What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Great Awakening

Is the Great Awakening happening?

• Yes

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just now saw your Cornell link. Doesn't it say pretty much egg-zaktlee what Hempy was alluding to?

(a)Authority to apply for asylum
(1)In general
Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.
(2)Exceptions
(A)Safe third country
Paragraph (1) shall not apply to an alien if the Attorney General determines that the alien may be removed, pursuant to a bilateral or multilateral agreement, to a country (other than the country of the alien’s nationality or, in the case of an alien having no nationality, the country of the alien’s last habitual residence) in which the alien’s life or freedom would not be threatened on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, and where the alien would have access to a full and fair procedure for determining a claim to asylum or equivalent temporary protection, unless the Attorney General finds that it is in the public interest for the alien to receive asylum in the United States.
I do not believe it states that someone who passes through another country to set foot on US soil to qualify for asylum is illegal which is what you maintained. The laws were not updated that I have seen since 2011. You are not reading correctly.

My point was that a qualifier for seeking asylum is feet on US soil regardless of country of origin.
https://www.americanimmigrationcoun... be granted,persecution in their home country.

Asylum seekers who arrive at a U.S. port of entry or enter the United States without inspection generally must apply through the defensive or expedited asylum processes. All three application processes require the asylum seeker to be physically present in the United States or at a port of entry.

Hempy McNoodle

t6yB9ZXhXLQb.png

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do not believe it states that someone who passes through another country to set foot on US soil to qualify for asylum is illegal which is what you maintained. The laws were not updated that I have seen since 2011. You are not reading correctly.

My point was that a qualifier for seeking asylum is feet on US soil regardless of country of origin.
https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/asylum-united-states#:~:text=In order to be granted,persecution in their home country.

Asylum seekers who arrive at a U.S. port of entry or enter the United States without inspection generally must apply through the defensive or expedited asylum processes. All three application processes require the asylum seeker to be physically present in the United States or at a port of entry.
Just to remind you what you stated, as I know you have a habit of forgetting or trying to say you said something else.

"That was for Mexico only or refugees who arrive on our shores by boat. If you are crossing other countries, you are no longer seeking asylum. You are simply looking for a better place to live, hence the normal immigration process is appropriate (not asylum). They should seek asylum in Mexico, or they should use the standard system for immigration into the USA." ~ Hempy

moose eater

Wow.

Full force turbo posting today.
Maybe they're anxious or otherwise upset because Bannon surrendered in New York today, it's in a State court where The Donald's grip is ... lesser.. if he has much left anywhere else at all any more, and if Bannon is like most of his ilk when on trial, then he likely fears an abrupt change in diet, less control over television viewing, fewer vices, and bad bedding as far worse than betraying his 'friends' in his testimony.

And I would expect that his friends have considered this as well.

I'm guessing the tRump faithful on this forum have thought about that at least a little bit.

Few white collar criminals adjust to incarceration really well. And their rates at which they often turn state's evidence against each other often reveals that.

This might become far better entertainment than I had assumed it to be last year. Watching karma delivered, especially from a safe distance, is often rewarding.