What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

~Star~Crash~ All & Everything

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And finally this altogether $20 well spent
45243468-7AAE-40AF-ACE9-87966904B369.jpeg

oldmaninbc

I grew papaver somniferum a few times.. first time from McCormick spices seed. Grew white bloom flowers that I made a small ball of opium from.. smelled and tasted good but didn’t get you high. McCormick uses altered seed that doesn’t produce morphine I guess. Second time I bought the seed from Canada and it worked..

Some very pretty poppies there @oldmaninbc
Being Canadian I have no problem getting poppy seed. It is legal to grow poppies just don't be milking them.
I did order papaver somniferum from the UK one time and had to sign for them at the post office. The mauve/pinkish colored poppy I have grown for about 25-30 years. It is a mix of Nepalese and Hen & Chicks, the chick part of the cross is completely gone. With the Hen & Chicks you get these little mini pods growing around the central pod. It is a papaver somniferum as well. The color of the Hen & Chicks did transfer to the Nepalese. The newest one I have is the very dark colored flower poppy called Black Swan it is a papaver somniferum as well. I'm sure some will cross with my other, it will be interesting to see the outcome next year.

I grow them because I like poppy flowers. I am a chronic pain person and have a prescription for pain medication, since 2010.

Sub24ox7

Being Canadian I have no problem getting poppy seed. It is legal to grow poppies just don't be milking them.
I did order papaver somniferum from the UK one time and had to sign for them at the post office. The mauve/pinkish colored poppy I have grown for about 25-30 years. It is a mix of Nepalese and Hen & Chicks, the chick part of the cross is completely gone. With the Hen & Chicks you get these little mini pods growing around the central pod. It is a papaver somniferum as well. The color of the Hen & Chicks did transfer to the Nepalese. The newest one I have is the very dark colored flower poppy called Black Swan it is a papaver somniferum as well. I'm sure some will cross with my other, it will be interesting to see the outcome next year.

I grow them because I like poppy flowers. I am a chronic pain person and have a prescription for pain medication, since 2010.
I was an opiate opioid addict from 1998 to 2015. Got addicted to OxyContin/oxycodone when they first came out was prescribed to them. They were prescribing it left and right in the late 90’s.

oldmaninbc

These are kind of new apples with a name like that they grabbed me View attachment 19044808 View attachment 19044809
Washington has good apples. I am not sure if I have tried Cosmic crisp or not. I really like apples and eat them almost everyday when in season. So I eat different varieties but forget their names. Ambrosia is one of my favorites.
Here in southern bc there are many orchards. I really like a crisp, juicy and sweet with a hint of tartness.

The juice should be running down your face when eating it.

Sub24ox7

opiates are great medicine but must be used with caution/respect for it. I haven’t had any in years.. when my mother in law died she had some morphine left over. I broke my foot during the beginning of Covid and didn’t want to go the hospital so I used the left over morphine. Didn’t make me want more so.. I guess you can grow out of or move on from some addictions.

Last edited:

oldmaninbc

I was an opiate opioid addict from 1998 to 2015. Got addicted to OxyContin/oxycodone when they first came out was prescribed to them. They were prescribing it left and right in the late 90’s.
I have never had an addiction in the sense your referring to. I do have a physical dependency but not the mental addiction. I have taken pain medication everyday since 2010, twice, I have on my own lowered my use. The doc was all but shoving them down my throat at one time. I do not like the effects of opioids, it is not something I enjoy, I use them out of necessity. In all those years I have never once taken more than prescribed.

I couldn't image feeling the burning need for them. I am glad you escaped with your life, many have not.
It's a vicious drug that ruins lives and families.

oldmaninbc

opiates are great medicine but must be used with caution/respect for it. I haven’t had any in years.. when my mother in law died she had some morphine left over. I broke my foot during the beginning of Covid and didn’t want to go the hospital so I used the left over morphine. Don’t make me want more so.. I guess you can grow out of or move on from some addictions.
I also think, just because, say a person like cannabis, that doesn't mean you will like other drugs. Although there are people who believe that. Personally, I find very few drugs to my liking.

Last edited:

laszlokovacs

Oh man loving the beautiful flower pics... I screwed up and none of my poppies sprouted. I heard they can be hard to sprout in heat, maybe I planted a little too late.

I had Danish Flag, Hen & Chicks, Laurens grape and the seeds I saved last year. Seems like those are popualar varieties. I got too high off rosin and lost a couple thousand poppy seeds somewhere in my room bummer.

@oldmaninbc is the red ruffled one aPeony poppy? still a somniferum (sic?)

I really dig the Dapple Dandy pluots at price chopper/market32... havent seen those around my way yet. Looking decent.

Cosmic crisp is a decent apple, sometimes skin has weird chem taste. I have a tree of it haha cuts are hard to find though. I personally think evercrisp apples are better than cosmic crisp, if you see them around highly recommend. But the new generation of club apples are pretty much all sweet, juicy nd tasty even if theyre very similar to each other

Latest posts

Latest posts