What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Phylos still amazes me, but hopefully next week we'll know more.

Attachments

• 20190328_132539.jpg
    20190328_132539.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 32

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
A lot of years ago, 99/2000 I believe, I tried the nirvana version, I want to clarify that twenty years have passed, I was more than a beginner, and that it could have already been hybrids, well, having said that, I don't remember aromas of incense, rather peaches (catpiss?) , citrus fruits, pine resin ... also in other versions (thh, tfd, seedsman) have you found these aromas?

I think that in that time, there was a breeder who worked for positronics before. so it was probably same.. haze19. dont know how its is now. I still lived in that nirvana are those f2 seeds, but today its not true anymore.. otherwise I would grab their original haze.. but I dont believe them, as same as i wouldnt buy anything from seedsman, I just dont believe these seedbanks, they claim they have colombian x original haze cross and bumb totally wide leaf phenotypes.. seedsman is unreliable source for anything.. on the contrary to Tom Hill.. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7910674&postcount=6

leet

Updates day 37 ( ? I dont count :D )

This is my pure haze phenotype from my last current NH seed batch ( they weren't many ).

picture.php

I used this male for it's extreme early resin production and familiar Lemoncello smell ( that's how I call it, it reminds me of fake lemon alcoholic sweet beverage or something, sweet acidic citrusy metallic ). It is very stocky with thin leaves , tight internodes, a mostly nl5hazeA plant but RICKS of complex limes.

picture.php

I dusted the pure haze phenotype and today I am getting this :

picture.php

Can someone smell churchy frankincess catpiss piney pineapple/mango metallic goodness already?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I think that in that time, there was a breeder who worked for positronics before. so it was probably same.. haze19. dont know how its is now. I still lived in that nirvana are those f2 seeds, but today its not true anymore.. otherwise I would grab their original haze.. but I dont believe them, as same as i wouldnt buy anything from seedsman, I just dont believe these seedbanks, they claim they have colombian x original haze cross and bumb totally wide leaf phenotypes.. seedsman is unreliable source for anything.. on the contrary to Tom Hill.. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7910674&postcount=6

Haze 19.... I remember that I had taken some seeds in Amsterdam, 2005, I don't remember the brand but on 10 seeds only one germinated ....male....
Haze nirvana seemed authentic until the early 2000s, recently I found images on the web and they look like small kush ... I could even risk taking a package, but I would almost certainly throw away € 25....

Can someone smell churchy frankincess catpiss piney pineapple/mango metallic goodness already?
Beautiful plants, Leet! Is it possible that nirvana at the time sold Neville haze instead of haze ?? I miss that slightly sour taste of fruit and resin.

OldCoolSativa

Nevil did say which bags produced the haze A and the haze C, it was the 69 bag. All the seeds he poped from 70 bag was what thought Nevil was an OH cross and not pure since he found faster plants and not so good as the A or the C, thus Nevs assumes, that Sam, probably didn't even try to germinate these old seeds and he never even smoked the old Original Haze before the 70s. Does this relate to burning bush ? Who knows. HazeA does smell like burning bush to me. Maybe it's related to African.

I have collected some interesting posts by TomHill, I have no idea if they are from here or overgrow/cannabisworld ? Most probably all from here though Icmag. They were random notes in a text file and I thought I should share it. Some are bold because I thought these parts were interesting.

Thank you for compiling and posting that extremely useful information. It deserves a repost...

Tom Hill said:
"I picked up 4-5 15 packs of "original haze" from positronics in '95, as well as sk1, bred for earliness "hand pollenated by the skunkman" At any rate I'd like to get down to it Sam. Most of the Dutch hazes used in hybrids seemed to me from earlier f1 Mexican Colombian stock? A bit more sawn teak/leather of a flavor than the majority of Thai dominant citrus Haze I seemed to have aquired? Is this so? At any rate, the haze I have when it is on, can not be compared to by anything I have ever encountered, ever. Thank you sir for your efforts to make this so. I don't know what to tell folk that have not encountered this. It can be truly awsome. "

"Each year I pollinated females with male pollen mixes, then saved the seed from only the excellent females after the smoke was tested. In 2003, I gathered seed from all of the best plants from generations 1-6, grew them, and let them pollinate each other. Follow? But it gets more complicated, because each year I typically will sprout several generations of seed, not only seed from the latest generation. So that a high percentage of the later generations are products of matings to earlier generations. IE, there is a span of generations included, as apposed to an exact number of generations removed from the original source".

"If I was crunching numbers in the closet I would not cull a lamb. However, if I was dealing with numbers... I know Haze. It is resinous on the stem in veg to the tune of 75%, it smells like a metal shop for lack of a better definition to be sure, no other word for it."

"Haze plants are well culled to ommit the resinless vegging phenos, they are not many, maybe 25%. But do well to get rid of them, all that don't smell like a high school metal shop in early veg are not whorth growing out ime.- T"

"The 2003 seed lot was around (notes are not currently handy) 2-7 generations removed from Positronic stock. Let me try to explain a little better. Each year I pollinated females with male pollen mixes, then saved the seed from only the excellent females after the smoke was tested. In 2003, I gathered seed from all of the best plants from generations 1-6, grew them, and let them pollinate each other. Follow?
But it gets more complicated, because each year I typically will sprout several generations of seed, not only seed from the latest generation. So that a high percentage of the later generations are products of matings to earlier generations. IE, there is a span of generations included, as apposed to an exact number of generations removed from the original source. -Tom"

"I suppose I was guilty of looking on the bright side there somewhat, for yes, there's definitely some Hay in there too. All cannabis that does not have strong terpenes fall under the Hay category in my opinion - when there is nothing left but chlorophyll to smell. Yes, there are phenotypes in this line where all of the herbal, citrus, and metallic/oil properties are so faint that I do classify them as hay. These are most often phenotypes lacking resin. Many of these plants are chock-full of complex smells and flavors, but yes, there's some Hay in there too for sure. -Tom "

"In this particular Haze line, at 4-6 weeks old, resin will start to develop 3/4 up on the main stalk in 75% +/- of the plants regardless of photoperiod. The most resinous buds will develop from within this group in my experience - there seems to be some correlation there. If I was pressed for space, I would cull the 25% of plants that weren't producing resin on the main stalks by 6 weeks old. -Tom"

Another post on what side of haze is responsible for the good effects:
"That being said, I have always felt that it was more like the Thai I have smoked more than anything else. It is clear and electric and very strong, penetrating - rocks me to the core".

more info on TomHill haze:
"It is very complex but I'll give it my best shot. Three complex components. A Thai-like lime citrus, an herb collection (rosemary, thyme etc), and a high school metal shop (metallic/oily). These 3 components are represented to varying degrees depending on phenotype - some are more herbal, some more citrus, some more metallic etc". -Tom
"Yeah, there are some sweeter/pineapple like aromas in there too."

"If I was doing breeding work or really seeking a nice Haze clone I'd want to look at at least 20 females.

The high is not consistent, this has always been my experience with this Haze. Regarding effect, most I'd rank as an up, cerebral, sociable, medium/high potency to varying degrees. Some though are incredibly friggen potent - a sometimes concerning intense high that lasts for 4+ hours. Of course these later types are the ones we enjoy most, or I do anyway. My experience has been that approximately 5% are absolutely outstanding, representing well this reputation/legend of the Haze high. There is some full-on hay in there too, I don't know, I guess I'd say that 10-20% piss me off as a waste of time? The vast majority of the line though falls somewhere between these two extremes. -Tom"

"I do recommend the line as excellent breeding material."

"I'll go ahead and upgrade my assessment to agree with CBF's ^^ and say that there's a "good" plant in every 10 pack on average. But I have grown over a thousand of these Haze plants and once you find an "excellent" example then the bar is all shot to hell and then some forevermore - this is the place from where I am looking at it. Those are about one in twenty, this has been my experience with it. I do not know what your definition of average is, but if you're looking for the majority of what you grow from seed to be anything in particular, I would advise you to grow true F1 hybrids - none of which I offer currently."

"About 75% of them will have resinous stalks approx 3/4's of the way up+ on a sexed plant. It looks though that Miaumiau has removed many of the meristems for clones. The resinous stalks will reveal themselves then when these clones get to about 10-12 inches I reckon."

"I am familiar with most all current Original Haze offerings. To be fair though, some I have not looked at very extensively. However, none have been able to move me near as much as this old Sam line via Posi. My selections have focused on high-quality resin production, and imo this line is the Haze resin-queen.
Occasionally the typical armchair Haze expert will come along and inform me that my line is a Haze hybrid due to the occasional broader leaf - exactly like the drawings of the Thai seedling in the opening pages of Clarkes MJ Botany. It all falls on deaf ears though.
When I am requesting a clean-up on isle 9 due to my mind being split open, or am afraid to drive my car high on a decent sample (4 hours after smoking it) - all perspective is put in its proper place.
I'm almost afraid to release it, tehee, some of you will get so noided-out that you will shitcan your current IC accounts only to return a few weeks later under new handles after the Haze clears.
My friend CBF has been growing my Haze stock for years, and I don't think he'll part ways with it anytime soon.
This plant is my holy grail, by far, nothing can touch it."

leet

Nevil said:
Quote:
Where s L33t...
It's the first thought that popped into my head.
His NH is the best I've seen for a while.
N.

Neville_sHaze_SunlitCuredBud_004.jpg

Well, if my Nevils Haze is the best Nevil had seen for a while, I am happy to have lived and smoked the best!

Tribute to Nevil!!!

Rest in peace Nevil ! It was nice to meet you on Earth ! Have a nice journey! We will meet soon!!!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
haze hybrids, like NL5haze, are yeilding better than original haze, and what is even more important, it has better adaptability to indoor lighting and indoor envinronment in general.. original haze as other nld varieties don't like hps much. and it is really hard to bring it to full potential indoors.. that is also reason for you can hear its weak from some growers. in greenhouse it is much much easier.. at least in the past it was problem, today with all those led lights and special lights it can be easier, but still it will not yield like NL5haze.. that was main reason why to cross nld variety to wld variety, as wld helps with indoor adaptability..

JohnnyChicago

Sorry for the bad vibes. There are days I should better not post on forums!
Original Haze male getting old, re-invigorating right now. Nothing special in this picture, but it is Haze :)
picture.php

leet

haze hybrids, like NL5haze, are yeilding better than original haze, and what is even more important, it has better adaptability to indoor lighting and indoor envinronment in general.. original haze as other nld varieties don't like hps much. and it is really hard to bring it to full potential indoors.. that is also reason for you can hear its weak from some growers. in greenhouse it is much much easier.. at least in the past it was problem, today with all those led lights and special lights it can be easier, but still it will not yield like NL5haze.. that was main reason why to cross nld variety to wld variety, as wld helps with indoor adaptability..

^^ That's true, even my 3/4 Haze hates HPS only, it won't claw like this when given more blue light. It feels like the plant has a hard time to produce chlorophyll under HPS only and you have to give more N to keep it happy, while the MH makes it more effortless to keep it happy and green. 99% of plants will be extremely happy in the garden but the NH will look unhappy drooping and clawing indoors. You don't know what a technical plant is until you have grown hazes, not all pure sativas are THAT picky. I am sure its a combination of fertilizing, low RH and high transpiration rates too... but blue light helps a lot! ( also with stretch and terpene production ).

Neville_sHaze_16july_gerden002.jpg

Nevs Haze displaying characteristic clawing under HPS only indoor environment. Not all Nevs Haze will do this. I believe this is a Thai characteristic. If you find a haze plant that does this KEEP IT, you can thank me later :p

leet

Great beautiful plants Leet ! I hope my Nev.haze 2017 are still like those....
Trust me, we all do! MNS Nev's Haze, these NH I got these from Shantibaba in 2017 and I am out of seeds now, 40 day flowering under 8/16, 100% organic with carbon-filtered mountain spring water.

Lemon>Metallic>Peppery>Spicey Asian food. Smells I know and love :) This plant is my last hope from the last seed batch! It has the most similar characteristics to my 97 Nevs so far

picture.php

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
NYC Haze theory

My theory is that the NYC haze, on which the Dominicans had a locked-down, vertically integrated operation, is an Nl5xHzA cut. While Nevil never made the seeds commercially available, they were available to well-funded, high-volume buyers with whom he did business in the Cannabis Castle days. I think that a well-organized Dominican syndicate got hold of Nl5HzA beans and stumbled upon a remarkable pheno. Many others feel the NYC haze was a Neville's Haze cut.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
NYC Haze theory

My theory is that the NYC haze, on which the Dominicans had a locked-down, vertically integrated operation, is an Nl5xHzA cut. While Nevil never made the seeds commercially available, they were available to well-funded, high-volume buyers with whom he did business in the Cannabis Castle days. I think that a well-organized Dominican syndicate got hold of Nl5HzA beans and stumbled upon a remarkable pheno. Many others feel the NYC haze was a Neville's Haze cut.

I heard NL5 x Haze C

It’s definitely NL x Haze either way.

OldCoolSativa

NYC Haze theory

That's my theory too.

Cannavore

Veteran
NYC Haze theory

the fact that there's more than one NYC Haze seems to point to there not being a single "remarkable pheno"

Real NYC Haze looks almost like a stringy landrace, not this NL influenced rounded denser buds people have been posting.

Cannavore

Veteran
My theory is it isnt rare.. people just dont pop seeds lol.... Findable in anything... skunk x haze.... ssh...mangohaze.... nevilles... Just gotta grow properly, and be keen to whats phenos truly are better than others.

the terps might not be rare but finding one with the full package probably is. i've smoked piffy smelling ssh but it sucked balls compared to the real thing. ssh doesn't even hold a candle to nyc haze.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
WARNING || TFD O-Haze is not O-Haze anymore...

WARNING || TFD O-Haze is not O-Haze anymore...

here you can already see that the TFD O-HAze is not O-Haze anymore...
this wider leaf's already in beginning show huge indica influence...
to better comparison there are 4 seedsman o-haze ...

TFD O-Haze compared to Seedsman O-Haze
picture.php

be warned ... do not buy this shit!

i've bought the second time @ TFD headquater in Amsterdam...
was also complaining about that my last seeds where not the haze i had before... i also bought Titan haze and Fuma con dios... the last two did not even germ... all i can say now is forget TFD...
i will show them also the results... but like always do not expect anything...

M.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts