What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The 2020 Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I too am curious about how many are on employer health coverage. I am, I pay about 600 and they kick in 800 for family coverage, shopping for insurance its 1200-1500 if I went out and bought my own at the same level of coverage. That's not bad given the world we live in, it is also a decent chunk of change and I always hit out of pocket max due to preexisting conditions for family members. Depending on income, there is a lot of room for a tax increase, but not having private insurance, to benefit the end user.

The math is easy on 100k income, currently its 12-15% so a tax bump of that leaves you at least as well off. If you make 50k, a tax increase of less than 24-30% puts you ahead. And so on.

That number for a bernie tax increase seems...well wtf is it based on? Seems ludicrous. To your question though, guess we dont know, but really....

Well maybe he should come up with a figure. 50K isn't much in Cali. The taxes are very high here already. They tax everything. Cheap gas is about 4 bucks a gallon. My 22 year old truck registration is well over 300, and that's after a 65 dollar smog test

X

xavier7995

What do you pay for health insurance? Do you have good coverage? Compare what you pay vs a tax. Cutting out the insurance industry is a big damn savings.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I work at a steel mill. My company pays for it.

So I guess under his plan, Im screwed

I did used to like Bernie last time around. I guess you answered my question

M

Mr D

I don't watch the news, but read some news articles. Someone in the comments said under Bernie, our federal taxes would go up 40-60%. That couldn't be true. People are living hand to mouth, and can barely make it now. And many who are on a tight budget have employer provided health care already.

How much would the federal taxes actually go up if Bernie makes it to the White house? Does anybody know?

Don't have time to drill down on the numbers so roughly using Bernie's website as a guide. He plans to spend over $60 trillion over 10 years or about $6 Trillion a year. The government total tax revenue for 2019 was about $3.44 Trillion. Green new deal $17 Trillion, Medicare $32 Trillion, $2.2 Trillion in student debt forgiveness and free college, Public education spending is a little wishy washy, a billion for this and a billion for that, $2.5 Trillion to build public housing, $81 billion to eliminate medical debt, $150 billion for free internet. Then plenty of indirect taxes from raising the costs of doing business and higher taxes on business which they always pass along to consumers.

So if the 700 billionaires can't come up with $2 trillion plus a year and Bernie's not talking about cutting government spending then the money has to come from somewhere.

BTW that comes out to $2.9 billion a year per billionaire

M

Mr D

What do you pay for health insurance? Do you have good coverage? Compare what you pay vs a tax. Cutting out the insurance industry is a big damn savings.

Can I compare what the government pays for a fuckin hammer to the $10 I pay at Home Depot?

I have full and outstanding coverage paid by my employer. The plan has some co pays which we get back through a HSA, something Bernie wants to do away with.

Under Bernie's plan I would go from excellent coverage with no premiums to government coverage and an additional $2800 a year in taxes.

If my employer goes from $12k a year to under $4k as per Bernie's plan he's going to pocket the $8k and I'm stuck paying out an extra $2800.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Don't have time to drill down on the numbers so roughly using Bernie's website as a guide. He plans to spend over $60 trillion over 10 years or about $6 Trillion a year. The government total tax revenue for 2019 was about $3.44 Trillion. Green new deal $17 Trillion, Medicare $32 Trillion, $2.2 Trillion in student debt forgiveness and free college, Public education spending is a little wishy washy, a billion for this and a billion for that, $2.5 Trillion to build public housing, $81 billion to eliminate medical debt, $150 billion for free internet. Then plenty of indirect taxes from raising the costs of doing business and higher taxes on business which they always pass along to consumers.

So if the 700 billionaires can't come up with $2 trillion plus a year and Bernie's not talking about cutting government spending then the money has to come from somewhere.

BTW that comes out to $2.9 billion a year per billionaire

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt realize the figures were that high. 6 trillion a year?

If he is nominated as DNC candidate, Im sure Trump will ask him the same as I asked. I think most of America is more centrist. There is no way they will vote for major tax increases like that.

That may be why the DNC is concerned about Bernie beating out Biden. If it is as you say, that is a guaranteed loss

M

Mr D

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt realize the figures were that high. 6 trillion a year?

If he is nominated as DNC candidate, Im sure Trump will ask him the same as I asked. I think most of America is more centrist. There is no way they will vote for major tax increases like that.

That may be why the DNC is concerned about Bernie beating out Biden. If it is as you say, that is a guaranteed loss

I'm sure Cannavore will paint a rosier picture.

The DNC is only concerned there corporate friends will stop throwing money at them if Bernie makes them pay and give it all to Republicans.

Bernie has one proposal I like concerning the misclassification of workers. Besides a full time job I have a part time job that I work for 5 different employers in 3 different states who get away with misclassifying me as an independent contractor.

X

xavier7995

Eh, if you wind up better off with something else go for it. I think most of us will wind up better off going this way.

M

Mr D

Eh, if you wind up better off with something else go for it. I think most of us will wind up better off going this way.

We all could be better off if they cut fraud and waste for starters. Then greatly reduced the ratio of non caregiver administrative people to caregivers.

Healthcare is complex problem, the solutions put forth are not comprehensive enough to begin to solve the problem. Can you radically change the way the system is administrated so the costs are reduced?

The comparisons used by medicare for all advocates, between private insurance and Medicare administrative costs are flawed. The healthcare needs of people over 65 is different from those under 65.

I can't see how Bernie, Warren or anyone else would get it passed in congress. Yet people act as if by electing Bernie it's a done deal. If I recall correctly Pelosi said she would never bring it to the floor for a vote.

Gry

Veteran
We all could be better off if they cut fraud and waste for starters. Then greatly reduced the ratio of non caregiver administrative people to caregivers.

Healthcare is complex problem, the solutions put forth are not comprehensive enough to begin to solve the problem. Can you radically change the way the system is administrated so the costs are reduced?

The comparisons used by medicare for all advocates, between private insurance and Medicare administrative costs are flawed. The healthcare needs of people over 65 is different from those under 65.

I can't see how Bernie, Warren or anyone else would get it passed in congress. Yet people act as if by electing Bernie it's a done deal. If I recall correctly Pelosi said she would never bring it to the floor for a vote.
Someone else's waste and fraud needs to be cleaned up first.
Am shocked, I tell you, just plain shocked.

h.h.

Veteran
Can I compare what the government pays for a fuckin hammer to the $10 I pay at Home Depot?

I have full and outstanding coverage paid by my employer. The plan has some co pays which we get back through a HSA, something Bernie wants to do away with.

Under Bernie's plan I would go from excellent coverage with no premiums to government coverage and an additional $2800 a year in taxes.

If my employer goes from $12k a year to under $4k as per Bernie's plan he's going to pocket the $8k and I'm stuck paying out an extra $2800.

If your employer pockets $8k, that’d be your fault.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Here is a good quote and shows why Trump will win.

"""A deeper look at GOP-led states’ economic success explains why — but beyond the minutiae of simple policy, the bottom line is that electing a Republican often means increased growth and lower unemployment. An even stronger rule bears out the opposite when Democrats control the governor’s mansion."""

It comes from here a left leaning rag.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance...es-see-less-unemployment-more-economic-growth

Keep voting for your own destruction by voting in Dem. People vote with their wallet.

h.h.

Veteran
Even the link says “opinion”. If you highlight the word, you can look up the definition.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I like the fact that a republican run state like North Dakota has fast food workers earning $20 a hour. Not because the government rammed a minimum wage threw but because the economy has 2.5% unemployment.

So go ahead let the idiots in government ram a minimum wage threw so that your state will struggle.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Even the link says “opinion”. If you highlight the word, you can look up the definition.

Why don't you read the article where the author sites facts. You won't because you are to jaded to accept that you are wrong.

Here is a good one. The 23 states with the lowest unemployment has 17 run by GOP governors.

Or like I posted above about North Dakota having 2.5% unemployment.

But you don't really care about facts that don't support you flawed view.

Status
Not open for further replies.