i take criticism and harsh realities well. i wont think youre an ass.

i think your garden looks great right now. rebounded nicely and reaching for the sky.

i just dumped 1500 lady bugs onto plants in my greenhouse the other day.....nice to have them around.
:wave:

nomaad

Veteran
Bill, what is the elevation drop from the lake to the garden site?

trycomb: did you spray them in sugarwater/cocacola solution?

localhero

i release lady bugs too, but spray them with a molasses solution and release them in the evening. this spring before i cleared the backyard there were ladybug larvea all over. important: dont shake them out onto budding plants. if you have wood shavings in with your ladybugs you will be picking out wood from your buds and that SUCKS.

P

planty

I be hittin switches on them bitches...

I be hittin switches on them bitches...

Been done now for a long time and we went off the subject of irrigation but since it's been touched on again recently I'll throw up a finished pic of my 7 way manifold (only 6 zones hooked up, 7th zone is for my light dep)

picture.php

LocalHero

You're doing hella good bro. I am very proud of you for making your back yard YOURS. Implementing your vision is a very special feeling and i'm sure you're feeling great. I'm jealous that you, Tom, & HL are all plugged in and I'm sitting back with my 4 ft bomb threat and 3 ft DOG...You're off to such a great start man I'm praying your garden doesn't go hedge mode

I'm plugging in tomorrow since the forecast for the next 15 days is all yellow globes

Hash Man

Soil Test

Soil Test

OK guys so here is the analysis of soil usung Toms recipe at half strength. I am a bit worried now, as i was expectin everything to be off the charts, but the nitrogen seems rather low for my liking... Possible confounds include an inconsistant sample collected and tested or a baseline that is not really correct for growing cannabis flowers, rather for growing fibers, as it was tested by a mainstream ag testing company... The ph is not optimal either, thats for sure.

What do you all think?

nomaad

Veteran
Something must be wrong with your sample or the test... something. Here is a test for just plain old Black Gold. No way Black Gold PLUS All that chickinshit is testing at 10 ppm.

BG01.gif

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Hell of a rebound on that baby, LH, must be a relief!
Also, I didn't even realize people were allowed to legally grow down in southern Cali.. I spent the early years of my life in Anaheim and still have a lot of friends from school out that way.. The keep trying to get me to go to my High School graduation in July but sadly I have way too many other obligations to meet this summer..

These following comments just may help someone down the road that hasn't pumped water long distances before, such as myself:
Our watering plan is to power a sump pump from an inverter, pumping out of a lake, down 800 feet of 1/2" irrigation tubing, to a couple 100' hoses. I brought all the stuff out to the area when I was out yesterday and just got a call from my buddy that decided to try out the pump to see how it worked.. He drilled some holes in a 5 gallon bucket it, dropped the pump in, and dropped the bucket into the lake. Turned it on and it immediately clogged due to algae getting sucked into the intake, clogging the filters. So he took the pump back to his house, cleaned out all the crap from it, dropped it in his bathtub, turned it on and basically trashed his bathroom within 10 seconds from water spraying out 15 feet into the air off his ceiling. Hilarious visual, but he said there's no doubt that this will be pumping WAY too much water down the irrigation tubing and would most likely bust the tubing, even without kinks. So, for anyone that hasn't any experience with this, do some research into what pump may be needed to work. Ours was a 1250 GPH (21ish GPM) and is the kind used to normally drain a flooded basement. I have other pumps I've used in past hydro projects over the years that are 180 GPH and another in the 300 so I'm taking them out Tuesday to test and I imagine one of these will be much better suited..

Good times. I'm still laughing with the visual of him trashing his bathroom.

BB

I may not understand ,but if your dropping 800 feet, Why would You need a pump?
I use a sump pump in my pond, and theres algae and fish. I set into a screen box.

nomaad

Veteran
yeah... that's what I was thinking... all that pressure is coming from the drop, not the pump. You should get a pelton wheel and make some electricity with that kind water pressure.

localhero

thanks planty for the good words! once you get the ladies in ground those bomb threats are gonna explode. thats a hard core manifold too man.

BB - i was thinking and like everyone else said, unless you meant the garden was 800 ft away you dont even need a pump. but you should consider scrapping the 1/2" poly for something larger like 3/4 or 1". especially if youre gonna be splitting off to hose, larger hose means more flow and less plugging. youll need a filter in that line no matter what though.

if theres a burm after the lake that youre thinking u need to pump over, u might just need to start the siphon process with that sump at the garden location. put a valve in the line. shut off the valve after the waters been flowing for a while and ur sure any air is out of the hose. wait an hour. and then open the valve to see if you have water flowing. worse case scenario youll just be using that sump to start the siphoning process.

anyways thats my theory.

P

planty

Hashman how long after mixing your pots did you send that sample in? How close to field capacity was your sample?

nomaad, the drop is about 20-25 feet. once it gets down there it's flat pasture. There are a few maybe 12 inch ups/downs from it running through various areas of the creek but other than that no big rises..

regarding ladybugs, is it worth it to drop them outside or is that generally used for just greenhouses and other indoor areas? I'm not sure what bugs exist in this pasture but I was curious if the ladybugs will stick around or if it's pointless in wide open areas..

BB

Hash Man

Hashman how long after mixing your pots did you send that sample in? How close to field capacity was your sample?

sent in 3 weeks after mixing pots.

as for field capacity, the pots were wet but not waterlogged. there had been rain showers off and on tho, so they were pretty moist.

P

planty

HashMan Did you just send one sample in from one pot?

BotanicalBill Hey brother on that ladybug tip you can do things to encourage them to stick around. Hitting the plants with Brix Mix , Molasses , H2O2 often as T suggests will have lady bugs and many other beneficial insects like mason bees coming around..

Hash Man

HashMan Did you just send one sample in from one pot?

yes, just one.and for the record, its not black gold and sup-r-green, i subsituted a local soil mix, which tested more nitrogen than this test by itself, and local composted chicken manure. all the ammendments, chicken manure included were applied at half strength.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Hash Man,

Is it possible for you to post the soil analysis of the local soil mix prior to adding the amendments (do I understand correctly that you had this tested prior?). Many things can be happening including as others have mentioned, sampling error etc. It's likely to give you an entire different analysis if you were to recheck in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what the weather has been like where you are but this (and many more things) can greatly affect analysis readings. It could also be that the chicken you added was lower in N, and that the C:N ratio is a bit off - temporarily immobilizing/tieing-up Nitrogen as microbes go to work on organic matter. Before taking any drastic action, I would retest in a couple of weeks - even if only a cheapo NPK test. In the mean time, I would feel OK about planting in that soil, the Potassium is dubiously high but like I said, I would retest after it warms up a bit and settles in a bit more. If the retest were to show no change, things can still be easily/quickly remedied after planting. -T

P

planty

"If you no humble you can no enter...."

"If you no humble you can no enter...."

picture.php

Tom Hill

Veteran
Oh me humble, me enter.

:D big smiles over here Planty. That's what we wanna see par, well done! It's all downhill from here man. -T

P

planty

Come on up :)

I talked to our friend recently and all his stuff is bouncing back and starting to tear. It just took a transplanting.

I just have to get em staked and wrap the pots then it's just turning valves, throwing switches, and mixing tanks...till trim time...

Big love from the High country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53kR7YdGjKk

HorseMouth

Planty. Well done. I have to tell you, I love the way flames from other posters just roll off your back. I am very impressed with everything you seem to touch.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts